Monday, November 10, 2008

Make your own whole grain pancakes without a grain grinder!

We're Mormon, and in case you didn't know it, Mormons are counseled to have a year's supply of food on hand at any given time. This food storage can be used in case of a natural disaster or other calamity, a loss of income, the sudden onset of illness or death, or any other unforeseeable circumstance in which the families food supply is diminished. Our family has chosen to heed this counsel, and because we have such a large family, we literally have two tons of food, one ton of which is wheat. Yeah, I know...weird.

We are also counseled to rotate and use our food storage, with good reason. It's all good and great if you have a ton of wheat for your family, but what if you don't know how to use it, and worse, what if your body isn't used to the whole grain goodness? That could be a problem. That last thing you would want in times of calamity is a gassy, upset intestinal tract.

In my quest to be an moderately decent Mormon homemaker, I have tried to incorporate whole wheat into my food preparation as much as possible. In previous posts, we have talked about whole wheat recipes such as:

Whole Wheat Pie Crust
100% Whole Wheat Bread Machine Bread
and
Fresh Berry Crisp

(In case you didn't know, if any print is blue in my posts, that means it's a link and if you click on it, you'll go to some other page.)

Today, I would like to share with you one of my favorite whole wheat recipes that doesn't involve the use of a wheat grinder. As long as you have a blender, you can make these hearty whole grain pancakes! Here's what you'll need:

1 1/2 cups butter milk (or 1 1/2 cups milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar added - let sit for 10 minutes before using)
1 egg
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole wheat berries
1/4 cup oats (not instant)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sweetener, such as sugar, honey, or molasses

In case you've never used whole wheat before, here's what it looks like...


...and you can buy it at any health food store.

Step 1: Blend the first 6 ingredients in a blender very thoroughly. This could take up to five minutes, depending on your blender. Just make sure, however, that you listen carefully to your blender for a change in the motor sound. If this mixture is over blended, the gluten in the wheat will begin to bind and create a sticky substance that will reek havoc on your blender. If this happens, stop the blender immediately.

Step 2: Pour the contents of the blender into a mixing bowl...


(Your batter should be smooth as shown above...)

...and add the rest of the ingredients. At this point, one of your children could help stir...


Okay, even though the two-year-old is doing a good job at this point, let's switch to the 6-year-old for the final mix-up before disaster occurs...


Step 3: Pour on a hot, buttered griddle...


(I love my George Foreman that can cook up to 12 pancakes and three quesadillas!)

...and cook on both sides until light golden brown.

Step 4: Top with butter and syrup or anything else you want and enjoy!


(This was the 16-year-old boy's serving. He was so happy.

So were these boys...)



(If you've been following this blog, I'll bet you can tell which one is Joseph and which one is Hyrum, can't you!)

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Have a GREAT Tuesday!

I am pleased to list this post at...

-Tip Junkie's "Talk to me Tuesday",
-5 Minutes for Mom's "Tackle It Tuesday",
-Tammy's Recipe's "Kitchen Tip Tuesday",
-Blessed With Grace's "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday",
-Mary's "Tightwad Tuesday",
and -The Lazy Organizer's "Talk About Tuesday".

Check out these blogs! You're going to love 'em!

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe
(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

17 comments:

Shan said...

Looks like a great recipe and a great way to utilize wheat without a grinder.

Betty said...

Looks good! And yes, I could tell which twin is which! :)

Our Food Recipes said...

Hi..you have a great and informative blog. Just added and faved you. Hope you can join Our Food Recipes. Thank you.

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

Today I'm using your recipe for those fabulous energy bars!

And not I'm interested in this recipe cause we are pancake eating family.

Susie said...

What a yummy tackle:-)

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

WOW, those look great! My stomach couldn't handle them, but they look yummy! The babies liked them for sure!
And MODERATELY DECENT MORMON HOMEMAKER! PLEASE! YOU TAKE THE CAKE BABY!
You make me look like POOR PITIFUL MORMON MORON! LOL

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow, I never knew that about Mormons. That was awesome to know, thanks for sharing!!!! And the pankcakes look beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have tasted this recipe Jen and it is delicious. Our family really liked them. My kind of recipe.

jayedee said...

i didn't know george forman made a griddle this big!! woo hoo! i know what's going on my wish list for christmas!
i wonder if this recipe would work in the food processor? i have a work horse kitchen aid, but my blender is a wimpy little thing that struggles to even make a smoothie lol!

Stephanie said...

I'll have to try this. I've got some wheat that needs to be used.

Jamey said...

great recipe, I think I now need one of those george foremans! Happy TMTT!

laurice. said...

So yummy! Thanks for sharing!

GlorV1 said...

Those pancakes look delicious and how neat that your children are there helping you. I use a lot of wheat products as well. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Great job!! I have never used not ground whole wheat. neat idea, Looks like the little and big ones enjoyed them!

No I can't tell which is which, can you with mine?? Ha!

Bethany Cox said...

Um, remember when we were very poor and all you ever made for us were wheat pancakes? I do, and I can't eat pancakes to this day for that reason. Oh, and also because they have milk, butter, and egg in/on them. But whatev, that's cool.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

So impressed! I did not know about the one year of food storage. So glad you keep participating in TMTT. Keep coming back. We are going to have a great giveaway in December!

Carla said...

Keep posting those easy to do wheat recipes for the rest of us have-wheat-and-need-to-learn-to-use-it people like me! I think hubby will like this one!