Friday, October 23, 2009

I Fed My Kids Doughnuts For Dinner and I Don't Feel That Bad

They were 100% whole wheat orange glazed doughnuts, made with almost the same dough you would use to make 100% whole wheat bread. It was almost like they had cinnamon toast, but instead of butter, the vegetable oil in which they were fried and instead of cinnamon and sugar, a delectable orange glaze. Yes, I know, I'm rationalizing, but I had another one of those days, as per THIS POST. At least I didn't forget to feed them.

If you would like to make these doughnuts for breakfast or dessert, but not necessarily dinner, here is the recipe...

P.S. Please excuse my embarrassingly horrendous photography today. It was late, too dark and shadowy and there was not much I could do. Sorry so sloppy! :( )


100% Whole Wheat Orange Glazed Doughuts



Ingredients:

(For the doughnuts)

1 cup warm water
5 teaspoons yeast
5 teaspoons brown sugar
2 cups orange or pineapple juice
6 tablespoons oil
6 tablespoons honey or molasses
4 teaspoons salt
8 cups whole wheat flour
6 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (optional)

(For the glaze)

3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup orange or pineapple juice
1/4 teaspoon orange extract

Directions:

Step 1: In the bowl of a Kitchen-Aid or the like, or, if you don't have one, a large mixing bowl, mix water, yeast, and brown sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes, until it starts to foam like rootbeer, like this...



Step 2: Into bowl, add all remaining ingredients except one cup of whole wheat flour.

Step 3: Knead ingredients in Kitchen-Aid or by hand, for about 12 minutes, adding the extra cup of wheat flour if needed to made a soft, but not sticky dough.



Step 4: Roll dough out on a floured surface until about 3/8 inch thick, like so...



Step 5: Cut rectangles to about 3x4 inches, then cut slits down the middle of each rectangle, like so...



Step 6: To form doughnuts, pull open slit, like so...



...fold top corners over, like so...



...and push corners through hole, turning the top inside out...



...thus creating a product like so...



(We are doing this because this allows the rectangles to cook all the way through. Yes, we could just cut out circles and holes, but then we are left with so much leftover dough around each circle that we then have to roll out again and cut again, and it's just a pain. Plus, these look really cool. The wonderful woman who taught me how to make these says that some turn out pretty and some don't, but I think ALL of mine turned out pretty!)



(Okay, maybe not the one close to the bottom.)

Step 7: Fry in hot oil until golden brown...



...then place on paper towels, or if you care about your planet, cloth napkins, on a cookie sheet to drain...



Step 8: For the glaze, combine powdered sugar, juice and orange extract and beat with a mixer until smooth, adding more powdered sugar or juice as necessary to make an icing consistency.

Step 9: Glaze doughnuts with a pastry brush, and stack neatly on a plate for your family's dinner breakfast or dessert. And you can lay oranges by the plate if you want just to make it look prettier, but only if company is coming over. Otherwise, save yourself the trouble.



Hope you enjoy!

Love this post and want more?

Enter your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

...or subscribe in a reader!



21 comments:

alessandra said...

They are awesome! don't you let them rise for some time?
I think your kids appreciated a lot their dinner (better than, let's say...broccoli?)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

No Alessandra, that is the great thing about this recipe! They don't have to rise at all! And yes, they loved it much better than broccoli!

Kami said...

I think they look really yummy!

Bellismom said...

I let my two year old eat cheese puffs for breakfast this morning and they weren't healthy in any way shape or form. In my defense though I did make her eat her yogurt first!

alessandra said...

mmmm, amazingly easy, want to try!

Anonymous said...

What a yummy treat! Thanks for sharing.

Paula said...

Wow. Those look wonderful!

Amanda B. said...

Yum!!!!! I have never made homemade donuts, but these look easier then i would have thought....maybe that is not a good thing...I probably don't need to get into donut making. :)

Momzoo said...

I am going to do these tonight

Christine said...

I like your recipe better than mine. My kids will love them! Also, I'd love it if you would post tips on how to take great pictures for your blog. I am definitely photographically-challenged! Mine always turn out looking like an four year old took them.

KelliSue Kolz said...

We grew up with seasonal food theme nights. In spring - we had asparagus, peas, and new potatoes. In summer - we had strawberry shortcake night. That's right, dinner was strawberries, homemade cake with whole wheat flour fresh from the grinder, and lots of whipped cream. All sugared appropriately too I'm sure.

Do we remember which nights we had broccoli? Not really. But we all have enjoyed making silly theme dinner nights for our own families.

Perhaps whole wheat donut night with a glass of goat's milk will become a fun thing we do here on a cold snowy winter night sometime.

But since the pot would be full of oil, I'd probably have to also make some deep fried green beans if I can find a winter crop of string beans in the grocery store. Or tempura.. for 10. Love those root veggies all sliced up, batter coated and crunchy. Once in a while.

www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

Alison said...

Yep, they look cool, and oh my, I think I could actually make these...

Mariko said...

LOVE it. Yum yum yum.
You should create an ice cream for dinner that I wouldn't feel bad about.

Cheryl B. said...

STOP FEELING GUILTY ALREADY!!! The only difference between feeding your kids these type of doughnuts for dinner, or feeding them french toast, waffles or pancakes is perceptions. I always tried to justify any of those three for dinner, because at dinner time I would also try to serve sausage and applesause- thus broadening the food groups served o;-p

KelliSue mentioned strawberry shortcake for dinner, which bought something to mind. While we were 'moving in' with my brother after our house fire (with our three bags of supplies just purchased at K-Mart to start us off), my husband reminded my brother that I do things a lot different than our mother did. {This particular brother had started kindergarden the year I started college}.

One of our in-house traditions is that we have strawberry shortcake for breakfast the morning after strawberries first become available in this area. Full strawberry shortcake. The night before, I bake up the short cakes, slice the strawberries up and put a layer of sugar on top before sticking them in the fridge, and move the cool whip from the freezer to the fridge. Strawberry shortcake and glasses of milk for breakfast is a great signifier it's really spring!! :-}

My brother walked into the kitchen the night before while I was prepping, and inquired what I was up to, he was really blown away. The next morning he just couldn't bend that far, but asked if he could take his portion to work. He later said that the thought and smells of it stayed with him till he was more than excited to dig into it at break time. His co-workers were consideralby jealous, and when told that he was suppose to have eaten it for breakfast, most all of them declared they were goint to start that tradition for themselves ;-p

ChristineMM said...

Wow these look delicious! I've never made doughnuts!

Yolanda said...

I make donuts every Christmas Eve for the local family members. Grandma's donuts are a big hit. I love your cutting technique! I will definitely do that next time... hmmm... Don't know if I can wait that long. Maybe for, uh, desert tomorrow? ;) (I'm a Mormon 2)

Anonymous said...

Same already discussed recently rtheyallyours.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very good idea rtheyallyours.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Nice site + I didn't noticed rtheyallyours.blogspot.com before in my searches! Drive up your best work!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This was trully an amazing, educating post! Thank you soo much for posting! :)

Unknown said...

I just made these for sunday breakfast. Since there are only 2 of us, I halved the recipe. I like them! The glaze is fantastic too. The texture is good and chewy b/c of all the gluten, and isn't too heavy. I can't taste the orange in the donut though...