Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Christ-Like Behavior,..and The Lack Thereof

The lack thereof....

This morning as I was making preparations for tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner, an event I will be hosting with over 25 people in attendance, the 3 three and under collectively decided they wanted glasses of juice.

I stopped the work I was doing and gave them each a plastic cup half-filled with orange juice. I stood there watching them for a moment to make sure that was what they wanted, then continued my work nearby.

About four seconds later, I heard a splash on the ground behind me, jerked my head around and saw that Twin B had intentionally dumped the contents of his cup onto the kitchen floor. I quickly walked over to him, snatched the cup out of his hand, bent down with my finger in his face and shouted, "NO, NO, NO, Twin B! You do NOT dump your juice onto the floor!" I abruptly turned around and tossed his cup into the sink, then turned back to him and added, "And you're not getting any more juice!"

The twins can comprehend nearly everything I say, but because they aren't verbal yet, Twin B simply stood there and looked at me. I looked back at him.

Christ-like Behavior...

As I stood looking at Twin B and simultaneously reaching for a hand towel to clean up his mess, both twins did something I don't think I will forget for a long time to come. Twin A reached out his cup, still half full of orange juice, and handed it to Twin B. Twin B gently took it, but instead of drinking it all, or running away with his brother's cup, he took a small sip, then carefully handed it back to his brother.

I have never, ever, in my entire life, been so humbled by such small children. I felt as though I was the size of a worm.

The scriptures say that the natural man is carnal, sensual and devilish. But in 3 Nephi 11:38, Jesus also said, "And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God."



Today, regarding both of those teachings, I knew exactly what He meant.

20 comments:

Bellismom said...

That is so precious. It is amazing how our little ones can teach us so much!

Cassie said...

That is so cool. You can practically see the twin bond forming right before your eyes.

ajwhet10 said...

Makes me cry -- because it's SO sweet, and because I still forget how much I love my dearest people in times of stress, fatigue, and/or selfishness! Thanks for sharing this.

Keeslermom said...

Awwww! That is so sweet!

Amy said...

Beautiful! I love that. Children really are the best teachers. Thank you for sharing.

Amanda B. said...

That is just awesome. :) I love kids. My kids have done similar things. Isn't it amazing how they teach us more than we teach them sometimes?? :)

Rhonda said...

What a great post, Jen. If only we could ALL be Christlike ALL of the time. Here's to continuing the effort!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Alison said...

Sweet! My children humble me daily...

Emily said...

What a special twin moment! Children are such wonderful teachers of patience and humility, mine work at teaching it to me every day.

Hope you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving!

So Who Is The Crayon Wrangler? said...

As a twin myself, I don't think my sister ever shared her juice.
She would have pointed and laughed.
Then she would have poured her juice on the floor and we would have faced the mother together as a team.

Love this example of behavior!

Pia said...

happy thanksgiving!

alessandra said...

I think you are too hard with yourself
#1 - He did it intentionally, and I'm sure you said exactly:
"NO, NO, NO, Twin B!"
#2 - If you want to become like a child you have to give up all responsibilities, let somebody else do all the job, and play all day long...oh, how much I would like to come back!

Melissa said...

Beautiful! What a great teacher you are that your young kiddos already demonstrate such compassion!

Oonie said...

What a great example you are to them at other times that they themselves could be Christlike at that moment. Where else would they learn it? Good for you and thanks for a great story for Thanksgiving day!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Melissa and Meme, you are too kind, and give me too much credit, I think! The twins certainly didn't have a good example in me at that moment!

Unknown said...

That is so sweet! I love it when kids teach us lessons like that!

Rachel said...

Awww... Those boys are so kind!

Momzoo said...

That is the sweetest thing I have ever read.

inadvertent farmer said...

It amazing how God can use out little ones to teach of His character...great story! Kim

Kayla said...

oh wow, this made me laugh actually, I thought i was going to read that twin with no juice dumped shared juice on the floor while looking at you or something. how humbling, I can't wait for moments like this. Thanks for sharing!