Monday, May 17, 2010
Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Vegan Chocolate Frosting
Sometimes blogging can take up a lot of time...
But sometimes, just sometimes, blogging can inspire the mind of the writer to actually do something blog-worthy. Since the conception of my new food blog called Whole Food Kids, I've had tons of fun poring over internet sites in search of whole food recipes to try out on my kids and blog about. In the process, I have come across an amazing site called Elana's Pantry. Not only does this lady have a really cool name and a lovely face, her recipes use healthy flours, such as almond and coconut flour, and she's got tons of them!
Yesterday I came across one of her chocolate cupcake recipes, and strangely, this recipe called for no flour at all, not even almond flour. I still haven't quite figured out how this cupcake comes together, but it does, in a nearly guilt-free manner. Shown below, the batter right before it goes into the oven...
One disclaimer I have to make, however, is that I tried to follow her vegan chocolate frosting recipe linked to from the brownie recipe, but I must have messed up. Her recipe says to melt dark chocolate and oil, among other ingredients, in a pot, then freeze it for a while, then beat it until smooth. This didn't work at all for me, and it could have been because I left it in the freezer for too long while I was visiting my in-laws. When it comes to visiting the in-laws, you just can't scrimp on time. Anyway, my frosting resulted in a grainy, almost curdled mess. However, I wasn't going to let that deter me. I added a bit of powdered sugar and some water, and just look at the results...
Honestly, I love this frosting much more than the typical butter cream frosting I usually make, so this will be my go-to chocolate frosting from now on. I'm also thinking it would be absolutely DELICIOUS on THIS chocolate cake, which is my favorite chocolate cake recipe in all the world, and is also vegan.
Anyways, here is the recipe, and I hope you love it...
For the cupcakes:
* 1 ½ cups dark chocolate pieces, 73%
* ½ cup almonds
* 3 eggs
* ¼ cup grapeseed oil (or other oil)
* ¼ cup agave nectar
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* ¼ teaspoon sea salt
For the frosting:
* 1 cup dark chocolate pieces, 73%
* ½ cup grapeseed oil (or other oil)
* 2 tablespoons agave nectar
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* pinch sea salt
* 1 cup powdered sugar
* 1-2 TB water
To make the cupcakes:
1. Place chocolate and almonds in a food processor.
2. Grind until the consistency of coarse sand.
3. Pulse in eggs, grapeseed oil and agave.
4. Then pulse in vanilla and salt.
5. Spoon batter into cupcake tins lined with baking cups
6. Bake at 350° for 12–15 minutes.
7. Cool and frost with Vegan Chocolate Icing.
To make the frosting:
1. In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and grapeseed oil.
2. Stir in agave, vanilla and salt.
3. Place frosting in freezer for 15 minutes to chill and thicken.
4. Remove from freezer, add powdered sugar and water, and whip frosting with a hand blender until it is thick and fluffy.
5. Frost over cake, chocolate or vanilla cupcakes or between cookies
Direct recipe link: http://keyingredient.com/recipes/311880/
I am pleased to list this post @...
Today on Whole Food Kids: Purple Fruit and Veggie Popsicles...