Sunday, October 9, 2011

Homemaker Monday: Using a Clothes Line

Welcome to the 158th weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to The Southern Housewife at "Her Southern Charm". In Southern Housewife's post, we meet two different types of wives. Which one are you? Or are you a little of both?...

"The wife in House #1 is discontent. She gossips and slanders her own husband, complaining about him not putting the toilet seat down or leaving his dirty laundry all over the house. She packs too much into her calendar- church meetings, coffee or shopping dates with friends, volunteering, pedi/manis, hair appointments, soccer games, PTA events, etc. And while all of these are fine in moderation, when they begin to interrupt your time as a wife, mother and homemaker, they take you away from ministry to your family. She rarely makes time to pray over her family and ask God to make her a blessing to those she loves."

This paragraph really hit home, especially the part about slandering one's husband. I sometimes find myself complaining about the irritating things John does, but I rose-color the word "slander" with "venting". I realized after reading this what a horrible thing I had been doing. I definitely do not want to take out a mortgage loan on a house like this. She continues...

"The wife in House #2 makes her family a priority above all other activities. She is available to her husband and children. She knows that the connections she has with her God, family and friends are what makes life beautiful. She isn't a doormat or a slave, and reminds herself to take joy in the simple and mundane tasks that need to be done. She regularly practices hospitality with neighbors and those in need. She doesn't have the best decorated or largest house, but knows that her home is her ministry and uses it to spread love instead of hate and discontentment."

This was inspiring to me as a reminder that my family comes first. Community, church, and even extended family members may ask me to spread myself thin with requests for my time, but it is my right and responsibility to put my family first, and even to say no at times.

The best part about Southern Housewife's article is that she lists seven ways to become more like the wife in House #2. To read her entire post, go HERE. Thank you so much, Southern Housewife. Please feel free to take the "I Was Featured" button from my side bar and we'll looking forward to hearing from you again soon!

MINE: I just have to share something I've been doing lately that I love. At some point, for some reason I can't recall, I became obsessed with the idea of using a clothesline. Unbelievably, I've never had one, so I bought up the issue with John. Because John loves to do things for me, he drew up some plans, asked me to approve them, then set the workmen to building the clothesline. This is no ordinary clothesline, though. My clothesline is like an upside-down pyramid with five lines on each side. It also spins. And since John knew the kids would figure out a way to climb up on the structure and swing around on it, grabbing my blankets, towels, and unmentionables, he decided "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

To the clothesline he added fully adjustable swings on each corner so that when I'm not using the line, the kids could sit, stand or hang on wooden dowels that swing from each corner. The genius of this is that they are also easily removable, so if I don't want the kids to swing on it, I simply remove the hooks and put the swings in the corner of the yard. Look at this....

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

And here is the view of the beautiful sky as I hung my laundry...

Photobucket

This Saturday was the first time I used my line, and I was able to hang five loads. It felt great to be outside in the fresh air, saving money, and helping the environment, and on top of everything else, John was super-impressed.

What are your thoughts on using a clothes line? I would really like to know.

Thanks for listening!

OURS: Now it's your turn! Can't wait to read your homemaking tips!



14 comments:

chibbylick said...

I can't wait for the pictures. it sounds like a great advance on the good old Australian classic Hills Rotary clothes line... which doesn't do so well when swung on... I think you should sell the plans, and make a mint!

Jill said...

HI,
I shared mu pecan crusted grouper and an article about grains. I also shared the 28 day grain-free challenge that is still open!

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/28-day-real-food-grain-free-challenge-signup/

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

My favorite part of cloth diapering was hanging them out in the sun after washing them. My cloth diapers looked brand new after 2 years of use and I think it was due to them never being in a dryer. I wish I could do that with clothes but it's against our homeowner's regulations :(

theintentionalminimalist said...

Thank you for hosting! This week I have shared the following seasonal farm-to-table recipes that promote the benefits of good health through nutrition from eating fresh unprocessed seasonal produce:

fall bright-n-spicy salad
http://theintentionalminimalist.blogspot.com/2011/10/fall-bright-n-spicy-salad.html

mizuna-n-sorrel chimichurri on zucchini pasta
http://theintentionalminimalist.blogspot.com/2011/10/mizuna-n-sorrel-chimichurri-zucchini.html

Happy cooking!
The Intentional Minimalist

Luvmy9 said...

Oh, Jen, I LOVE clothes (except towels) dried on clothes line. They smell wonderful and use no energy and somehow it's just satisfying to hang out one's clothes and bring them in when they are dry. This is the first house where I have not had a clothesline, and knowing how I was pining for one Bill ordered one and gave it to me for Christmas. It is based on the same design as John's, but not as sturdy. Unfortunately we never decided on a place for it where it would be close to the house, but wouldn't show from the street as I imagine our 42 page homeowner's covenant would frown on that. So, now, I'm not even sure where it is :( although it must be somewhere out in our garage storage. You've inspired me to look for it! Thanks for the post.

Laurie said...

I am a clothesline nut, and I think it started when I hung out the cloth diapers we used for all of out kids (thanks for reminding me, Pati!). There is something soothing and relaxing about hanging a load of laundry, and I love to fold each item as I take them off the line. Nothing smells better than climbing into bed when all the linens came off the line that day. Oh wait, babies smell better, and homemade bread is right up there.

Laurie said...

* our kids (not out kids!) And as far as towels, I usually put them in the dryer for 10 or 15 minutes and that keeps them from being too stiff (but I actually like them that way!) We went over a year without a dryer but finally bought one when all the kids and grandkids were going to be here during the summer. Ditto for a dishwasher, I actually prefer to handwash dishes.

Mark and Amy said...

We don't have an outdoor clothesline,but we do have a drying rack that we use all the time. It will hold four loads at a time! I love to put it up in our bedroom at night in the dry Utah winters because the excess moisture helps with Mark's skin dryness issues.

Anonymous said...

I've always used a clothesline. The only things I don't hang on the line are bedding, because we have allergies and don't need to collect pollen where we sleep. And I don't hang things out when pollen is severe. I love the way the clothes smell when it's cold outside and a bit windy! Even the house smells fresh after you bring them in!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. You have one smart husband!

GranthamLynn said...

I have missed coming by. I am glad I got to read this post. I love your clothesline. It gave me an idea for a photo post next week. Can I borrow a couple of your great photo's! I'll give you credit.
I am now able to post regularly so I'll be joining you on Monday!
Loved this post and love your blog. You inspire!

Patty said...

Thanks for hosting! I've added the Christmas Pocket Mini Book

Cambria said...

I'll be honest Jen- I have used a clothesline not by choice for the past 6 years and I HATE it! I think you are either a lover or a hater of clotheslines, my MIL loves to hang her clothes out, but I hated it from day one and still hate it. I love the idea, but I guess I am just lazy and want to be doing something else with my time. It also gets frusterating in the summer when it rains every day and I can't get out there fast enough to rescue the clothes, or in the srping when it is so windy and then the clothes get all dusty. Good for you though! You are a better woman than I!!!

Trisha said...

That husband of yours thinks of EVERYTHING! I haven't had a clothes line for years, but I do or I guess I should say I used to use the trampoline really often for
things that take a long time to dry. Pretty clever if you ask me! There's nothing quite like the smell of things dryed in the out doors!