Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Vegan Vanilla Squash Cake

Photobucket

I adapted this delicious recipe from the chocolate vegan cake recipe my daughter recently shared with me. I would never have left out the chocolate of my own accord, but we were having a guest over who can't eat chocolate because it aggravates his migraines, so I thought if I simply substituted the cocoa powder with flour, I would have a vanilla cake. I was surprised and delighted at how well this worked and how delicious this cake was. If you love a dense, rich, moist cake, you'll love this. You can frost it however you like, but I used THIS strawberry frosting recipe. Enjoy!

Vegan Vanilla Squash Cake

<p>A rich, very moist cake made with spaghetti squash.</p>

See Vegan Vanilla Squash Cake on Key Ingredient.


Ingredients

2½ cups flour
1½ cups granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup oil
2 cups cooked spaghetti squash

Directions

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F degree.

2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.

3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.

4. Bake in a greased 9 × 13 inches pan at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 30 minutes or in a cupcake tin for 15 to 18 minutes.

5. When cooled, frost as desired.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love (as do my kids and husband) the chocolate cupcakes with spaghetti squash and have been wondering how to use spaghetti squash in other baking recipes. Do you have a general ratio you use with squash? If you have any other tips, I am all ears...

I am definitely going to try this cake for the next birthday.