Thursday, August 19, 2010

What Ed Said About Guacamole

My father was THE guacamole aficionado. When he went to watch the game at his friends' house on Superbowl Sunday, he would always make a very huge bowl of it to bring along. He was well-known for it and everyone expected and loved it.

Now, I will pass his teachings to me onto you. I've changed up the recipe a bit to suit my lifestyle, but it's still really good!

Ed's Guacamole
Photobucket

Ingredients:
6 avocados (to learn about how to easily remove an avocado from its peel, go HERE)
The juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili-lime powder (optional)
1 regular-sized can Rotel tomatoes and green chili (optional)
1 regular-sized can of corn (optional)

Directions:
Step 1. Remove the avocados from their peels and place them in a large mixing bowl...

Photobucket

Add salt and spices and mash with a bean masher...

Photobucket

Step 2. Drain the liquid from the tomatoes and corn...

Photobucket

...and gently mix into the avocado mixture.

And you're done. Now spoon it from the mixing bowl to a pretty bowl and enjoy!

Photobucket


Today on some of my other blogs...
365 Days of TV-Free Toddler Time: Looking at old blog posts Time!
life in mexico {and other places} a picture a day: {a sax player down town}

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! One for my favorite things

Emily Heizer said...

Guacamole is my favorite food on the whole planet. I eat it every day! Seriously! You can put guac on anything, or just eat it plain, it's delish! It should be it's own food group. :) I make mine up with just garlic salt usually but if I've got it on hand I'll do lime and cilantro and pico if I've got that.

Very few things make me happy these days... I was glad to see this post. This secret 5th food group is too often ignored.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I agree, Emily, it should be its own food group! And it's so good for vegetarians because it has all the right fats!

alessandra said...

I'm a guacamole lover too, I make mine with fresh grated onion ( a bit ) smashed garlic, lemon juice and a little mayo.
And yes it has ALL the right FAT ;)

Melis said...

Don't forget to add the pits back into the finished product - it helps it keep it's beautiful green color longer!

Brian + Cheryl B. said...

Hi Jen :-)
You know me, always curious .... what was it that your father did to his that you changed?

Personally, we don't care for guacamole. But we have learned that serving it on a Fajita bar makes many people delighted!

{"Melis" That is a very useful tip you shared!!!!}

Jen, I'm sorry but I must also disagree with something else from this posting and it's comments thus far ... o;-) ... CHOCOLATE is the other basic food group, and hopefully the next time the 'Health Dept.' redoes their food pyramid, they will get it right! o;-p

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Hi Cheryl! My father would regularly put raw onions, tomatoes and salsa in his guacamole. Since John doesn't like raw onion, I have done away with it. He also never put corn in his, but I like it because it gives it more texture.

Trisha said...

Nothing better than a good aguacate. Looking forward to trying your guacamole recipe.