Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Please Join Us for the "Questions About Mormonism Live Chat" RIGHT NOW!

Welcome to this week's "Questions About Mormonism Live Chat".


(This is my all-time favorite artistic rendition of Jesus Christ, by Heinrich Hoffman.)

Today, Tuesday, from 10:00 AM to 11:45 AM MST, I will be right here by my computer to answer any questions you've ever had about Mormon beliefs, lifestyle and doctrine. Or, if you just want to say hi, that's okay, too! To participate in the chat, just click on the "__COMMENTS" link below this post, write your comment in the comment box, publish it, then refresh the page as desired to view the responses.

Today, I'd like to share with you what a Mormon sabbath at our house looks like. Every Mormon family is different when it comes to the how they keep the sabbath, depending upon the ages of their children, the different church responsibilities of the parents on Sundays, etc., but this is a general idea of what goes on during a Mormon sabbath...

First, I get the eight kids ready for church, as John attends meetings from 7:30 in the morning until church begins at 11:00. (Our church has an unpaid, lay clergy, of which John is a part of, being the ward clerk. Thus trainings, meetings and other activities take place outside normal work hours, during volunteer time.) Wait, let me correct myself. I supervise in getting the eight kids ready. The 14-year-old girl actually got both twins ready and the 9-year-old boy dressed the 3-year-old boy. The 17- and 13-year-old boys had to leave for church early to prepare for the sacrament ordinance.

Here is how we ride to church (and everywhere else for that matter)...



The 7-year-old girl is being helpful and starting up the van for me...



Twin B is in position and ready to go...



...over the river and through the woods...



After driving the 2 minutes it takes to get to church, each big kid is assigned a buddy to bring in, while I carry in the gargantuan diaper bag and the organ and piano music.

Buddy pair-up #1...



Buddy pair-up #2...



Buddy pair-up #3...



(I know the 14-year-old girl's buddy looks the same as in the first buddy pair-up, but their not. I promise. I don't even know who is who, but they are different babies.)


This is where the photos ended for a time, as I didn't want to freak anyone out by snapping their picture at church. We had a wonderful church service, though, and I wish I could have gotten it on film as the children performed their yearly children's program. Our family was also privileged to be able to sing a special musical number, all ten of us! As I listened to the 9-year-old boy sing his solo as he stood in front of me, his little voice shaking a bit from nerves, it was difficult for me to come in when I was supposed to as I was holding back tears.

After church, which lasted for three hours, including 2 more classes where we attend Sunday school, then separate into men's and women's classes, we headed home.

By this time it was about 2:30, so we got comfortable...



...and I laid down with the twins to put them to sleep while the kids finished getting dinner ready. I had frozen a meatloaf which was now baking in the oven, so all they had to do was prepare the side fixin's.

Unfortunately, I had developed a severe sinus headache and ended up falling asleep with the twins until about 4:30. I then had the leftovers the family had saved me, John went to another training meeting, the 13-year-old boy waited outside for his ride to go home teaching (to learn more about Mormon home teaching, go HERE)...



...and since the twins were still asleep, I went back to bed with them, as I again wanted to become unconscious and escape my sinus pain. Because the twin's schedule had been messed up due to the time change, we all ended up sleeping until 6:30!

After we FINALLY woke up, we got something to eat again and just kind of hung out until dad got home. We watched The Prince of Egypt (love that movie) and made hot chocolate. And no one wanted to do the dishes...



...so no one did. Not that I believe it would have been wrong to clean up after ourselves on the sabbath, but we just didn't want to.

So, I guess after writing this, I have to say that this is probably not a "normal" sabbath for us, what with me trying to become unconscious most of the day, but this gives you an idea of what a Sunday in the life of me is like. Thanks for listening!

One more thing...I know this is a lot for one post, but I just wanted to share a beautiful message about what The Atonement of Jesus Christ can do for us...



Now let's chat! If you don't have any questions, just come on in and say hi!

Love this post and want more?

Enter your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

...or subscribe in a reader!

30 comments:

purejoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Nope, purejoy, you are the first! Things usually get started kind of late around here!

