Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chick Pea Enchiladas

Welcome to the 89th weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to One Crunchy Mama over at GenX Moms! She posted in honor of Earth Day and teaches how to cook with a fraction of the amount of energy using the "lid cooking" method. Mostly, I just loved her stock pot...

copper pot

Am I right? To learn more, please visit GenX Moms by clicking HERE. Thanks so much, Crunchy Mama, for your tip and your link-up. We look forward to hearing from you again!

MINE: Recently I learned in THIS FORUM that one can use chick peas, otherwise known as garbanzo beans...

Photobucket

...as a chicken substitute. Sometimes vegetarian dishes are just lacking in texture, and something like chick peas seemed to fit the bill as a suitable substitute in a lack-luster dish. I tried this, and I wasn't at all disappointed. Here's what we made...

Chick Pea Enchiladas
Photobucket

Ingredients:
1 pound dry chick peas (soaked overnight)
2 squares vegetable bouillon
2 cans tomato sauce (about 3 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup salsa of your choice
30 corn tortillas
3 cups cheese of your choice, grated (we used mozzarella)

(Note: We like this brand of vegan bouillon...)

vegan bouillon

Directions:
Step 1: Drain chickpea soak water, then cook chick peas in water, together with bouillon cubes, until soft, about 3 hours. Drain.

Photobucket

Step 2: Combine tomato sauce, salsa, and salt in a sauce pan. Heat until simmering.

Step 3: Cut up corn tortillas into 1x1 inch squares, like so...

Photobucket

Step 4: Spray non-stick cooking spray on an 8x11 casserole dish. Pour half of the sauce into the dish.

Step 5: Over this, layer on half of the cut-up tortillas, then half the chick peas...

Photobucket

Next, layer on half of the grated cheese...

Photobucket

Repeat layering process again with remaining sauce, tortillas, chick peas, then cheese. Bake at 350 degrees f for about half an hour or until cheese is lightly browned...

Photobucket

This really was delicious and filling, full of protein and spicy goodness...

Photobucket

Hope ya love it!


OURS: Okay, now it's your turn! Can't wait to see what awesome tips, recipes and how-tos you have for everyone today. Thanks so much for visiting and/or linking up and have a great Homemaker Monday!



Today on 365 Days of TV-Free Toddler Time: It's Helping With Lunch Time!

Today on life in mexico {and other places} a picture a day: {birds}

Today on Whole Food Kids: Candied Almonds...

almonds candied

9 comments:

Brian + Cheryl B. said...

Morning Jen :-}
I am up at 1:44 a.m. our time, due to acid reflex and heart burn. While I'm waiting the twenty minutes for my medicine to start sinking in, I figured I'd go on line and do some hooking up. The funny thing is, your Mr. Linky states it will be hooked up at 12:01 a.m. - just in a way different time zone ;-p

I had to chuckle about your useing the chick peas. I am going to do a posting about this soon, but Fri. my physical therapist for my Vertigo, whom is also trained in helping people that struggle with frequent migranes (which I am one of), gave me a list of foods that can be migrane triggerers. Chick peas is on there. So is .... And the list of foods that can trigger the acid reflex problems is extensive. And the foods they recommended that I cut or reduce after having had my gull bladder out is long. The thing that has really amazed me, is how many foods which are 'natural', which might even be considered good healthy choices, make it on more than one of those lists.

Like I said, I'm going to do a posting about all of that sometime. As you could probably tell, I'm still mulling the whole subject over right now.

So, did you pick the posting featuring the "beautiful stock pot" as this weeks "yours" to give your dear dear hubby a hint towards Mother's Day? o;-p Tell him that at least our Sam's Club carries some, otherwise Food Supply companies do. Some, such as GFS, can be mail ordered through.

Jb said...

If you don't have issues with wheat, there are quite a few recipes out there that use gluten and chickpeas to make a mock meat that is great.
That brand of bouillion cubes is my favorite too!

One Crunchy Mama said...

Hi, I just want to thank you for featuring the lid cooking method as the "yours" this week. I am recent follower and just love your site. Extremely inspirational! I was going to say the something as JB about using wheat gluten and chickpeas to make as a substitute for meat. Works fantastic and is so quick to make!

Inspired2cook said...

Substituting chickpeas for chicken is a great tip! Thanks!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

Yummmm! That recipe looks so good! Thanks so much for hosting!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!

Emily Heizer Photography said...

I just really wanted to say Jen, that I really love when you are explaining how to do something and you say, "like so.." ! I am so serious! I can hear you and see you in my head, "cut these up like so" oh, I see Jen, I really do!!! I love it! Such a weird comment, but I am so serious!!! lol

Thelittlebrownhouse.us said...

Thanks so much for hosting! I don't know if I could get my boys to eat those, but they look wonderful to me. Maybe I could make them and freeze portions out for my lunches! Thank you so much for sharing -

Tasha Lehman said...

Chickpeas! Love them, will have to try this! Thanks for the linky!

Kimbra Kasch said...

Love that stock pot too