Sunday, March 22, 2009

Homemaker Monday: How We Do Fruit

Welcome to...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs. (By the way, if you have been featured on Homemaker Monday in the past, your name is on my left sidebar. Check it out!)

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to The Blossoming Skillet! This fantastic lady has been working on perfecting one recipe for three months now! It's a recipe for which I have been searching for quite some time and I was THRILLED to find it linked up on Homemaker Monday last week. The Blossoming Skillet teaches us how to make whole wheat pita pocket bread. Look at these beauties...


She even grinds her own wheat, adding to the nutritional value of these versatile treats. I've been making lots of different hummus recipes recently and these pita pockets are going to make a perfect addition to my dips. For her entire post, click HERE! Thank you so much, Blossoming Skillet, for this awesome recipe and don't forget to take the "I Was Featured" botton from my left sidebar if you'd like!

MINE: The following is something that makes a vegan exceedingly happy...


I know, this looks like an ginormous amount of fruit, but remember that we are a family of ten (with lots of visitors) and it works to have this much fruit set out at the beginning of each week. In our case, it seems to work well to have each different type of fruit in a different bowl, that way the kids don't have to dig in the bowl for what they want, dropping and bruising fruit as they go. Incidentally, my kids were absolutely shocked when I told them that fruit can bruise. After learning that, they started being a little gentler when bringing the bags in from the van.

Back to the point, it makes me feel like I'm a good mom when I see the kids walking around biting on a apple or getting the paring knife out to peel a couple of kiwis. Sometimes I even break my own rule about eating in the living room if I see they have a healthy piece of fruit in their hand. Having fruit visible and easily accessible for the kids seems to be the key to enabling them to grab healthy snacks. We never have chips, cookies, Kool-aid, soda or any other junk food in the house. Fruits, vegetables and whole wheat bread are pretty much their only options as far as snack foods go, and they've gotten so used to it, they rarely complain.

So how about you? How do you enable your kids access to healthy snacks? What are some of their favorite healthy snack foods? I would really like to know. Hope the tip helps!

OURS: Okay, let's see what all of you wonderful homemakers are up to this fine Monday! If you didn't write a post especially for today, feel free to search your archives for tips, how-tos, recipes or any other kind of homemaking inspiration. Thanks for joining us today and I hope you have a great week!



If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

15 comments:

jac. said...

Thanks for the feature! I made four batches yesterday to freeze for the next month. Batches are so easy and I love the thought of having them ready to go for last minute snacks, sandwiches and pita pizzas.

Your fruit looks so good! We only have bananas on our counters, definitely way less of us though.

annies home said...

sounds like lots of great eating going on at your house I reckon love fruit and so don't my children

Salsa Mama said...

It does look like a lot of fruit, but I know how it goes so quickly! We fill 2 bowls and it doesn't last the week either. When I'm at the store I always feel like I'm buying so much then do the math like this- "So, if we each eat 2-3 fruits per day, then we really do need this much!" Then you include extra for friends... It adds up!

Cambria said...

That is great! I just wanted to say thanks for all the inspisration. I really have been watching way more what I eat lately and have been feeling so good. Still haven't conquered the headaches completely, but better. Where do you get all that fruit? Here or EP? I want a kiwi! =)

Anonymous said...

Actually, that doesn`t look like that much fruit for 10+ people. We easily eat that many bananas and apples, plus another few lbs of berries and assorted other fruit each week and there are only four of us (two being toddlers).

I always keep apples and bananas on hand, plus LOTS of carrots because my boys are nuts about carrots. That`s their bedtime snack, a handful of carrot sticks. Dorian frequently pops his head into the fridge to see what`s there and will almost always choose a piece of fruit (he occasionally opts for veggies) and gets some for his brother, too.

One question, though. How do you keep fruit flies at bay with all that fruit on the counter?

Anonymous said...

I love your kitchen! And all that fruit look so nice too!
have a nice day :)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

ExPat, I usually don't have too much of a problem with fruit flies, although if the fruit goes bad, they do seem to be a problem. I just make sure to throw away molding or rotting fruit quickly. It's also very dry where we live, so that might be a factor. Good luck with that!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Cambria, John usually brings me back most of the fruit from the states, but some is cheaper here, like the avocados and limes. Sure do wish we had a better selection here, though!

alpinekleins said...

I missed the go-round last week :( So sad! Glad to be back, can't wait to come visit everyone!

KristinK

Anonymous said...

We have two bowls of fruit out right now. I love when they eat fruit! We aren't the healthiest eaters around, but I rarely buy potato chips. It does limit their snacking to better stuff.

Your kitchen is beautiful! :-)
~Kim

Anonymous said...

DD asked that I buy 3 bags of apples this time. We go through pretty good too. I do have to admit that we have some junk food but they don't go for them very often. Wheat bread, still working on that. It's a texture thing w/my kids.

Marilyn said...

I love those pretty bowls! That's a great idea. I have fruit scattered everywhere.

Dianna said...

Wow, I'm going to check out that pita bread recipe right now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link ! I am always on the look out for whole grain recipes. If I can't find them I convert my own recipes ! [0= I will have to try these this week and have it with my low fat humus. Ohhh I am getting hungry for it now. lol

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary

alpinekleins said...

Thank for for sharing! I always look forward to each new week to go visit and discover lots of wonderful new HOMEMAKING tips!

Thanks again,

kristin K