Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Easy Raw Blackberry Jam

Blackberries
Ingredients:
4 cups fresh organic blackberries
12 pitted dates

Directions:
The only step: Place ingredients in a Vita-Mix blender and blend until smooth. (I'm not sure this will work in a regular blender.)

Place in a container in the fridge and enjoy for 7 to 10 days.

This blackberry jam is SOOOOOO good for you as all of the enzymes remain intact because the blackberries haven't been cooked, there is no refined sugar, and the seeds, which are rich in anti-oxidants, are left in the jam. Honestly, it is a little gritty, but to me, so worth it. If you have tons of blackberries and want to make a lot of jam, this can be frozen. Enjoy!

Blackberries

I am pleased to list this post @...

-Kelly's "Real Food Wednesday",
-Tip Junkie's "Talk to me Tuesday",
-5 Minutes for Mom's "Tackle It Tuesday",
-Tammy's Recipe's "Kitchen Tip Tuesday",
-Blessed With Grace's "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday",
-Mary's "Tightwad Tuesday",
-Jen's "Tasty Tuesday",
Gollum's...



...and a newly discovered carnival...



If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

16 comments:

Amanda said...

What a wonderful recipe... I LOVE all things organic..and EASY!!!

I am going to click away and follow and do whatever I can to help fund the 9.5!!! I really think your family is wonderful.

Blessings-
Amanda

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Sounds easy enough. But I'm afraid Blackberries don't last long enough around here to do this with! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

Sherrie

Unknown said...

Wow, no sugar? This is wonderful.

The sugar is usually added as a preservative, right? So does this jam spoil easier than other jams?

Either way I will have to try it.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Hi CFMama! Yes, this jam only last for 7 to 10 days, so if you make too much, you may want to freeze some. To me, though, it's worth it!

Susie said...

What a yummy tackle:-)

Heather said...

Sounds delicious, blackberry jam is one of my favourites. I never thought to make jam with dates, I've used dried pineapple as a sweetener/thickener and that is delicious but I love the idea of dates too. I just happen to have a whole huge case of dates in my freezer as well. ;-)

Cheryl B. said...

Blackberry jam (or cobbler) is my ab-so-lute favorite!!! Of course, the kind I've had and made always included sugar. There is just nothing like a horribly cold "snow day" (schools closed due to weather conditions, etc.) and fresh homemade biscuits and blackberry jam :-} Woops, I'm drooling ;-b
My grand mother use to make it out of berries from the woods behind her house. Yum!!! No matter what meal she served when we were there, she'd pull out some blackberry jam too ;-}
In-fact, I rmember - we were married in May. Later that summer we accompanied my family down home for gatherings on both sides. While we were at the other grandmothers house, that grandmother called and had INSISTED my dad put me on the phone. She remembered that it was almost my B-day, and wondered did I want home made noodles or dumplings with the chicken, and did I want Blackberry cobbler of Butterscotch pie for dessert? She knew I liked all of those options, but was wanting ME to choose. I felt ever so special and loved!!! And man was that meal delicious!!! She had also served fresh green beans slowly cooked with bacon ....
okay, I know your vegan - and I hope I NEVER offend you with talking about foods you don't eat !!!
rough ending, not sure what to say ...

Stephanie Appleton said...

I've tried a lot of things with blackberries, but this is unique. Interesting.

Poppedijne said...

It is almost impossible for us to find enough blackberries to make jam out of it or you have to go to the woods to pick them yourself...Sadly this is not a recipie to make for me but it sounds delishous!

susan said...

I WISH I could find blackberries to do this. They have been gone from the farmers' market for weeks--and were exorbitant when they had them--maybe you could just send me some :)

Martha said...

I've never seen raw jam but it looks really good -- I'll have to give it a try.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

This is a groundbreaking recipe. Vitamins galore. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I've never seen anything like this before. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

bj said...

Such an easy thing! I love blackberries any way they are fixed.
Thanks!

carebear said...

Awesome! We have blackberry bushes in our backyard down by the creek. We usually just pick em and eat em...now I can make jam! :)
Got any blackberry cobbler recipes up your sleeve or apron? :)

Lula Lola said...

I know we've got a while to go before blackberries will be on the vine again, but we have tons of bushes down near our creek. I cannot wait to try this. Sounds great!
I'll let you know if it works with other blenders!