Thursday, June 24, 2010

When 7 of your kids invite 8 friends over...

... it's great to have a teenage daughter who loves to cook...

Photobucket

This came together in no time. She used THIS recipe for the crust, poured on some bottled spaghetti sauce, grated up the mozarella in the food processor, added some canned olives and mushrooms, then sliced a couple of bell peppers and sprinkled them on top.

And since she knew to double it, it fed all 16 of us. Thanks, 15-year-old girl! I don't know how I would manage without you! :)

P.S. I also wanted to show you the cute swallows who have built a nest against our home...

Photobucket

This evening I watched the mother of these 5 babies fly back and forth, back and forth, countless times, finding food for her offspring and feeding it to them one at a time. I thought of all the work I do every day and I realized that work is just part of God's plan. We all have to and should do it, whether we're a swallow or a person. Realizing this made me feel better about working hard. Just thought I'd share.

Photobucket


Today on 365 Days of TV-Free Toddler Time: Laying on a Quilt Outside Time!

Today on life in mexico {and other places} a picture a day: {outside the popsicle store at night}

9 comments:

Trisha said...

I too enjoy watching the swallows, just don't like the mess they leave underneath their nest! I allow them "one porch" in which to build their nests at my house and the rest I knock down. I know I'm mean but I'm particular about where I'm going to allow their mess. I'm ready for that 15 year old to sell another supper. Her foods always yummy!

Meghan said...

Can I borrow the 15yo to teach my 16yo how to cook something other than tuna sandwiches? Ha.

The swallows are so cute.

The only thing that ever built a nest in my house were bees. Right in my little guys floor boards. We had to barricade his room off & he slept with me.

Good times.

Jennifer said...

Wow - that is very profound and made me think. I needed that - thanks! Although, I have to admit it actually made me feel a little guilty that I don't always work hard enough. But it's true - we should all work hard and it is part of life. Thanks for these words today!

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Oops - sorry didn't mean for that to post twice! (I deleted one of them!)

ElizOF said...

The pizza looks delicious and those baby swallows brought a warm feeling to my heart .... how adorable and amazing grace the Lord's work is indeed.
By the way, I am mom to teen twins and they are a blessing too. Blessings to you and your family.
Happy SITS Friday and a merry weekend to you and yours!
Cheers,
Eliz

alessandra said...

That pizza looks yummy, but I checked the crust recipe and, is it possible that you don't need to let it raise for a couple hours at least?
Doesn't taste yeasty?

alessandra said...

Oh, I forgot, about the hard work, I'm too slacker to agree in this case, but love you nonetheless.;)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Ale, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you! No, you don't have to let this crust rise. That is the same thing I asked my daughter, and she said no, that she'd made it before and it turned out great. And no, it didn't taste yeasty at all!