Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Spring Green Chocolate Smoothie

Photobucket

So have I ever told you that my husband does all of our grocery shopping? Each week he goes to the states and shops at Sam's, where, even with the cost of gas, it's cheaper to shop than here in Mexico.

I am one lucky girl.

I email him a list, complete with the quantities of each item, and it is like placing an order at an internet grocer.

Except for one thing.

John grew up here in our tiny Mexican farm town, and here, one has to hoard, as one never knows when one will be taking a trip to the states to get groceries or other necessities. So, when I mentioned how I write the quantities next to each item, these quantities are not always acknowledged.

Now, I don't mean to sound ungrateful by any means, but sometimes, this causes just a small problem. For instance, I asked John to purchase a box of spring greens; one box of spring greens. One box will feed our family for about a week, and will spoil if it's left in the fridge any longer. John bought three boxes of spring greens.

Again, I am so grateful for the fact that he shops for me every week, but as I didn't want these spring greens to go to waste, I needed to come up with a way to use all three boxes during the week, and the following recipe is what I created... and it was magnificent... and I'm thankful for the silver lining on this incident that could have been ugly.

Spring Green Chocolate Shake

Ingredients:

2 cups almond or cow's milk
3 cups spring greens
2 ripe bananas
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 cup honey or agave nectar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 cups ice

Directions:

Blend all ingredients in a blender.

Note: As I learned in yesterday's recipe, a tad of soy sauce somehow brings out the chocolate flavor. Try it and you'll be amazed!

Really, this shake was delicious and I ended up drinking one for dinner and felt totally filled. Thanks again, John, for hoarding spring greens and giving me this opportunity to try something new. This is such an awesome way to get those sometimes illusive dark leafy greens!

Photobucket

Oh, and the kids loved it as much as I did, especially the twins. Want some?...

Photobucket

Thanks for listening!

On 365 Days of TV-Free Toddler Time today:
It's Football Time! Click the pic to see.



On life in mexico {and other places} a picture a day today:
{drum lessons}

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some spring greens in the fridge that need to be used. I'll have to make sure the kids don't watch me make this! LOL
Thanks!

Vera said...

Looks yummy, thank you! I'm thinking of using soymilk since my kids dislike the taste of almond milk.

Jb said...

I bet this is a really cleansing drink, isn't it? ;) Good for some spring cleaning!

Anonymous said...

Just letting you know...You can place an order to Sam's online. They will have your order pulled and ready for your husband to pick up. The website is easy. When you go to check out all that has to be done is scan you order receipt. I love online ordering.

Anonymous said...

OK if you promise promise promise me that you can't taste the spring leaves, I am gonna try & trick my kids into drinking this. Is the texture smooth or kind of ....leafy?

Salsa Mama said...

OK, I thought for a minute you would say the soy sauce was a joke. I have recently started putting spinach in all our smoothies--you can't taste a thing! I will try this one tonite. Even the soy sauce. ;0) Thanks for posting it!

Anonymous said...

Salsa Mama - sorry to sound dumb, but to you use frozen/drained spinach or fresh spinach leaves. I am desperate to get some leafy greens into my kids!

Salsa Mama said...

Not a dumb question! Use fresh spinach leaves. A large handful in a blenderful of smoothie. Can't see, smell or taste it. It's great! :)

Hen Jen said...

that sounds awesome, I'm going to have to try it, I love chocolate. I was going to skip the soy sauce, but then you put that explanation in..so now I'm intrigued...

Unknown said...

Wow thanks for sharing! I just had one of these and made one for breakfast too.

Mary said...

Ok, so Lauren tried your spring green smoothie, only we had spinach instead of spring greens. She LOVED it and now we have to have spinach and cocoa on hand at all times! Yummy!! Thanks!