Monday, November 16, 2009

Homemaker Monday: How to Cut an Onion Without Crying

Welcome to the 67th weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

YOURS: Today's "YOURS" goes to Tara over at "Feels Like Home" for her post on candied sweet potatoes! I wanted to link to her because this is obviously a sought-after recipe for Thanksgiving dinner, and her recipe looks easy and delicious! Here, take a look...


Thanks so much for linking up with us, Tara, and I'll look forward to seeing you again! By the way, it looks like you redid the look of your blog and I love it! For Tara's recipe, please click HERE. Thanks, again, Tara!

MINE: My tip today comes from a very reliable source, but I have not personally tried this myself.

My daughter, a raw-food vegan, called me recently and said that she has found the secret to cutting onions without crying.

She swears that if you don't breathe through your nose while cutting an onion, it can be done tear-free. One little inhalation, however, and all is lost. Neither of us knows how this works, but I would challenge you to try this and report back here with your results. I will do the same the next time I have occasion to cut an onion.

OURS: Okay, so what are your tips, recipes, how-tos or other homemaking adventures? If you're new here and would like to link an old post, feel free to dig through your archives then enter your link below. Thanks for joining us today and I hope you have a wonderful Homemaker Monday!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Really about the onions? I am going to have to try that!

Janelle said...

I am really wondering about the raw food vegan. She really only eats raw veggies? I just had never heard of that.

J Lannan said...

I know a couple more no tears onion solutions. Put the onion in the freezer for an hour before you're going to cut it, it helps freeze the vapors inside. Also you can burn a candle near where you're cutting the onion and that helps burn up the rest of the droplets as they reach the air. I actually learned the candle thing from my husband, but picked up the freezer tip from some cooking show that I can't remember now.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Janelle, a raw food vegan is someone who abstains from eating any animal product and eats the majority of their foods uncooked. My daughter eats not only veggies, but fruits, grains, nuts, beans, various sprouted breads and the like. It is actually a very healthy lifestyle if you do it right. I tried it myself, but I kind of veered away from the uncooked aspect of it, but remained vegan until I became pregnant. Now, I'm mostly vegetarian, meaning I consume some dairy and eggs, but once I deliver, I plan on going back to the vegan lifestyle. I lost weight, annoying medical issues went away and I felt great! Thanks for asking!

inadvertent farmer said...

Hey Jen! I find no tears from onions that have been refrigerated and I cut a LOT of onions.

Does your raw food vegan daughter have a blog? I'm thinking about going raw.

inadvertent farmer said...

Jen maybe you should have you and your daughter should do a post about raw foods...

Laura said...

Not breathing through your nose does work! I clean bags of onions at my job in vegetable preparation on a college campus, and I have tried it out. It has saved me from crying, though my eyes do still burn a little.

Definitely worth trying.

Laura

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I.F., that's a great idea! I know she'll be super-excited to work with me on that! She does have a blog, but she doesn't update it too often, but I will ask her if I can link to it here. Thanks for the great idea!

Carla said...

That sweet potato looks amazing!!! I'm trying the onion thing!!!

Janelle said...

My question was worded wrong. I realize that she eats more then just veggies, but I was interested if she only ate veggies if they were raw. I think it is cool. I need to eat healthier but I don't think I will go vegan just yet.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Okay, Janelle, I get it! So yes, she does eat most of her foods raw including her veggies. Sometimes she eats cooked foods, but she believes that cooking causes foods to lose some of their nutritional value. I have mixed feelings on that, as I believe some foods benefit nutritionally by cooking them.

She makes many wonderful dishes which are raw and often has friends over for raw dinner parties. I can't wait 'til she comes home for Christmas to make us her raw lasagna make from thinly sliced squash instead of cooked noodles. It is always a real hit!

Rebecca said...

I also would love to hear more about the raw food and vegan diet. Mainly, what kinds of dishes do you make? Can you do a few posts with menus along that line with recipes and all? (I'm fairly new to your blog, so if you've done that, sorry!)

K @ Prudent and Practical said...

Good onion tip, I'll have to try it out! For a while I tried raw foods - my favorite things were the green smoothies. But, I've read that too many raw greens (broccoli, spinach) can be bad for you, so they should be lightly steamed. I can't find the source where I read that though. Are you going to do a Thanksgiving post? I'm interested in what different sides you cook up for the holiday :-)

annies home said...

that is the first time I had heard of that about the onions I wonder if it really works will have to try it I guess

Emily said...

I always cry when chopping onion. I used frozen chopped onion for awhile but it really is more economical to buy whole onions and chop them myself. I'll give your tip a try tonight when I'm cutting up onions for dinner.

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

Thank you so much for featuring my sweet potato casserole! :)

Anonymous said...

I found that if you peel the onion under running cold water that it doesn't make you cry. Then don't cut the core. Those two tricks keep me tear free!