Monday, June 22, 2009

Zucchini Pineapple Bread

As I mentioned yesterday, we have lots of zucchini...

...and as if my dearest husband doesn't do enough, he found a great recipe at allrecipes.com for pineapple zucchini bread that is to die for. After some slight modifications, we both feel like this is the bread zucchini bread we have every had the privilege of tasting. Since we have a large family, one recipe of any particular food isn't ever enough, so I usually double it, but since John is super-efficient, he quadrupled it. Here is what a quadruple batch made...

Five full-size loaf pans...


...36 muffins...

...and 5 cakes-in-a-jar


Cakes in jar are so fun because guess what? They allegedly stay fresh for up to a year (at our house they've never lasted that long) so you can always have fresh cake when guests arrive! Here's how you do it... 

Step 1: Sterilize a number of wide-mouth jar lids and rings.

Step 2: Grease a number of wide-mouth pint jars...

Step 3: Mix up a batch of cake or sweet bread. (See recipe below.)

Step 4: Fill jars up half full with mixture...


Step 5: Bake at directed temperature, checking with a toothpick frequently, as cooking time could vary.

Step 6: Immediately upon removing from the oven, tightly screw on the lids and rings and leave out on the counter to seal. You should hear popping sounds as the lids seal, just as if you were bottling fruits or vegetables...


Step 7: When you are ready to use these cakes, just dump the cake out onto a plate. If the cake needs frosting, frost at this time. If not, slice and drizzle with icing if needed. Note: Sometimes you'll need to run a knife around the edge of the jar to get the cake out, but it should still look good on the plate.

Here's the recipe we used for the jar cakes. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Zucchini Pineapple Bread



Ingredients:
3 eggs, beaten (or , if you're a vegan, 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 9 tablespoons water)
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated zucchini
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained

Directions:
In a large bowl mix together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil and zucchini.
In a separate bowl mix together the flour, soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to the zucchini batter and mix well. Stir in raisins, nuts, and pineapple until just blended. Pour into 2-9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
Bake in a preheated 325 degree F (165 degrees C) for one hour, or until browned.

I am pleased to list this post at...
-Tip Junkie's "Talk to me Tuesday",
-5 Minutes for Mom's "Tackle It Tuesday",
-Tammy's Recipe's "Kitchen Tip Tuesday",
-Blessed With Grace's "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday",
-Mary's "Tightwad Tuesday",
-Jen's "Tasty Tuesday" and
-The Lazy Organizer's "Talk About Tuesday".

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

12 comments:

Cambria said...

I JUST bottled pineapple yesterday and I have a huge bucket on my counter of zuchinni that I picked last night. How does that sutff grow so dang fast?!! One bottle didn't seal so I will try this today!!! It looks yummy!! Thanks!

AudreyO said...

Would you believe I've never canned/jarred anything? This recipe looks good. I've never added pineapple to my zucchini bread. yum!!

Mary @Raising 4 Godly Men said...

I love your cake in a jar ! I am going to have to try this one. [0=

BarbaraJo said...

Yummm! I LOVE zucchini bread. Our garden got off to a late start so I will have to wait. Dang!

Brenda said...

The cake in a jar idea is terrific! I have never seen that before but it sure would be handy to have around for drop by guests.

Vikki G said...

Recipe sounds wonderful! Thank you for the post. I so enjoy reading your blog.
Blessings,
Vikki

Lynn said...

Wow, I have never made jar cakes before. What a super idea! I've been making jam over here -- must go berry picking tomorrow to get more :) You might be interested in a post I did a week or two ago, on making cute crazy-quilt jar lids to put on home-canned stuff. They'd be adorable on these cakes.

SnoWhite said...

delicious! I love pineapple and zucchini. thanks for the tip on making "cakes in a jar"!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, yum! I love zucchini bread but have never had it with pineapple. I bet it is scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds wonderful! But I have to admit I was even more excited to see someone canning cake!!! :) Oh the pleasures of preserving! We just learned how to hot water bath can last summer so I'd love to try this one!

Again, thank you for such wonderful ideas! Have a beautiful day!

Anonymous said...

THat is awesome. You introduce me to so many new things. Thanks for sharing.

Carla said...

so copying this!!! Jenn, be glad I'm not closer, I might just have to move in with you guys:)