Monday, July 20, 2009

The-best-chocolate-cake-in-the-world-that-just-happens-to-be-vegan recipe...

(This is a recipe I posted a few months ago, but because this week's "Blog Hop" theme is "Your Favorite Recipe or Dish", I HAD to enter this vegan chocolate cake. People say things like, "Please tell me you brought the vegan chocolate cake to this pot luck," or "You're making your vegan chocolate cake for the Sunday family dinner, right?" This recipe is unbelievable!)

Here is the best-chocolate-cake-in-the-world-that-just-happens-to-be-vegan recipe I promised I would post today. I found it at Instructables.com and I swear, people go on and on about this cake and they really don't even register that it's vegan. When they finally realize that it was made with no eggs or butter, they say, "Oh, then it's healthy, right?" Just to clarify, vegan means no animal products, not this-is-a-health food, because it's not. It's loaded with sugar and oil and white flour and it is one of the most moist and delectable chocolate cakes I have ever tasted. You are going to love this.

Cake Ingredients

1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar

Chocolate Glaze

1/2 cup sugar
4 tbsp vegan butter spread (or real butter if you're an omni)
2 tbsp soy milk (or regular milk if you're an omni)
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, then grease an 8X8 square pan/dish.

Step 2: Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a whisk, making sure it is really blended together. Add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, and again, mix until it's really well blended. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary.

Step 3: Pour the mixture into the pan and place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on a rack completely (about 2 hours).

Step 4: For the glaze, in a small saucepan, bring sugar, butter spread, soy milk, and cocoa to a boil. Stir frequently; then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir for another 5 minutes. Don't think you can leave out this step, or the sugar won't dissolve and your glaze with be grainy....and nobody likes grainy glaze, now do they...

Step 5: Add vanilla, stir, and immediately pour onto cake. Glaze dries really quickly, so spread it immediately and add any sprinkles or topping now. Let this cool for an 1 hour, if you can wait that long!

This recipe can be doubled and made into a chocolate layer cake. Here's what that looks like...


Actually, I tripled it, made the chocolate layer cake and then put together 24 cupcakes for the kids at my father-in-law's 74th birthday party. He loves chocolate and I knew he would love this cake. Every last crumb of the cake was gone by the end of the night. Even the cake plate had been rubbed clean of leftover glaze by greedy fingers. Yes, it wasn't easy to throw a layer cake and 24 cupcakes together with the 3 under 3 under foot, but watching everyone enjoy this delight made it well worth the effort! Hope you enjoy this as much as we did!

I am pleased to list this post @ Biblical Womanhood's "Frugal Friday". Check out her blog for TONS for great money-saving tips!
I am also pleased to list this post at...
-Tip Junkie's "Talk to me Tuesday",
-5 Minutes for Mom's "Tackle It Tuesday",
-Tammy's Recipe's "Kitchen Tip Tuesday",
-Blessed With Grace's "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday",
-Mary's "Tightwad Tuesday",-Kim's "Tasty Tuesday"
-The Lazy Organizer's "Talk About Tuesday",
-and...



MckLinky Blog Hop



If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

23 comments:

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Wow! It certainly looks yummy!

Chocolate Fingerprints said...

I once had a vegan cake that my sister made. It was delicious! I still can't figure out how it exactly works without eggs, but it does! :)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Chocolate Fingerprints, I guess the baking soda is enough of a leavening agent that eggs are unnecessary. Plus all of the water and oil make it really moist and delicious!

Susie said...

Ooooooo another yummy tackle!!

Dreamer said...

Chocolate is my weekness, in all of its many delictable forms!

Aubrey said...

Oh, my. that looks so good! Thanks for sharing, I'm a sucker for all things chocolate.

Brenda said...

I think I have made this before and its really good

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Looks great and recipes sounds good.

Emily @ Marvelous Recipes said...

I am not vegetarian but this cake looks totally delicious!

Valerie said...

You made it look so delicious! It is on my list to try soon.

Mama Bean said...

After seeing this picture now for a couple of months, I have just been waiting for the right reason to make it... and alas, the opportunity struck! A friend from church just had a baby and we signed up for dinner... so I made this cake and the Deep Dish Pizza as well and they were both a H-U-G-E hit! :)

My husband, who was initially skeptical about trying two new recipes when we would be taking dinner to another family, at the end of the night said, "I will NEVER underestimate your amazing cooking abilities again!"

Thanks for the recipes! I am now just trying to find a reason to make them again! :)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Mama Bean, I'm so glad this worked out so well for you and gave you brownie points in your husband's eyes! I can actually find the opportunity to make this cake at least twice a month and people love it so much, they always ask me now if I'm going to be making my "vegan chocolate cake thing". It's awesome! I made a quadruple batch just today because I had two potluck parties to attend and the kids begged me to make extra for them, too! It's such a great recipe and I know you'll have ample occasion to make this again!

Proud Parents of Halainah Grace said...

looks and sounds super delish!

MadeInCanarias said...

mmmmmmmmm, looks perfect!

Susie said...

Oh my gosh!! That is what I made for my Iron Cupcake Competition yesterday!!! And, I won the sponsor challenge with it!! Check it out: http://susieshomemade.blogspot.com/2009/07/tackling-vegan-cupcakes.html

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

That looks great. You always share great recipes. Thank you for faithfully participating in TMTT each week. I appreciate it.

Brenda said...

Looks good, great idea to triple it.

Lori said...

Oh my! That looks delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I make this cake for my youngest grandson who has a terrible problem with allergies. Yours looks beautiful.

Lori E said...

Okay just took 5 minutes and popped this in the oven. We will see what happens in half an hour.
Looks promising.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Neat recipe and well worth a try! Thanks for sharing...

Happy Foodie Friday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Unknown said...

YUM! This looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing it. Beginning August 5, I will be hosting Crock Pot Wednesdays at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. I hope you will join me and, hopefully, share in the giveaways:) Mister Linky is up and waiting for your entry.

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Vegan or not, THAT is one gorgeous-looking cake!