Thursday, January 7, 2010

Vegan or Omni Chocolate Ice Cream

When I originally invented this recipe, I kept getting foiled by the fact that the coconut oil would freeze into not-so-tasty clumps. I have finally solved this problem (this is for you, C!) and am here to share my discovery with you today. Enjoy!

Vegan or Omni Chocolate Ice Cream



(The vegan version is shown here.)

Ingredients:

1 cup melted coconut oil (or, for the omni version, use heavy cream)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups almond milk, soy milk or rice milk (or, for the onmi version, use cow's milk)

Directions:

Step 1: In a blender, blend first 4 ingredients until creamy.

Step 2: Add milk and continue to blend for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until sugar is completely dissolved and no grainy-ness is left in the liquid.

Step 3: Place this mixture in your ice cream maker and try to remain patient while it freezes!

As a side note, this is the ice cream maker I have...



I really, really love this machine because there is no salt and ice to worry about and no bowls to freeze. Just pour the mix in and turn on the machine! However, they have a new color out that is to die for, so if you plan on investing in this, you are the lucky one!



Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. Some people think that "vegan" means "diet". This is by no means a diet dessert. Although no animal fat was used in this recipe, the coconut oil packs 19 grams of fat (correction from previous posting) per 1/2 cup serving. With that, enjoy!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I have that ice cream maker and love it!

Your recipe sounds wonderful. How did you com up with this? I will have to try it sometime.

I've been thinking about making some sort of something with juice, but haven't done it yet as it's too cold out to think about right now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing

Cheryl B. said...

The neighbors across the street from the house I grew up in, had one of the old crank handle style ice cream makers. It definetly took effort, and their policy was that if you wanted to eat some of the end result, you had to take a turn on the crank, but man was the end product delicious.

They used a extra heavy cream in their recipe which made the ice cream oh-h so-o smooth. Oops, I'm drooling here.

We were good friends with this particular family. In-fact, I remember as a family going 'up north' to their grandpa's cabin, swiming in one of the aunts pools at her house in a ritzy neighborhood, etc..

But I also remember their car horn going off in the middle of the night, of it's own accord, s-e-v-e-r-a-l different times 8-/ , and them letting their dog out VERY early in the morning - and his love for taking off, and they would stand on their front steps calling and calling him 8-/

What a combination of memories ;-p
Overall though, love.

Anyways, back to the ice cream ( o;-p), from my view, making ice cream was always one point in time that I was glad both of the dad's had the "get out of the way if your not gonna do that right" attitudes (as if a scrawney fifteen year old girl could crank the handle like a semi driving man could). My arms would get so achey! They were welcome to do it themselves!!!

And I wouldn't get in trouble with the neighbors mom because I'd pitch right in helping her get everything else ready. Much easier o;-p

"thorny" - We too live where it is most definetly cold in the winter. However ice cream IS one of our fun, "super cold winter nights", treats. We make homemade, cooked, chocolate pudding. Scoop it immediately into bowls. Top the bowls off with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. Then attempt to eat all of it before the ice cream finishes melting ;-b Delicious!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Cheryl, that pudding/ice cream combo sounds really good!

Unknown said...

Okay...this looks a-ma-zing. I'm snowed in and don't have heavy cream or rice milk. Can I make it with coconut oil and cows milk? Do you think it will work?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Thorney, the way I came up with this recipe is that when I try to make something vegan, I substitute the cow's milk with a vegan milk, and I substitute the butter or cream with oil, creamed cashews (made by creaming cashews and a small amount of water in a vita-Mix) or coconut oil, depending on the consistency I need. It doesn't always work, but in this case it went swimmingly well!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Yes, KC Mom, you can. That is how I made it the first time and it was really, really good! I'm hope you're not snowed in long! Good luck!

Jessica said...

Oh. My. Goodness!!!! This sounds heavenly! I, too, wish it weren't freezing...but we just might need to have this with some warm homemade brownies! Ha! Chocolate overload...but so worth it! :)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Jes, the warm homemade brownie idea? We did it. It was fabulous with this ice cream!

S.I.F. said...

Turtle Mountain has a Purely Decadent line of ice cream made with coconut milk and it is amazing! Their mint chocolate chip is my favorite, but it is just so creamy and delicious I'm now convinced that coconut milk ice cream is the way to go!

Bethany Cox said...

however, coconut fat is the good kind. it is great for your hair and your skin and has some other benefits that i cant remember right now...

Unknown said...

Cheryl, The pudding and ice cream combo ounds really good. I am going to try that sooner than later I think. Thank you for sharing that.

C said...

Yeah! I'm so excited to try this again. I miss it. I think I'll have my suegra bring out my ice cream maker asap!

BTW, I made some fabulous horchata the other day, by buying rice milk, adding agave and cinnamon, vanilla, and a bit of heavy cream, and blending in the Vita Mix with a ton of ice.

YUM.

Love ya, miss ya!

Anonymous said...

I tried this today for my son who is allergic to milk and eggs. It is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!
Do you have any variations on the recipe to recommend such as vanilla? how would one adapt the recipe?
I follow your blog in Ottawa, Canada.
Thanks so much!
cc_olsen(at)hotmail.com