Tuesday, October 4, 2011

How to Make Bedtime, Vacation Time, Traveling Time, Etc., a Little Easier....

After opening up his new toy for the kids, John looked at me and asked, "Is this cheating?" I smiled and said no, at least I think that's what I said, or maybe "it's allowed", which is what John always says, like when one of my favorite relatives passed gas while attempting a Russian polka. Anyways, I looked over at the kids in rapt and quiet attention as they listened to Dr. Suess being read to them through one of the apps on John's new electronic notebook. I don't even know which version he has, but as I watched the kids laugh and point and look at each other to gauge reactions, I knew this app was definitely a keeper.

We're not big TV fans, and although we have a couple of DVD players we sometimes take on our many cheap family vacations, where we're much too tight think of getting the kids all their own IPODS or Zunes, I can see this making our family togetherness much more bearable, whether it's at bedtime, in the car, or in a motel room. I think one of the most difficult times during our travels is when we first arrive at a hotel late at night. The kids are completely wired, and all they can focus on is jumping from bed to bed queazily close to the inevitable sharp-cornered nightstand between the two beds. Then there's the baby with his unquenchable desire to take the phone from the sharp-cornered nightstand and wrap the coiled cord around his neck.

Now, with John's new toy, although the teenagers will still complain about how miserable they are because they have to get up before 7:00 to eat their continental breakfasts the next morning, and when we say no, we won't drop them off at the 11:15 PM showing of Inception at the theater we passed forty-five minutes ago, at least the four 5 and under will be happy. Look....

Photobucket

So, no, John, it's not cheating. It's keeping our sanity. Thanks for all you do for the family, including reading as a real person to our kids, since the time before they could even crawl, along with spending your hard-earned money on an app for your notebook which could very well become destroyed the first time the kids don't agree on whether to watch Go, Dogs, Go, or The Cat in the Hat. You're the best. Love you!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the nice thoughts. One correction though, this was my Sister's hard earned money that purchased this tablet as a Birthday gift for moi......

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Right you are, Anon!

Anonymous said...

Great tool.....LOL