So, to answer your question, Mormons believe that without Jesus Christ, there is NO WAY we can enter into the kingdom of Heaven. God has told us that no unclean thing can dwell with him, and no matter how hard we try, we are going to mess up sometimes. That is why Jesus Christ atoned for our sins, to pay the price for the mistakes we make.

We believe that in order to benefit from this atonement, we must accept Jesus Christ as our Savior and repent of our sins on a regular basis. We believe that through His mercy, we can be saved this way. We also believe that we have to do our part as well. We believe there is justice along with mercy, and that we can be saved only after we have done our best, after all we can do.

We believe that God gave us commandments for a reason, and that we are called upon to follow them, to do His works. We believe that faith and works go hand in hand, but we know that even with all the good works we could ever do, that we still could not be clean enough to enter into God's presence, so we worship Jesus Christ as our Savior and revere Him for his atoning sacrifice.

Shannon said...

I have read a lot of talk about how the old laws, Old Testament, has been dealt with with the birth of Jesus Christ. Often it makes me wonder with the way things are said that the OT is no longer relevant. Hopefully this question is making sense.....What is the LDS view on the teachings of the OT and have those things that God brought to the people been 'fulfilled' through the blood of Jesus?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Shannon, we love and use the Old Testament. All the prophets there testify of Christ and that is so important. We also believe that those who lived in Old Testament times were asked to live the Law of Moses, such as offering up sacrifices of the first-born of the flock, in symbolism of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, God's Only-Begotten and first-born son.

After Christ came, however, He fulfilled the law and the new law was born. Instead of "thou shall not commit adultery", a higher law took it's place...

Matthew 5:27 ¶ "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

This is just one example of the higher law. There are more in Matthew 5 and elsewhere.

Does this answer your question and make sense?

Lindsey said...

Just stopping in to say hi and I think what you're doing is wonderful. I'm LDS, having a rough week, and just last night saw the Messages video that you posted. It doesn't get old, especially during hard times:) Keep up the good work!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Thank you so much, Lindsey! Might I ask to which video you are referring? Was it here or over at MckMama's forum?

Lindsey said...

It was the Lifting Burdens one, here.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Oh, okay, Lindsey. I love that you can recognize the voices of the apostles. Love them!

Lindsey said...

Yes! Each of their voices is so distinct and full of love and peace. I love having their guidance in my life; don't know where I'd be without it.

Shannon said...

Oh I have another question or two for ya.

1. I was, for about 2 years, a member of the United Pentecostal Church. This is a very 'legalistic' religion and sadly enough is probably the religion I belonged to that caused me the most issue with the bible and religion.

They had very strict rules. Women are NOT allowed to cut their hair. A woman's hair is her glory. Women are NOT allowed to wear makeup. They would be behaving as Jezebel. Women are NOT allowed to wear pants. That would make them be like men which is NOT ok.

The rules for men? They are not to grow facial hair.

No television...but you can go see movies and have a tv to watch movies on.

Do the Mormon beliefs have strict laws like the UPC church does?

2. The Catholic church confuses me on many levels :) (no offense to any Catholics out there)

They have saints and statues and such. Do the Mormons have any such things?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

So that talk by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin which was highlighted in the video....Do you remember if that was the one where he had to be supported at the stand by Elder Russell M. Nelsen? That was so touching and made me cry. I guess I could look it up. :)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Shannon, you ask a good question. While it would be nearly impossible to go over all the "rules" we adhere to, to address the standard of dress, we do believe that men and women should dress modestly and conservatively. Modestly, so as not to cause members of the opposite sex to have impure thoughts, and conservatively so that others can see us for who we are on the inside, not be distracted by facial piercings, red mohawks, and the like.

As far as having saints to worship, no, we do not. We only worship Jesus Christ, but we revere and respect many other prophets, including Moses, Abraham, Isaiah, Paul, Peter, prophets of The Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith and our current prophet, President Thomas S. Monson. We love these people and try to learn more about their teachings as we believe they were and are prophets called of God.

Rachel said...

How do I join the chat?

Shannon said...

See I am trying to grasp understanding of other people's perspectives and views.

