For the doughnuts:
2 (.25 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
For the glaze:
1/3 cup butter
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons hot water or as needed
1. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of the flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed, or stirring with a wooden spoon. Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough into a greased bowl, and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until double. Dough is ready if you touch it, and the indention remains.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter. Let doughnuts sit out to rise again until double. Cover loosely with a cloth.
4. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in hot water one tablespoon at a time until the icing is somewhat thin, but not watery. Set aside.
5. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown. Remove from hot oil, to drain on a wire rack. Dip doughnuts into the glaze while still hot, and set onto wire racks to drain off excess. Keep a cookie sheet or tray under racks for easier clean up.
Originally posted at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crispy-and-Creamy-Doughnuts/Detail.aspx?prop31=3
For the "cheese" sauce:
2 cups cashews
1 cup water
1/3 cup red bell pepper, with ribs and seeds removed, then diced
2 1/2 tablespoons onion, diced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon soy sauce or nama shoyu
1/4 sea salt
1/3 to 1 whole red jalapeno, depending on how hot you want it
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
For the nachos:
For the cheese sauce, place all ingredients in a Vitamix or other powerful blender and combine until smooth.
Top the chips with the cheese sauce and all other ingredients.
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped peeled cucumbers
The juice of 5 limes
1/2 cup chopped green onion tops
1/4 cup chopped jalapenos
1 vegetarian bouillon cube
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup chopped tomatoes
3 cups wheat sprouts
1/2 tsp salt
Step 1. Squeeze lime juice into a small sauce pan. Add bouillon cube. Heat until cube is melted.
Step 2. Combine all other ingredients in a bowl, then pour in lime juice mixture.
Step 3. Stir until all ingredients are coated, then marinate in refrigerator for two or more hours.
Serve with tortilla chips.
Almond Milk or Chocolate Mayan Milk
2 Cups Almonds
8 Cups Water
1/2 Cup Honey or Agave Nectar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
Step 1: Soak the almonds overnight in a bowl of water.
Step 2: Drain the almonds and place in a blender with four cups of water. Blend for three to four minutes.
Step 3: Strain almond mixture through nylon hose or cheese cloth into a pitcher. You will have almond pulp left, as shown below, which can be used in other vegetarian recipes.
Step 4: Pour 4 more cups of water into the blender, along with the honey or agave nectar, the vanilla, cocoa, cinnamon and the salt. Add the strained almond mixture. This should fill your blender to near capacity, so blend on the lowest speed in order to avoid overflow.
Step 5: Once the ingredients are thoroughly combined, your almond milk is ready to be refrigerated.
Whole Wheat Pizza
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
2. Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan. Top pizza with your favorite toppings, such as sauce, cheese, meats, or vegetables.
5. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.
Best Fudgy Brownies Ever
1 1/2 cups butter
1/4 cup water
4 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons sour cream or yogurt
3 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup flour
2 cups cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (optional)
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 cup brown sugar, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl and mix with the dry ingredients. If you are using the chocolate chips and the nuts, stir them in now.
5. Spread into a large, greased jelly roll pan.
6. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes, or until a clean tooth pick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
These brownies are best when served after being cooled in the fridge. For easiest cutting, use a plastic knife. I don’t know why, but it works!
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, grated
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 carrots, shredded
2 small zucchinis, shredded
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (optional, but will help the patty hold together a little better)
Step 1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over low heat, and cook the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in the carrots and zucchini. Continue to cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and mix in oats, cheese, and egg. Stir in salt, transfer the mixture to a bowl, and refrigerate 1 hour.
Step 2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
Step 3. Mix flour and gluten, and place the mixture on a large plate. Form the vegetable mixture into eight 3 inch round patties. Drop each patty into the flour, lightly coating both sides.
Step 4. Oil the grill grate, and grill patties 5 minutes on each side, or until heated through and nicely browned.
Stuffed Appetizer Mushrooms
2 slices whole wheat bread
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
24 medium sized mushrooms
1/4 cup onions, chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup green peppers, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne peper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
Step 1. Remove stems from mushrooms; set caps aside. Finely chop stems; measure 1 cup (discard any remaining stems or save for another use).
Step 2. In a skillet, saute chopped mushrooms, garlic, onion and green pepper in butter until vegetables are tender and mushroom liquid has evaporated.
Step 3. Toast bread, then process in a food processor until they become crumbs or crumble by hand. Add bread crumbs, garlic salt, cayenne pepper, thyme and paprika to the sauteed mixture; mix well.
Step 4. Stuff into mushroom caps then sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes or until heated through.
For complete nutrition date, go here…
Vegan Carrot Cupcakes
6 tablespoons whole flax seeds
1 1/2 cups water
4 cups sugar
3 cups vegetable oil
6 cups flour
4 teaspoons cinnamon
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 cups grated carrots
2 cups craisins
Step 1: In a blender, blend flax seeds and water until smooth and creamy.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar and the flax seed mixture.
Step 3: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Step 4: Add the flour mixture to the flax seed mixture, and stir until well mixed.
Step 5: To this mixture, add the vanilla, pecans, carrots and craisins.
Step 6: Pour this batter into greased pans or cupcake papers, and bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The time will vary depending on what size pan you use, but will probably be between 20 and 35 minutes.
Step 7: Frost with your favorite vegan or omni frosting and enjoy!
1 quart of oil for frying
Salt for sprinkling
Step 1. Using the slicer side of a cheese grater, thinly slice potatoes, peeled or not, your preference.
Step 2. Fry in hot oil until slightly browned, then immediately place on paper towel-covered cookie sheet to absorb oil. Salt.
PSSST! To find great deals on fun stuff to do in your area, go HERE!