Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I Heart John's Gardens

Marrying me nearly six years ago has not been an easy adjustment for John. I already had six kids when we met, and during the course of our brief marriage we have added four more rambunctious boys to our brood. That being said, John often says that being a father isn't nearly as challenging as being a husband. Tells you that I may be a little high-maintenance.

Anyway, my point is that everybody needs a release from their every day responsibilities, and John's happens to be gardening. Over the course of the almost four years we've lived here in Mexico, John has planted iris gardens, vegetable gardens, grape vines, a winter wheat field, an herb garden, a stunning gladiola garden, trees throughout the property, pots filled with colorful annuals and vines spilling over the sides, melon patches, tomato and cucumber vines and much, much more.

My all-time favorite garden of John's, though, is the "strawberry field". It's not really a field, just a small patch of ground to the left of our home, but we just love to say the "strawberry field". And even though it's only mid-April, look what it's already producing....

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

I'm in love with our strawberry field! Thank you, John, for all of the work you do in our gardens. Our home is beautiful and our harvest is plentiful because of your efforts! :)


P.S. My sister and I are finally getting skinnier!
See how we're doing it HERE! :)

11 comments:

Brian + Cheryl B. said...

Oh Jen .... they are predicting that those of us in mid-west Michigan are going to be getting more snow this weekend.

Around here, we get fresh strawberry crops for about a two to three week period near the middle to end of June.

I love my state - but I also love strawberries, and thus wish that our 'strawberry season' was m-u-c-h l-o-n-g-e-r!!!!!!!!!!

Please enjoy 10 to 12 (dozen o;-p) for me ;->

bethany said...

jealous.

Unknown said...

what a wonderful and PRODUCTIVE use of 'free time.' I love that he has found such a great outlet. Maybe I need to have my husband read this entry...He'd rather play video games *sigh*

Debbie Dillon said...

Oh, those are beautiful! I'm a gardener, too. Here in California, it's a game to see who can get to the strawberries first; the gardener or the birds!
Your gardens sound lovely - be blessed :)

GStaples said...

Wow! Those look delicious! We don't get any here that early. Still buying mine at the store.

Luvmy9 said...

I wish my husband found serenity in that outlet or would even just suffer and go out and work outside once in awhile. I'm jealous, too. I think when you get that many strawberries you are justified in saying "field". And, the strawberries are so BIG, too! Mine are teensy. Ask John what I can do to make mine bigger, please.

NatureGirl said...

Oh it is still a bit cold up here in the North Country...I cannot, canNOT wait for my strawberries to come in!

Lynn said...

Of all the traveling he does...I have NO idea how you and he keep up to it all. Those strawberries pics have be drooling....what a wonderful blessing! We are still in the midst of snow storms and floods up here. ; (

Hope you are able to share more pics of these wonderful gardens of Johns soon. I would love to see them.

alessandra said...

Oh, how much I love strawberries, when I was a child we had a small patch, and they were a special treat for me.

Trisha said...

I just drove by your house today and was tempted to drive in and just walk around and look at everything. I have admired your yard since it began. Someday I will have something awesome as well. Not for three more years anyway.

Anonymous said...

Hi Luvmy9 - MiracleGrow once a week = bigger strawberries.