Friday, August 6, 2010

Every Man's Trash Was My Father's Treasure

Sorry I haven't blogged in a couple of days, but I've been hosting daily yard sales at my mother's home. Some of the things we've sold include my father's 21 cars that didn't run, 2 buses filled with old wood and other random objects, lots of scrap metal, and some vintage Urology Digests. Yes, these are the treasures my father left us.

Photobucket

Thanks, dad. Your "treasures" are bringing in a few hundred dollars at each yard sale, but why couldn't you have collected coins? Miss you.... :)

Thanks for listening.


Today on....
-life in mexico {and other places} a picture a day: {two girls on staten island ferry}
-365 Days of TV-Free Toddler Time: No-Cost Arcade Time!
-Fotografia Colonia: Savannah - 9 Days Old

6 comments:

alessandra said...

21 cars, 2 buses...?!? you have a lot of space!

Alison @ mommadidit.blogspot.com said...

My father in law is the same way. He collects cars that he will get to "someday." We've already had to take some in for scrap metal TWICE because he ran out of room! People know he is good with cars and don't know what else to do with them, so they just give them to him.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Ale, yes my parents have some space, about 1.5 acres, so lots of room to collect cars that don't run!

Alison, at least people just have your dad the cars. My dad actually BOUGHT his junk cars!

Brian + Cheryl B. said...

Hi Jen :-)
Have you ever seen the cable show 'Pickers'. It's a couple of guys whom own a company named 'Antique Archelogogy', that travel around searching the country side for 'pack rats' such as your dad.

In life, some people stash auto related stuff. Some people stash 'antiques'. Some people stash any and every thing ever made or done by their kids. Others stash all of it, thus the show 'Hoarders'.

My MIL is a huge collector. And that, my friend, is an understatement! First impression upon walking into her house, is that you've entered a house turned shop. Your tempted to look behind things on the wall, or pick up items sitting everywhere to see what price is on them. Seriously! But all of her stuff is 'valuable'/'worth something'.

Her opinion of my FIL's 'stuff' on the other hand is totally different. One day, in a very firm, no - nonscense, 'don't mess with me' tone of voice, he informed her, "It's people like me that make antiques for people like you!!!".

The funny(!!) part is, that she's the one that brings the situation up, muttering about it the whole time! hilarious!

What you don't sell of your dad's, you might be able to take to the scrap metal yard for some $.

maggie said...

http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers

alessandra said...

I was watching a movie with Sandra Bullock, and her mother had a lot of weird stuffed animals in her house.
And the mother said: one day all this will be yours!
Does it remind you something?
;)