Sunday, September 27, 2009

The 14-Year-Old Girl Sews an Eclectic Book Bag and The Winner of The Gourmet Food Storage Package!

Welcome to the 60th weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

Before we get started with the "YOURS", "MINE", and "OURS" sections of Homemaker Monday, let me announce which lucky reader won the Gourmet Food Storage package. This is so fun! Okay, I'm going to random.org right now....

...and the winner is....

Christine over at "The Real Life Home"! Christine, just email me your mailing address and The Food Storage Depot will send your gourmet bread mix right out. My email address is mom2my9 [at] gmail [dot] com. Congratulations!

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" had to go to Katie over at Kitchen Stewardship for her post about abortion.



While this may not seem like a homemaking topic, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that life is what makes our homes. Without life, without our families, even if we are only a family of one, there is no home.

As I've debated with my sister when it came to who I would vote for president, I have always told her that the most important platform to me was abortion. Health care, education, national security are all important, but what about the millions of children who are dying at their own mother's hands every year? To me, nothing surpasses the importance of choosing leaders who share my belief about abortion.

Please go over to Kitchen Stewardship and read what you can do to help stop this abomination. She's HERE. Thank you so much, Katie, for your dedication to the things in life which are so important. You are making the world a better place!

MINE: The 14-year-old girl is amazing and awe-inspiring to me. But then, I'm partial. I (okay, and God, oh, and my husband) created her, so I kinda like her. It's just that she's probably a better seamtress than I, as I've never sewed something this complicated, that I know of.

Here's how her eclectic book bag turned out...



I love that she picked out fabric that shows her varied interests, such as music and basketball. And I love the cute little buttons she interspersed around that outside flap...



I love this side pocket, for a cell phone, if she ever gets one...



I am astounded by the straight seams on the inside zipper compartments...



...but I think my favorite part is the lining she used for the inside zipper compartments...



...and the piping...unbelievable, as piping is not a easy thing to sew...



This is what she looks like every day when she goes to school.



It's been over 7 weeks since school has started and the bag is still going strong. Good job, 14-year-old girl! Now can you make me one?

Post addendum....The 14-year-old girl wants me to let you know that she is selling these bags for the low price of $29.99! Just leave a comment if you would like to order one!

OURS: Okay, now it's your turn! I can't wait to read all of your great homemaking advice. If it's your first time here, don't be afraid to search your archives and enter in your homemaking post, whether it's a recipe, a tip, of your feelings about homemaking or motherhood. Thank you to all who joined us today and I hope you have a great Homemaker Monday!



If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

17 comments:

alessandra said...

She has a great talent! beautiful bag! and that pocket sayng " want a cell" ;)

annies home said...

love the super cool bag. My daughter loves to make her own as well. Your daughters resembles many of the popular brands of today

Anonymous said...

Ooooooo...how exciting to win such a great treat!! Thank-you so much!

I love your daughter's bag. What a gifted young lady. Does she have Etsy store dreams?

Off to e-mail you!

Kami said...

She is definitely a talented young seamstress! That bag is wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

Jen, I hope you don't mind I posted about making your homemade bread...it was such a hit with the family...the kids friends...and the neighbors! ;) hehehee!!!

Your girl has talent! I love how varied her interests are! She's going to grow into such a strong and unique woman! You should be proud!

Have a beautiful day!

Jes

Montserrat said...

I'm new here. Just found your blog last week while searching kitchen designs. I couldn't believe it when I saw your gorgeous kitchen! I've planned mine almost exactly the same way but with a deep red island and more of an old country general store theme rather than Mexican, although I love that also as I'm half Mexican!

Then a couple of days later a friend of mine posted about Homemaker Mondays..so I knew I had to come back.

Your daughter's bag is perfect! And well made too.

Christy said...

That is a great bag - my big girls bought theirs - and they are anywhere as cool!

Cheryl B. said...

My question is - you stated that she has already been using it for seven weeks, right? And it still looks that new? And espically that white?!!! How?!!!

MELINDA - you usually comment on Jen's blog ... I clicked on your picture but was told you've chosen not to show your profile, so I don't know how else to contact you ... were you in G.R., MI this past weekend ... holding a door as I walked out? .. don't remember exactly where now (8-/) ... but at the time I thought ... "she looks like ...." was it you?

Jen, thanks for letting me take up your space for that ;-p

Anonymous said...

WOW that bag is so cool. I really like it. She is very talented. She definately puts me to shame! Love her style!


Hey Cheryl,
Nope, it wasn't me you saw this weekend. I live in Mesa, Arizona. Wish it was though. I would love to be in a cooler place right now. :) Dont know why my profile is blocked I didn't intend it to be. Thanks for contacting me. Have a good week.

Lydia said...

What a cute bag she did a great job and I love her fabric choices too.

bilbysalenger said...

Oh my gosh. I cannot believe this bag. That is something I would go seek out and buy at a boutique here in the city! More than likely it would be on back order and I wouldn't be able to get it for months. She needs a big pat on the back for that one. Innovative, talented and stylish. Nice combo!

Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship said...

Jen,
Thanks for the shoutout! I hope my daughter is half as talented as yours when she is 14. :)
Best, Katie

Bethany Cox said...

I'll take a bag, but i don't want basketballs on it. and maybe more purple? and also, I don't mind paying for it, but just remind her that she did not get me a birthday present... :-)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Yes, Beth, she always talks about how she still owes you a skirt or a bag. I will pass on your message about the basketball and the purple....

moshell's lilbit of space said...

Great bag!!!!


I don't remember how I found your page, but I am so glad that I have, you enlighten me everyday. And for that I say thank you.

Expat Mom said...

That's a gorgeous bag! Great sewing skills. Those will hold her in good stead later in life, too.

singlemormonchick said...

thanks for doing this, i look forward to it every week!