Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Vegetarian Bar-B-Que...

...for me and the 15-year-old girl, anyway.

Photobucket

And can I tell you how great it is to have another family member on the vegetarian band-wagon?

Because it was John's sister's birthday, he planned and organized a bar-b-que in her honor at our uncle/bishop's house. But because the 15-year-old girl didn't want to be stuck eating just Doritos, potato salad, and marshmallow/whip cream/fruit salad, she googled and made a veggie burger recipe...,

Photobucket

I whipped up some fresh-ground whole wheat sesame seed buns...

Photobucket

...and we were set.

Amazingly, my uncle/bishop and a large bearded man named Terry tried them, too, with mixed results. But we were grateful that they could think out of the box for a time.

For the veggie burgers and 100% whole wheat sesame seed bun recipes, go HERE.

Now, I would love to share with you some people and moments at our vegetarian bar-b-que...

The bar-b-quER...

Photobucket

The bar-b-quEES...

Photobucket

(Yes, these are real veggie burgers.)

The father of the bar-b-quer, and pretty much the best man I know...

Photobucket

The 18-year-old boy, talking about how he would like to long board down the new very long and windy Mexican mountain road near our town. I can see why he's smiling...

Photobucket

The baby-holder, I mean, my uncle/bishop's wife...

Photobucket

Another baby-holder/niece...

Photobucket

Teenage angst, I mean the 15-year-old girl...

Photobucket

Mud...

Photobucket

More mud...

Photobucket

(For even more mud, go HERE.)

Pinata time...

Photobucket

(I have highlighted the stick in the 18-year-old's hand and the football in the nephew's hand to show that things were not going as they should have. Normally, one would strike the pinata with the stick, not go after one's little brother, and usually, a football is not in any way involved as a tool with which to strike the pinata.)

The spoils...
Photobucket

My brother-in-law, husband of the birthday girl. He's from Washington, but thinks he's a cowboy now...

Photobucket

I'm not so sure. Aren't cowboys supposed to chew on stalks of grass, not lollipops? You tell me...

Photobucket

Thanks for listening!

9 comments:

Emily Heizer Photography said...

Hee hee hee... You know, that mud looks refreshing actually! And kinda fun! I love how they have that innocently busted "we're too cute to not get our way" look on their faces. LOL

Isn't your Uncle's wife your Aunt? No? I was confused by this.

Can I volunteer to be a baby holder? I know it's kind of long distance but everytime I look at your baby my uterus skips a beat.

I just bought some veggie burgers today with a coupon! Maybe I will try making some next time!

I eat mostly vegetarian, but that's only because I am afraid of raw meat, so I won't cook it. lol (That's what men are for.)

Christine said...

Thanks for the pictures of our wonderful family! Many great memories are made on that patio, for sure. I grew up eating grilled portabello mushrooms instead of hamburgers some of the time. I've been wishing I had one for a while now - dang pregnancy cravings!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Emily, yes, my bishop's wife would be our aunt! I don't know why I chose to call her that.

Jb said...

My teenage son was walking by my computer just as I was scrolling over the "cowboy". The hat caught his eye. Loves it. Sometimes he wears a cowboy hat and boots to school, despite teasing from friends. Ah, well, at least he's an individual.
It's great that you and your daughter are doing the vegetarian thing together! It must be nice!

Teenage Angst #1 said...

Teenage Angst looks good in that shirt I gave her! Tell her she needs to go vegan. It's way funner to try to make up recipes.

Brian + Cheryl B. said...

Hi Jen :->

Curiosity question here - about the toppings on your burger - ummm ... it looks like there are strips of bacon on top?

Boys and mud just so go together, don't they? If there is mud anywheres around, a boy will find it or it will find him, even just in the course of walking out the back door and into the car to head for church.

Enroute to church or the likes, the mud would frustrate me. The rest of the time I gave in and accepted it with the knowledge that boys are washable. And sometimes, they got sprayed down with the hose before heading into the tub.

One of my sons was looking at this posting with me, and was surprised to read that your not suppose to use a football on a pinata, and that if you have a stick, and there is a brother around, well... they are going to connect, "it just happens". chuckle, chuckle.

Yes, most cowboys chew on blades of grass. But lots also smoke stinking cigars. A sucker is far better thatn the cigars!!!!!!

I like that Teenage Angst #1 left a message for Teenage Angst #2 :-D!!!

Since your uncle is also a bishop, does the church require that he must be referred to by his title?

Hope today holds some special smiles for you friend!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Cheryl, what you are seeing on the burger are strips of roasted green chili. UMMM! And no, we do not have to all our bishop by his title, but I always do just out of habit. My kids actually call him Uncle Bishop!

Salsa Mama said...

Oh, man... I am so homesick now! I'm glad we are coming down next month!!

Expat Mom said...

Looks like fun was had by all. I love that your daughter is so creative and decided to do the veggie burgers!

My boys are addicted to the Manias Japoneses that I see in the piñata goodies there . . . they could survive on just those, I think.