Saturday, October 10, 2009

When Your Passenger-Side Window Won't Roll Up for a Four-Hour Road Trip...

...a fact you discover only minutes before departing, and your husband is already at said destination, and you decide to let your 17-year-old son drive because you have to eat a burrito in order to stave off morning sickness...

...you have the makings of a character-building experience. I learned that my son really does care about my well-being. He continuously asked if I was sure I wanted him to drive, suggested different window-positioning strategies of other windows toward the rear of the van in order to change the flow of the air, and offered me his black leather jacket as a shield against the gale-force gusts.

Yes, I could have sat in a seat further back, as we were driving our 15-passenger van, and I had my choice of 6 different seating arrangements, but then I would not have been able to back-seat drive encourage my son as he drove over windy, narrow, pot-holed Mexican roads with not so much as an inch of a shoulder.

When we finally arrived to our destination, my mother's home across the border, she looked at my hair and stated that she had never seen it look worse. Because I had documented the effect of the gale on my hair, I was able to show her why, and will now show you...




You may not have noticed in the second photo that I had also thought it would be comfortable to stuff a torn piece of a grocery bag into my ear canal as a protection against the wind. If you didn't notice, here, take a look...



(What do you say, does my son have my nose? Poor guy...)

There was one thing that made me feel better, besides my son's obvious concern, and of course, knowing that Jesus is always beside me in my times of trouble. This...



Thank you, Hershey's, and Jesus, and 17-year-old boy, for all of your helpful suggestions.

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

12 comments:

alessandra said...

Hey, what a beautiful hair style, a bit emo, very up to date, I want to copy it!
And I read you've done your first pesto and want to post the recipe, it's unfair I am the real Italian one, let me check it before, already over?
And I see you like dark chocolate, a gourmet...like me.
Have a nice...not windy day ;-)

Luvmy9 said...

Does that mean you're in town? I'm crossing my fingers.
That must have been a really miserable ride.
I had a miserable night at the ER with my exchange student who passed out at a party where alcohol was served. And they were worried about her being bored?
I hope you're in town so we can talk.

Cheryl B. said...

Murphy and his "laws" working over time yet again 8-/

I have sent numerous requests that he permanetly lose or misplace (his choice o;-p) my file, therefore no longer knowing of my existance .... but so far it's been to no avail 8-/

Isin't it just the most heart warming thing to have these sons we have struggled so to raise, be the ones worried about / concerned for OUR welfare?!!! My heart gets thrilled and sings songs of praise and rejoicing EVERY time such a blessing occurs!!!

I bet he doesn't mind getting your nose all that much, because he also gets tons of love from you ;-}

You visit your mom often don't you?

In my kitchen, chocolate IS a basic food group!!!! And one of these days, when the health department redoes their food pyrimid, they will finally get it right o;-p !!

Richele McFarlin said...

I had a similar thing happen to me as well. I was driving my mom's car and stopped at drive thru. Well, the window didn't go back up and it was 50 degrees outside. I only had to drive about 20 minutes but it sure was cold on the expressway! I really could have used some chocolate at that moment myself!

Amanda B. said...

Wow! That had to be quite a trip. He sounds like a great kid! :) I just noticed in these pictures how much your (14 year old?) daughter looks like you!! Wow!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Amanda B., what pictures are you referring to?

Jessica said...

Chocolate makes everything better, even windows that want to be stubborn.

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it there. The window down would irritate me so bad but I too rather deal with it to be able to "encourage" kid.....LOL

Eliza said...

Your son is a studmuffin! LOVE the hair shots! Hahaha, oh my gosh that sounds like QUITE the car ride!

My new blog is up, would love to have you visit!

Bonnie said...

You crack me up!

GiGi said...

ROFL... love it. What a great sense of humor you have
XoxoGapGirl

C said...

Dear Jen,
in the photo of you in the rear-view window, you're doing the lip thing again. And you know why I recognize it!
Love, hugs, and dark chocolate,
C