Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tips for Better Photographs - Part 3


Background

As JB, one of my faithful commentators suggested on Monday, determining the background of a photograph is of utmost importance. The following photos show what to do, and what NOT to do!

This photo of the 13-year-old boy was taken at our recent camp out. My plan was to make sure his cousin's hat was in the foreground to paint of picture of them having an enjoyable conversation out in the fresh air....

Photobucket

As you can see, however, it almost looks as if the 13-year-old boy is wearing a chef's hat because there is a trash bag in the background directly over his head. This is one of the cutest pictures I've taken of him, but because of the bag, it was completely ruined. :(

Here's another example of what not to do...

Photobucket

Honestly, this has to be one of the loveliest photos I've taken of the 8-year-old girl. It was taken at the "magic hour", as I discussed in Tuesday's post, but if you'll look carefully, there is a large cow patty to the immediate left of her elbow. Disgusting, on so many levels. I'll try to do better next time.

Before I get to my background successes, let me add that sometimes you can get an unexpected dimension added to your photograph by certain backgrounds...

Photobucket

I shot this photo of the twins in the Mexican grocery store last week and the expression of the man on the left is quite entertaining to me and adds to the story.

Okay, now let's talk about the successes I've had....

Photobucket

What I love about the background of this photo of yellow and orange lantana is the fact that I made sure to get the pink petunias to the right and left. I could have angled the camera a different way and only captured the other yellow and orange flowers, but I purposely grabbed the pink because I love the contrast. See, I CAN do something right when it comes to background!

Next is a favorite photo I took at a recent Mother/Daughter "T" (for Mormon temple) Party...

Photobucket

I only wanted the white tablecloth in the background, rather than the lawn, so as not to distract from these amazing cream puff cakes, and having the cup to the top right really puts the plate of food into the context of the "T" party.

If you would like to post some links of your favorite photos with great backgrounds, feel free in the comments section! Thanks for listening.


Today on life in mexico {and other places} a picture a day: {weeping willow} (which happens to be another great example of perspective, which we talked about on Tuesday!)

6 comments:

Jb said...

That cream puff picture looks so delicious I almost licked my computer screen!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Haha, JB!

Tina said...

Love, love, love how you do grocery shopping with two carts. I do the same--so I can fit two toddlers and a baby seat (if I'm not wearing the baby). Great pictures!

singlemormonchick said...

you are doing great! i love your pictures. :)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Thanks, Tina and SMC!

Anonymous said...

two words--crop and photoshop, those pictures aren't unfixable, plus, trash and poop, part of life right?