Sunday, July 12, 2009

Homemaker Monday: Chocolate Cake for Breakfast and The Fruits of My Husband's Labor

Welcome to the 48th weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to Mrs. Mordecai at Be It Ever So Humble! Her link was entitled "Chocolate Cake for Breakfast" and I HAD to see that! This recipe boasts lots of healthy ingredients such as whole wheat flour, applesauce, milk (which I would substitute with soy or almond milk), raisins and very little sugar. There is a lot of chocolate in this cake, but they say chocolate is good for you, right? :) When I tell my kids we are having chocolate cake for breakfast, they will worship the ground I walk on. That will be sweet. I am SOOOO going to do this. Thanks for linking up with us, Mrs. Mordecai! Can't WAIT to try this! For Mrs. Mordecai's entire post, click HERE. Oh, and if you'd like, Mrs. Mordecai, feel free to take the "I Was Featured" button from the left sidebar!

MINE: Today's Homemaker Monday post is a tribute to my husband. He is a man who has always worked tirelessly to provide in all ways for our family, whether it be financially, physically, mentally or spiritually. For this post, I would like to focus on a way he has provided for our temporal needs and for some of our wants as well. Before I met John, he was an avid flower gardener. If I was using his computer, I would link up some of the photos he has taken of his various gardens in California, which were absolutely spectacular. However, we'll see some examples of his flower gardening in Mexico in just a bit. Once John married me with my six kids, he realized that in addition to flower gardening, learning vegetable gardening would serve us well. This first summer living in our hacienda in Mexico, on a three acre bit of land, John has produced a bounteous garden or lettuce, tomatoes, herbs, corn, pumpkins, sunflowers, carrots, radishes, zucchini, cucumbers (click HERE for an entertaining story on those), squash, gourds, watermelons and I'm sure there is more, but I can't remember it all. And have the kids and I enjoyed the fruits of his labor! After church today, the 3-year-old, the twins and the 9-year-old enjoyed snacking along the rows of the garden. It was such a wholesome site and I wanted to share it with you. Here they are...



(Feel free to click to enlarge to see the cuteness of Twin B's face above...)



What could warm a vegan mommy's heart more?

And now, John's flower garden eye candy I promised. Am I a lucky lady or what?


(sweet alyssum)



(hibiscus)



(gladiolus, marigolds and nasturtiums)

So yeah, I'm a lucky lady. Don't hate me because my husband's garden is beautiful.

OURS: Okay, let's see what all of you in blog land have for us today! What's growing in your garden? How are preserving it? Please share ANYTHING related to homemaking, including teaching kids to work in the home, and link up here every Monday! Thanks for joining us and have a great day!

I'm having problems with MckLinky. If you can't enter your post here, please, please, PLEASE leave your link in the comment section. Thank you!



If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMAZING!! Your garden looks great! The flowers are beautiful as well. I can't wait to see your place. Your hubby does an amazing job! You are so lucky to have each other.

alessandra said...

You are a very lucky lady, but why should we hate you?
:D

Kitchen Stewardship said...

MckLinky says "this form is closed." ??? I'll try back later!

Dianna said...

Thanks for featuring my cake! I love your sweet alyssum! I wanted to grow some this year but I forgot to water them. :(

BarbaraJo said...

Your yard is looking amazing!!

Cheryl B. said...

I really hope you don't get offended, but when I read this posts title, grinning ear to ear I started shaking my head and chuckling .... "Chocolate Cake for Breakfast and The Fruits of My Husband's Labor" - Let's see - He's getting served Chocolate Cake for Breakfast because due to his 'labor' (;-p) she will be adding another pile to the laundry row? o;-p
still chuckling ...

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Oh my gosh, Cheryl! Where is your mind! That is SOOOOO funny! Unfortunately, he doesn't like chocolate, but I could try coconut cream pie as a reward for his "labors"! Thanks for the good laugh. I will definitely refer him to your comment!

Salsa Mama said...

I'm sorry, but your pictures do NOT do it justice. I can't believe how beautiful those flowers are, especially the gladiolas. WOW! Lincoln came by as I was looking at the pictures and said, "It's grandma and granpa's house!!". He's an observant kid!

Elder Romney's mission said...

I drove by the other day and was amazed by your beautiful and colorful flowers!

Anonymous said...

keep in mind you can eat the nasturium leaves and flowers...Yum!!