Friday, December 18, 2009

A Letter to My Sister's Therapist

I've mentioned my sister before, my sister with the Ph.D. She is brilliant, truly a genius, probably, but recently has decided to receive therapy from an LDS family therapist. While Robyn has always been a delight to be around, there were sometimes events that triggered, shall we say, unpleasant behavior from her. Since receiving therapy, however, our entire family has noticed a marked difference, an improvement, in her psyche.

We've all mentioned this to her, and she, in turn, has mentioned it to her therapist. Upon hearing her testimonial, Dr. F. asked if she would write a letter about her change to use on his website. She decided, however, that because I had been the one to notice so much improvement, I should be the one to write the letter.

Here is my letter, after editing...

Dear Dr. F.,

I wanted to write this letter to express what a dramatic improvement wonderful change our family has noticed in Robyn since receiving therapy in your office. Robyn has always been a brilliant woman, and a delight to be around, but she certainly had her moments where we counted the days until she left town to go back to California. During the last two visits our family has had from Robyn, we've noticed that she doesn't yell at us as much get ruffled as easily, and gives thoughtful, considerate advice when needed, but is not overbearing and totally in everyone's business, a pot-stirrer shall we say, as she sometimes tended to be before.

Robyn also seems to have developed a closer relationship to The Savior and seems to see the brighter side of life, whereas before, she would incessantly complain about everything and everyone. She seems to be generally much happier, and thus, when she comes for a visit, we are no longer counting the days 'til she leaves happier, too!

When she told our mother that you said you felt she no longer needed therapy, my mother nearly fell over herself insisting that she continue receiving therapy, as she has gotten SO much better gently suggested that Robyn continue with her therapy and not stop, as she has seen such an amazing improvement!

Thank you, Dr. F., for helping Robyn help herself. Not only have you made an individual's life better, you've made our lives MUCH more bearable! an entire family's life better!

Eternally Grateful Sincerely,

Jen



(Robyn is shown here with the newborn twins during one of her happy moments.)

And guess what? Robyn pre-approved this post and she's okay with it! Yes, that's how close we are.

18 comments:

Connie said...

I love Robyn! I have only ever seen the pleasant "side" of her...but, congrats to her on taking such positive "steps". Tell her hi for me!

Cheryl Martinson said...

LOL....so funny. Therapists are so wonderful and I think we should all have one. Good for her for all her hard work for improving her life. That there shows how strong of a woman she is. You go girl :)

Muliebrity said...

I hope tp one day share a post like this about my mom and/or sister. Merry Christmas!

alessandra said...

I remember the prank she made to you some month ago, is this post some kind of...revenge? ;-)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Connie, you know, I don't even remember why Robyn decided to receive therapy in the first place, but man, it is a testimony that maybe we all could use a little psychiatric help! I love Robyn, too!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Alessandra, YES! Revenge!

Rhonda said...

Used to be that if someone was receiving therapy it was sort of a taboo subject. These days, seriously, EVERYONE should be in therapy! I've seen it help some family members I love too!

YAY for Robin for seeking it and yay for it helping so much! I bet she's so much happier with herself, and the bonus is that the family delights in it too!

Self-improvement ROCKS.

Keeling said...

wow, i was going to say that if I were your sister I would be so mad that you posted this, but then I read the last sentence. I'm glad she ok'd it first :)

BTW, I've been a long-time reader, but a not-so-often commenter

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Yes, Keeling, she might have been mad had she not read it, but she never reads my blog anyway, so I could probably say anything I wanted and she would never know!

Oh, and thanks for "lurking" on my blog and commenting today. I hope to hear from you again soon!

Rebecca Talley said...

Good for her to get some help. I have extended family members that could've benefitted from therapy.

Love the letter :).

debi9kids said...

How wonderful for your sister and how amazing to see such great strides so easily.

Great letter!

debi9kids said...

How wonderful for your sister and how amazing to see such great strides so easily.

Great letter!

Salsa Mama said...

I've always liked Robin!! You go, girl!

joyinthejourney said...

Oh, that's sweet funny and happy all rolled into one! Hope my girls are always that close.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Luvmy9 said...

I love Robyn! What a great sport she is, and such a loving sister. You know that I envy you having 3 sisters and I have none! Well, at least my 4 daughters will have sisters.

Jen, honstly, you are such a great writer, and very creative. This blog is a great outlet for your talents.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS AWESOME! Good for her.

Grampa Al said...

Oh Jenny, that was the funniest thing I've read in a good long while! The post had the unexpected effect of making me love Robby even more - she is so cool. I LOVE OUR FAMILY!