Sunday, June 20, 2010

Homemaker Monday: The Brownie Recipe I've Been Searching For All My Life

Welcome to the 96th weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

YOURS: Today's "YOURS" goes to Ashlee over at I'm Topsy Turvy! She posts a tutorial on how to make the cutest felt flower headbands. And since I'm totally obsessed with gathering props for newborn photo shoots, I can't wait to try this! Take a look HERE. Thank you so much, Ashlee, for linking up and posting your tutorial. We'll look forward to hearing more from you! Please feel free to take the "I Was Featured" button from my left side bar. :)

MINE: The Most Decadent Brownies EVER...

Photobucket

True story...

So I find this awesome-looking recipe linked to my Homemaker Monday blog carnival, and I decide to make it for our Monday Family Home Evening treat. In case you didn't know, Mormons all over the world spend every Monday evening with their families. During this time we open our Family Home Evening meeting with a prayer, sing hymns, teach gospel principles, try to do some kind of fun activity, and end with a treat.

Actually, I decided that the 13-year-old boy would make the brownies, since it was his turn to be the dinner-helper for the month of June.

So he's getting the ingredients out, making a mess, mixing things together, and he says, "Mom. It doesn't say how much flour to put in."

"Yes it does, 13-year-old boy. Look harder."

"Mom, I did. It doesn't say."

So I get the baby off the boob, go over there to where the computer is, and sure enough, no flour measurement.

Now this is causing quite a problem because he already has half the ingredients measured out and in the bowls. So I send a quick comment to the author of the brownie recipe, Jennifer at Frugal Front Porch, hoping that she will just happen to be sitting by her computer and can tell me the correct flour measurement, but she doesn't respond. So....I just tell the 13-year-old boy to mix everything together and I will guesstimate how much flour to add judging by consistency...

And this was probably one of the most correct things I've ever done in my life. This became the brownie recipe I had been searching for all of my life, and I can't stop making them now and I am personally blaming Jennifer for the fact that I will no longer be able to lose weight.

Now the funny thing is, when she got back to me on the correct flour measurement, it was a cup more than I had added, and she had made another mistake as well. Her recipe had called for 1 1/3 cup cocoa, but she let me know that that had been a misprint, and that it was supposed to be only 1/3 cup cocoa. Apparently she had had a migraine while trying to post, but her error in judgment created a most delectable situation for our family.

After juggling the ingredients around a little more, this is what I came up with. And I have to tell you that these brownies are already making a name for themselves around town. In the last three days, two people have said, "Oh, are these the brownies you brought over to Kara's!" I say yes, and then a large smile spreads across their faces.

You're welcome... oh, I mean, thank you, Jennifer!

Oh, and P.S....two things...

I don't like to use a rubber spatula to get the batter onto the cookie sheet. If I did that, I wouldn't have THIS to snack on...

Photobucket

Also, if you would like to take these to the park or camping or the hair dresser or whatever, just cut them into squares, lay them on wax paper in about three layers, and place into a gallon Ziploc bag. Everyone around you will love you and they will stay looking neat and tidy...

Photobucket

Okay, NOW here's the recipe...

The Best Fudgy Brownies Ever

This is the brownie recipe I have been looking for all my life....

See The Best Fudgy Brownies Ever on Key Ingredient.


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups butter
1/4 cup water
4 eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons sour cream or yogurt
3 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup flour
2 cups cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (optional)
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 cup brown sugar, for topping

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.

3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.

4. Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl and mix with the dry ingredients. If you are using the chocolate chips and the nuts, stir them in now.

5. Spread into a large, greased jelly roll pan.

6. Sprinkle with brown sugar.

7. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes, or until a clean tooth pick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.

These brownies are best when served after being cooled in the fridge. For easiest cutting, use a plastic knife. I don't know why, but it works!

Direct recipe link: http://beta.keyingredient.com/recipes/858010/the-best-fudgy-brownies-ever/

OURS: Okay, what tips, tutorials or timeless advice to all you homemakers have for us today. Link up and have a great Homemaker Monday!




Today on Whole Food Kids: Melon Popsicles...

Photobucket

Today on life in mexico {and other places} a picture a day: {campaigning}

Today on 365 Days of TV-Free Toddler Time: Squash-Pickin' Time

17 comments:

maggy, red ted art said...

Oh my, that recipe looks devine!! Can't wait to try it out!!! Thank you!

Maggy

Jb said...

Hmmm...I have to make a cake for MIL's birthday today...maybe I'll make these instead...I don't think she would mind the switch at all!

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

I love brownies. Your look delicious. I love that you used yogurt.

Anonymous said...

These look delish! Are they as good as the Ghiardelli brownies? and by the way, you never called me back last night.

Love, Mom

Panamamama said...

Oh, just what I didn't need- another good brownie recipe! My downfall...

Linda @ Linda's Lunacy said...

I never make brownies using anything but my tired and true recipe. But your brownies look so good! So moist, and fudgey. I shall have to try them!

Brian + Cheryl B. said...

Hi Jen :-)

y-e-s, I am still coming around once in a while. And YES, I do still read all of your postings which come to me via email. So why havn't I commented in a while? I have been so-o busy!!! Go to my blog and scan read the last few weeks of postings and you'll see why.

Yes, I have taken the time to do my own postings. But due to the age of this computer, and how slowely it downloads other peoples sights, etc., I havn't been doing a lot of visiting or commenting lately. Sorry.

But yes, I AM still your friend :-)

Isin't it funny and yet great how once we stumble upon a recipe for a particular item that totally hits the spot for us, we often won't even consider trying any other recipies for that type of a product?

I have enjoyed your postings where you have shared tips for taking pictures. But I did think that I should warn you - your now current baby might not find the pictures you posted with his butt up in the air, or show casing the roll of fat in his arm pit, like you have. Espically once he reaches around the age of ten to eleven. Guys don't always see the 'cuteness' in such things. chuckle, chuckle.

Did your mom have any suggestions on how to showcase the height of that tree at the camping sight, which wouldn't involve taking the shot at an angle?

Our fourth son too has very long legs like your nephew does. I can just imagine the faces he was making over you lying on the floor trying to get the perfect shot. ;-p!

You came to mind Sat. evening Jen. We had been invited to the college graduation open house for son # 4's girlfriends brother. The brother had gone to school with our # 1 and 2 sons. He had worked with son # 3. And now he knows son #4. My husband had worked with the mom for a short while. We figured it was the perfect time to go meet the whole family.

The thing is, the dad is half Mexican :-) So you and your life came to mind ;-)

Nice chatting at you again!

singlemormonchick said...

those look really good. i love when you freelance the recipe and it still turns out great.

Jenn said...

LOL My mission is complete! ;D

Ironic you posted this today. I was thinking about making these your way for our dessert tonight! ;D

BTW-These sorts of recipes are the exact reason I haven't lost any baby fat 3 YEARS AFTER the baby's born! lol

Tara said...

OH MY GOODNESS! The recipe called for an EXTRA CUP of cocoa and you liked it! I think one bite of that brownie would do me a month - is it really rich?
Tara in NC

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Yes, Tara, very rich, but very, very delicious!

alessandra said...

I am (can I say salivating?) over those chocolate-y wonders, while pondering to make that beautiful headband in the next future....

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Alessandra, I still love the way you write!

alessandra said...

Me too, I mean, your way ;)
XOXO

Tasha Lehman said...

There really is nothing better than the perfect brownie!

Rebecca said...

Looks yummy. Do you really put 2 cups of cocoa powder in them?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Becky, yes, you use 2 cups of cocoa!