I get a little grouchy with people that are so quick to judge other people for how they believe even though faith and belief should be and really is an individual relationship that nobody else should judge or say is wrong.

Now that being said :) do you believe that someone must be LDS or they will never know salvation or is it that they have to have a relationship with Jesus and God?

Rachel said...

I like what you said about the not having distracting attire (red mohawk). That is just as attention grabbing as immodesty.

My neighbor is mormon and says she will become a god like Jesus and "perfect" herself by bearing children. Do all mormons believe this?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Shannon, we believe that everyone who does not have the chance to receive the gospel in this life will gave the chance in the next. We also believe that the first step to receive salvation is to be baptized, as is spoken of in The Bible, by the proper authority. We believe that no just anyone can baptize, but only someone with the priesthood of God.

That being said, I believe that God knows all of our hearts and can determine what capacity we had to believe in Him and will judge us all fairly.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Rachel, this is a great question. We do believe that if we live worthily, we can, one day, many millennium from now, become gods and goddesses. Having children helps us to learn many things, but we do not believe that one must have children in order to attain the highest level of salvation. There are many who cannot have children, but desperately wish to, and others who aren't married, but long to be. Does this answer your question?

Rachel said...

Thanks for clarifying. Thank you also for explaining your thoughts of Christ's atoning work (to a PP poster).

I know this is not on the topic of Mormonism, but since reading more of your blog I am fascinated by your life. How did you meet your current hubby (and what a wonderful fella to take in 6 kids!)?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Rachel, my pleasure...By the way, I'm probably going to sound like an idiot, but what is a "PP Poster"? To answer your question about how I met my husband and how he took on SIX KIDS!, let me refer you to the "About Us" tab at the top of my blog. Of you can just go here...

http://rtheyallyours.blogspot.com/2009/08/this-is-my-life.html

Thank you so much for asking!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Might I ask all of you a question? Where did you hear about this chat? I am trying to determine which avenue of advertising works best. Thank you!

alessandra said...

Hi....nothing to ask, but thank you for sharing a day of yours, included kitchen sink and beautiful blue eyed son, I think one day I will know your life better than mine!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

See Alessandra, you made me laugh again! And thank you for your sweet compliments. I always LOVE your comments and look forward to them every day!

Lindsey said...

I don't know if that part was from that particular talk. I was out nursing one or more babies during that that talk of Elder Wirthlin's, but my family told me about it when I came back. I'm sad I didn't see it, but the thought of it makes me smile. I did wonder when I heard that clip if it was from that talk though. What wonderful men they are!
And I found this from Mckmama's blogfrog thing. I'm not a member of it, so I can't comment there, but I follow some of the conversations.

alessandra said...

:D

purejoy said...

i believe in the triune God. God, the father; God the Son; God, the Holy Spirit. is this also a belief of the LDS?
I agree with you about faith being evident for our works, but do not believe that there is any kind of "check list" that one must complete in order to gain entrance to heaven. to add or subract to the Gospel is to cheapen what Christ did on the cross. does that make sense?
as for how i heard, i was trolling on mckmama's site and saw a teaser on the blogfrog sidebar.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Purejoy, by the "triune God", do you mean the trinity? No, Mormons do not believe in this. We believe that God The Father, His Son, Jesus Christ and The Holy Ghost are three separate and distinct beings.

inadvertent farmer said...

No questions just a comment. Great shots of your kiddos, love the holding hands walking to church, so sweet! Kim

Keeley said...

Hey go figure! My husband is the ward clerk too. At least for now. Our Bish just got called as counselor in the Stake Presidency as did the husband of our Relief Society President - so there'll be big shakeups in the next few weeks. =) That always makes life interesting.

My husband peeked over my shoulder and said "Woah. That's a big van."

I answered, "Nine and a half children."

"Ahhhh" he nodded in complete understanding. =D

I love it when you post picture stories. =)

Catherine Anne said...

Love large families! Great blog!

Heather said...

i adore your "buddy" pictures! all of the pictures really, you are truly blessed!

and thank you for sharing the message about Jesus, you are right it is beautiful! He is beautiful!