Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Glimpse of One Moment in Time

As I was folding clothes a few days ago, I began listening to the sounds of my children. None of them were within eye-shot, so I started wondering what they all were doing. As I walked toward the sounds of activity, the first thing I saw were the twins playing quietly together with a box of blocks in the entryway...


This scene enchanted me, probably because I had waited for moments like these for so long during the grueling first year, times when they would simply play together and enjoy each other's company without me having to be right by their sides. I wanted to save this moment on film, so I did, then I thought I would catch what every other child was doing at that exact moment in time and save it to the camera as well. Here's what I found...


This is the 9-year-old boy vacuuming fruit flies from off the peaches. His brother is apparently advising him. A few months ago I posted photos of how our family does fruit, depicting bowl after bowl of various produce on our island and a commentator asked how we dealt with fruit flies. Question answered.


This is the 3-year-old boy trying to vacuum the fruit flies as well, but he can't figure out why he isn't having as much success with his attachment as his brother is with his.


Here we have the 14-year-old girl making cabbage soup. We had received three cabbages from some friends earlier that day and she knew it would be wise to use them as soon as possible. She suggested that she make cabbage soup for dinner, I stated that I thought it was a fine idea, she googled a recipe, and here she is carrying out her well thought-out plan.

When it came to finding the 7-year-old girl. It took a while. I looked in her room, the game room, the front yard, the side yard, and finally I found her in the back yard. I called her name, but she couldn't hear me. As I got closer, I heard her singing her heart out to a favorite song on her shuffle while admiring her dad's gardening. It was pretty dang precious.


And here is what I was doing before being distracted by wanting to document a moment in time...


P.S. If you're wondering where the other three children were, the 20-year-old girl lives on her own, and I actually tried to call her to see what she was doing, but couldn't reach her, the 17-year-old boy is in Alaska with his uncle and the 12-year-old boy was in scout camp!

P.P.S. Sorry about the bright window lighting in almost every photo!

I am pleased to list this post @...


Angie hosts "Wordful Wednesday" for those of us who don't like to keep our mouths shut for Wordless Wednesday. It's totally fun!

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

11 comments:

Bethany Cox said...

1) the people who comment on your blog are not "commentators", they are "commenters" YOU are the commentator on these lovely photos.
2) I didn't see any missed calls from you on my phone
3) that garden is Claire's step-dad's, not her dad's
4) Claire is beautiful

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Bethany,
You are just saying that because Claire looks just like you!

P.S. I called a few days ago, when I took all these photos.

said...

I lost track of how many kids you have but I thoroughly enjoyed the photostory. :o)

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun! The kids are sure growing so quickly. Fun that the twins can play together mama free now! Your kids are great. Loved the pic of Claire.

Elyse said...

What a GREAT WW! Can you believe how FAST kiddos grow up?! LOVE how you guys deal with the fruit flies :)
~Elyse

Rhonda said...

I love this post!

p.s. for fruit flies put out a bowl of apple cider vinegar with a couple drops of dishsoap in the area where the offenders gather the most. The bowl will be full of fruit flies that met their demise and they'll be gone in no time! A great trick I learned recently.

Bethany Cox said...

ya, you're right about that!

Brenda said...

Thats a great photo essay. I'm impressed that your 14 year old will cook without being told. Looks like you have wonderful children

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Thank you so much for you sweet compliment, Brenda! The 14-year-old girl really does enjoy cooking. Perhaps God sent her to me because He knew I would need the help!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Thanks so much for your comment, Following Him! As far as dealing with fruit flies, the 9-year-old gets all the credit, for it was his idea! Now off to see your WW! Hope to see you around!

Luvmy9 said...

I love "moments in time". That's what I felt when I first saw a video of my kids from someone else's camcorder (back when we couldn't afford one). I felt I had a part of my children that I could keep forever and take out and remember when they were little. Your pictures are always great. And, I love your kids so much-I really get a kick out of reading about them in your blog.