Monday, January 25, 2010

Homemaker Monday: Potato, Broccoli, and Cauliflower Casserole

Welcome to the 77th weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to Suzanne over at "The Singer Sentinel"! Suzanne teaches how to make the cutest, easiest aprons for the little girl in your life. Check out just one example...



My favorite part of featuring Suzanne is that I know her personally, but haven't seen her since her cute model was only two years old. Look at her now!

Thanks so much, Suzanne, for linking up and inspiring us today! Can't wait to try this! Please feel free to take the "I Was Featured" button from my left sidebar. For Suzanne's full tutorial, click HERE.

MINE: My favorite part about the following recipe is that it came together super-fast because of the "Big Mouth" food processor I used. (See link at the end of this post.) Enjoy!

Potato, Broccoli, Cauliflower Casserole



Ingredients:

10 cups sliced potatoes
7 cups chopped broccili
7 cups chopped cauliflower
1/4 cup butter
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 T paprika
1 T salt
2 t pepper
1/4 cup flour
4 cups milk
10 slices of bread
1/4 cup butter

Directions:

Step 1: Preheat over to 350 degrees F. In food processor (or, if you like to savor your food preparation, by hand), slice peeled potatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower. Here's how mine looked...



Step 2: Steam vegetables until tender. I steamed my potatoes on the stove...



...and my broccoli and cauliflower in the microwave. Since I don't have a special microwave steamer, I just used a ceramic mixing bowl, poured about 1/2 cup water over the veggies, and covered it with a plate. It worked like a charm...



Step 3: In saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter with spices, then add flour, stirring constantly.

Step 4: Pour in milk, and whisk until the sauce becomes thickened.

Step 5: In 2 greased 9x13 casserole pans, layer potatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower. Pour sauce over this mixture.

Step 6: In food processor, combine bread and 1/4 cup butter (Butter can be right from the fridge.). (I have to say that this is such an ingenious way to prepare bread crumbs. Gone are the days of trying to crumble the slices just right into even crumbs and trying to evening drizzle butter over the crumbs. Thanks, Farmer's Wife!)



Step 7: Sprinkle bread crumb mixture on top of vegetables, and bake at 350 degrees F until bread crumbs are browned and sides of casserole are bubbling, about 20 minutes...



Yes, I'm still making double of everything to prepare for the arrival of our little boy. Hope you enjoy this as much as we did! Thanks for listening.

Product helps I used for this recipe...



(If you click on any of the above links and purchase anything at all from Amazon.com, you are helping to put my 10 kids through college, so thanks!)

OURS: Okay, Lovely Ladies, what have you got for us today? Can't wait to see! Thanks so much for joining us on Homemaker Monday and I hope you have a wonderful week!

9 comments:

Eric said...

Hi, ur receipe is really cool and awesome, i truly like it & i will definetely try at my home. I just wanna suggest that u should go for blog advertising & marketing there is a website which is offering very unique features at affordable prices. There are Expert advertising teams who will promote ur blog & affiliate ads through all over the networks. All u have to do is submit your blog plus pay affordable prices and rest leave it to Advertising Team for Promotion & Marketing then see how u enjoy a lots of quality traffic plus good readers to ur blog. Finally I have bookmarked ur blog & shared with my friends.!!happy blogging!!.

Unknown said...

I love this recipe, I am going to have to adjust the recipe as with just 3 of us.. i think that is a whole lot!!

Cheryl B. said...

Dearest Jen, I would (strongly) suggest that you add one teaspoon of ground ginger to your recipe. Why? Both Broccoli and Cauliflower are vegetables which are good at producing gas inside of humans (was that said 'properly'? o;-p). And ginger works as a gas cutter while the product is baking .... j-u-s-t a suggestion ... ;-b

I really like your yellow Fiesta Ware mixing bowl!!!

As well as your blue pyrex baking pan. A friend's daughter LOVES (!!!!) the color blue. I have picked up a few pieces of the blue pyrex for her mom at estate sales, etc. and they are tucked away in a "hope" chest for now.

Anonymous said...

WOW that looks yummy!

Heidi said...

This sounds delicious! I think my family would really love it. We will certainly be trying it soon! Thanks!

Heidi

Unknown said...

This recipe sounds so good. Next week I am preparing food for a family of 8, that will be on our area doing a Homeschool conference. They have been dear friends to us online and we get to meet them in person, and I feel so honored to get to cook dinner for them and share table fellowship. I am definitly making this. Thank you Jen for sharing.

Expat Mom said...

What I LOVE about this recipe is that it doesn't use cheese! I find cheese very expensive here in Guatemala, so we rarely use it in cooking and pretty much every casserole that I see calls for cheese. I'll be trying this version!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Jen...that recipe looks great! It was so fun to visit with you this afternoon....you are such a sweetheart! I wish you lived closer!;)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Farmer's Wife, it was so fun to visit with you, too! I wish YOU lived closer!