Monday, February 21, 2011

Homemaker Monday: Marie Callendar's Copykat Cornbread Mix

Welcome to the 121st weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to Christ at Grey Umbrella! She posts a recipe for lemon cake cookies, and she says "This one of the best cookies I've ever made!" My husband loves lemon cookies, so I know I'll be trying this later on in the week. Look how yummy....

Photobucket

Can't wait! Thank you so much, Christi, for linking up to Homemaker Monday and please feel free to grab the "I Was Featured" button from my left sidebar. We'll look forward to hearing more from you in the future! For an enlarged version Christi's recipe, go HERE.

MINE: So for YEARS I've been trying to make a good batch of corn bread, but have always turned out a dry, crumby pan full. One day John brought home a bag of Marie Calendar's corn bread mix, to which one only had to add water to make a recipe. I tried it, and it turns out that it was the best corn bread I've ever had in my life. It was sweet, and moist and one piece was never enough.

However, you all know how much I loathe using mixes in my meal preparation. They are usually loaded with unhealthy ingredients such as hydrogenated oils, MSG and preservatives. So about a week ago I googled "Marie Calendar's corn bread recipe" and found THIS! It seems simple enough, and not too special, but can I just tell you that it was to die for? The only negative experience I had with this recipe was that by the time I got to the bread, there was only one piece left, which was not sufficient for my needs.

And since I've been loving to create convenient baking mixes, I've come up with a corn bread mix using this recipe. It makes whipping up a batchway too easy. I don't have a photo of the finished product today, but it looks like any other corn bread. It just tastes way better. Here it is.....

For the Mix:

Ingredients:
5 cups flour
3 cups cornmeal
8 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cups powdered milk

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, whisk all ingredients together until uniformally mixed.
2. Divide into 4 jars or Ziploc bags.

For the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 bag of Corn Bread mix
1/4 cup of butter, softened
1 egg
1 1/4 cups water

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients until just mixed.
2. Pour into a greased 8x8-inch pan.
3. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

OURS: Okay, now it's your turn! I can't wait to read all of your homemaking tips, recipes, how-tos, and even disasters! We can learn from those, too! Thanks so much for your visits and links and have a wonderful Homemaker Monday!




P.S. My sister and I are finally getting skinnier!
See how we're doing it HERE! :)

7 comments:

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Thank you for hosting this linky. Hope you don't mind me joining in.
I linked up my Asparagus risotto.

Those lemon cake cookies looks so delicious and I need t try your cornbread recipe. My oldest loves it and I can't ever get it right.

annies home said...

thanks for hosting this link up I love to share and get new ideas I love your idea of the cornbread as we make it alot and this would be easy to keep on hand

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Thank you for hosting :) Those lemon cookies you featured look wonderful! Have a lovely day.
Katie

BarbaraJo said...

YUM! I am so excited!!!

Andrea (Andreas Kitchen) said...

Happy Monday! I am sharing my recipe for Chicken Cacciatore. It is great tasting and super healthy- just right for this cold weather that everybody is having!
If anyone needs a really good cornbread recipe that is gluten free I have one on my blog. I just made it last night to go with some soup and it's yummy! Here's the link: http://www.andreaskitchen.net/2010/07/gluten-free-cornbread/
Thanks for hosting!

thriftycheapskate said...

Thanks for the corn bread recipe. I will have to give it a try.

a moderate life said...

Hi Jen, those lemon cookie cakes look so good! I just made some lemon curd and will have to try these dipped in it for extra lemon flavor! I am linking up a recipe for home made paneer cheese. I used raw milk and it turned out great! All the best, Alex