Thursday, February 26, 2009

Vegan Food My Kids Like: 15 Bean Soup

Fifteen bean soup has always been a favorite of mine. As a vegan, I especially love it because it offers a vast variety of different nutrients and phytochemicals. Take a look at all the different beans this soup packs...


-Northern beans
-Pinto beans
-Large Lima beans
-Blackeye beans
-Garbanzo beans (chick peas)
-Baby lima beans
-Green split peas
-Kidney beans
-Cranberry beans
-White beans
-Pink beans
-Red beans
-Yellow split peas
-Lentils
-Navy beans
-Black beans
-White kidney beans

Protein, calcium and iron are the nutrients vegans need to take special care to include in their diets and just one cup of this soup has 20% of your daily iron requirement, 8% of your daily calcium requirement and 16 grams of protein! And it's SOOO easy to make. Here's how I do it...

Ingredients:
2 packages 15 bean soup
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons salt
Pepper to taste
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 avocados, diced
Tortilla chips

Step 1: The night before you plan on making this, place the beans in a large bowl full of water and leave to soak overnight. This makes the beans a bit easier to digest, if you know what I mean.

Step 2: In the morning, drain and rinse the beans, then place them in a crock pot along with the garlic and fill the crock pot with water to 1 inch from the top. Turn the crockpot on high and cook for about six hours or longer, until the beans are soft and tender. You may need to add water periodically.

Step 3: There will be a seasoning packet in your bean bag. Throw it away. It has artificial ingredients and food additives that are hard to say. You don't need that. Just add the salt and pepper and stir. Your beans are now ready to serve. Garnish with chopped tomatoes, cilantro and avocados. My kids love to crumble tortilla chips on top (Nacho Libre-style), but since I'm more sophisticated, I like to eat mine like this...


Hope you enjoy this as much as we did tonight!

I am pleased to list this post @ Biblical Womanhood's "Frugal Friday". Check out her blog for TONS for great money-saving tips!
I am also pleased to list this post at...

-Tip Junkie's "Talk to me Tuesday",
-5 Minutes for Mom's "Tackle It Tuesday",
-Tammy's Recipe's "Kitchen Tip Tuesday",
-Blessed With Grace's "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday",
-The Cheese Slave and Kelli's "Real Food Wednesday",
-Mary's "Tightwad Tuesday",
Kim's Tasty Tuesday and
and
-The Lazy Organizer's "Talk About Tuesday".

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

17 comments:

L2L said...

OH thanks for this recipe!!!! I need to come up with 7 more recipes to add to my grocery list and this one is an add for sure!!!!

Rhonda said...

Ok Here's a question that might sound wierd...what tortilla chips are ok for vegans? do you make your own or is there a particular brand you can eat?

Also, you say that we might need to add water periodically. For someone that's never done beans in a crock pot (me!) how do you know when to add? Just if it's running low?

I'm so going to store some of these dry beans. yum!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Hi RhondaLue, to answer your question, I always read the ingredients on my chips. The ones I buy are sold are Sam's and they are just regular tortilla chips, but they are made with vegetable oil, not lard or other animal fats. About the addition of water to the soup, yes, just check it periodically and if it's getting low, just add more water! Good luck and let me know how the family likes it!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know there were so many kinds of beans...seriously.

I was at a friends house and was served a shake made with spinich, bananas and brocolli...it made me think of you. It didnt taste bad at all so I will go back and try your recipe. Thanks

AmyK said...

YUM! Oh my goodness, I think I'll have to go shopping soon so I can make this. It sounds, looks, and tastes great! (Okay, so I'm just imagining the taste...)
Sure is making my mouth water!

Bethany Cox said...

i was really excited to make this tonight but then i read about the soaking overnight and simmering for six hours and i got sad.

Emily said...

Can't wait to try this, wish I had read this two hours ago before I went to the grocery store. Can't wait to see more of your new vegan recipes, especially if they are ones that children will like.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

So Bethany, get excited to make it tomorrow night!

Anonymous said...

I love bean soup recipes and this sounds especially delicious. Thank you for sharing it :)

Brenda said...

yummmm, all that fresh cilantro!

Anonymous said...

15 Bean Soup is one of my family's favorites! Kids really seem to love it! Thanks for a great food post as always!!!!
-Kim

Pierrette said...

This sounds so yummy, I think I might try it this week

thanks for sharing.

Pierrette from Wiseman Conspiracy

Kristen said...

The finished shot with the toppings is so pretty - this is a great recipe!

Susie said...

What a yummy tackle!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

This sounds great. Since we aren't vegan, I think I may add some smoked sausage to the mix, as well. Thanks for sharing.

Coralee said...

So, I made this today. I'm a little slow, but I followed it exactly, so for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, it was a little much! Anyway, my crockpot must be a lot smaller also, because I could only fit half the beans. It was delicious by the way. My husband said "This looks healthy"...which usually means it won't taste good...but he ate it! :)
I was just wondering, I have about 6 cups of "overnight-soaked" 15 bean mixture that I didn't use and I'm wondering what I can do with the soaked beans? Can them? (I don't have a pressure-cooker or a large pan to seal cans). Anyway, just wondering if you had ideas. Thanks!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

As far as the soaked beans, you could either freeze them or sprout them if you can't can them. To learn how to sprout, you can check out my post here...
http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/2009/01/sprouted-wheat-manna-bread.html
Good luck with this!