Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Twin Messes: More Than Double the Trouble

When people find out I have twins, they often say, "Double Trouble!" And I thought that's how it would be, just double the work of two babies. In some cases that's true, but when it comes to messes, it's much more insane than I ever imagined it would be. With one baby making a mess, there is usually a point when he or she gets bored and moves on to something else. With twins, it's different. One will start a mess, the other will see it and join in, the first twin will think it's exponentially more fun now that his brother has joined and proceed to even more enthusiastically destroy, take apart, empty out or spread all over said objects. This then encourages the second twin, who then does the same, and it becomes a vicious cycle of enthusiam and encouragement. Here, let me show you....

Here is an example of the twins getting into the Cheerios someone left too close to the edge of Grandma's table.


Twin A begins to tentatively nibble a piece he collected, while twin B realizes he has just hit the jackpot and begins scooping up handful after handful of the newly discovered treats...


Next is an example of twin A getting caught in the act...


Once he realized he was going to get his photo taken and not be swiftly picked up and taken to another room, he became quite happy...


Here we have an example of what can happen if the rice cereal is not placed in a secured cabinet...


And here are the twins after having opened the package and taken out what they believe to be miniature pillows from under the bathroom sink...


You know what they are, though. They are to be used in the rare event that my egg doesn't get fertilized...but the twins have different ideas for them...


And last, but certainly not least, here is how twin A eats a mini watermelon...


He truly appears drunken with delight...


I'm thankful for lots of character-building experiences day by day. Thanks for listening.

I am pleased to list this post @...
Rhondi's "Thankful Thursday" and
Lynn's "Thankful Thursday".
Check out these blog for lots more posts on gratitude!


If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

11 comments:

alessandra said...

Seen from a detached point of view ( not mine, if I was supposed to clean up ) this is very hilarious, thank's for sharing.

Kelli said...

I'm tired thinking of all the bendind, scooping, wiping, and sweeping... The boys are adorable!

Amanda B. said...

Ya- I sooooo get this post. :) My twins do the same thing. One thing they have done a few times has occurred when I forgot to "lock" the water dispenser on the fridge. They think it is so fun to continually press the lever for water and watch it hit the floor as they splash and giggle in it- over and over- creating a pool in our kitchen if I don't catch them fast enough......

Cheryl B. said...

While I didn't have twins, I did have four sons in six years time. The first two were 22 months apart, and then a 2 1/2 year span during which I lost two, and then we had two more - 15 months apart.
Early on we dubbed them "seek, destroy, destruct, and dismantle". Now while most often particular sons fit certain positions, it didn't always run that way. HOWEVER, they always made sure that all positions were filled!!!
Now that they are all in their twentys I am often asked, "didn't it go by fast?" (referring to their growing up years). "Fast? No. S-U-P-E-R busy and kaotic(?). But I do have l-o-t-s of stories/memories which thankfully have gone from insane to funny :-p"
One tip I'd share - we went with the philosophy 'make the punishment fit the crime'. Add in, 'if they are old / big enough to make the mess, their old enough to start helping clean it'. Most of the time it would have been ever so much easier to just do it myself ... but they had to help. Unfortunelty it didn't put a stop to all messes - 'the thrill of the hunt' seemed to trigger quicker and heavier than 'the results of the mess' did 8-/. Aw well ... boys will be boys .... ;-p

Grammy said...

Aw they are adorable. I remember those days of paper towels and mess. They are fun to think back on. Happy TT.

Lauren said...

those photos are the cutest funniest things ever!! haha Thank you for making me laugh this morning!:)

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

Very cute pics!! They are adorable!

Emily said...

I cannot even imagine. I can barely keep up with one baby's mess, can't imagine two at once. Good Luck keeping up!

Anonymous said...

What cute pics....You are one great mom to keep up with it all.

April said...

My twins are now 8.5 and when they were babies I remember messes like those!!! I feel for you, but it's so wonderful I'd have twins again in a heartbeat.

Unknown said...

They are adorable.