Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Please join us RIGHT NOW for the "Questions About Mormonism" Live Chat!

NOTE: If you are here for the...



...weekly blog carnival, you are in the right place! Just please scroll down to the next post. Thank you!


Good morning and welcome to our weekly "Questions About Mormonism" Live Chat!



If you would like to participate, or just "lurk", please just click on the "__COMMENTS" link at the bottom of this post and leave your comment in the comment window or just read what others have to say. I will be sitting here by my computer from 10:00 AM until 11:45 MST to share my beliefs as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or, as we are otherwise known, a Mormon. My 17-year-old son recently asked if I thought I was qualified to do this, and I answered that while I am certainly no scholar of Mormon doctrine, I think anyone is qualified to share and answer questions about what they believe. And that is what I am here for.

One of the most frequent questions I receive relates to what goes on in our temples. I would love to share this 3 minute video with you which explains why Mormons build temples. I hope you enjoy it!



Again, thank you so much for being here and I look forward to talking with you this morning!

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last week or the week before there was discussion about the book 19th Wife (which i did enjoy, but as fiction, and as someone non-religious).

So for more popular media, Big Love. From reading your views on what you watch movie & DVD wise, and that you don't care for the more fictionalized versions of stuff regarding your religion, I'll assume you have not watched any of the series.

But what is the general view of it, from other Mormons? Do you dislike that people consider that what Mormons are up to (I do realize that the show is very different in beliefs and they are not affiliated with or your religion). But that others view it as one and the same...is it frustrating?

Does the fictionalization, that people take one aspect of something removed from your beliefs and make it a generalization of what you do believe, does it put you on the defensive?

Is that type of portrayal damaging at all?

Anonymous said...

I've been inside the San Diego temple, it was amazing!!! And they did an excellent job explaining traditions, and everything :)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Ann, what a thought-provoking question. Thank you. I can say that it certainly is frustrating to me to have our religion portrayed in a way that is inaccurate with Mormonism today. The practice of polygamy was a limited practice which ended in 1890. Groups who now practice this are not in any way afflilated with The Mormon church, as we believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman.

That being said, however, this kind of thing brings a good deal of attention to The Mormon church and gives us, as members, the opportunity to tell others what we're really all about.

Just as an anecdotee, my father was not Mormon and Big Love used to be one of his favorite shows to watch!

Anonymous said...

I'm not all that familiar with your upbringing (no idea if there's an "about me" section on here...guess I could look!)

but you mention your father was not Mormon...how did you become Mormon?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Ann, so cool that you were able to see the San Diego temple! I love the temples, but have not had the priviledge of visiting the one in San Diego.

To answer your question about how I become Mormon, yes, there is an "About Us" tab right below the header of my blog, but I don't really address how I became Mormon much there.

When my mother married my father, she was somewhat of a "luke warm" Mormon, but as her children began to grow older, she realized the importance of teaching them her beliefs and became strong in the faith, taking us to church every Sunday, alone, for decades.

As a teenager, I was wild and rebellious and fell away from the church, although I always believed it was true. However, when I became a mother, I, like my mom, began to see the importance of teaching this to my children, as my life was not going in a good direction and I knew I needed to change. At the age of 22, I read The Book of Mormon for the first time and it changed my life. I have tried to improve daily in developing my faith and knowledge through scripture study, prayer, fasting and attendance at church since then and have found so much happiness as I've lived the tenants of our religion.