Thursday, May 15, 2008

How I Do It

Because I have nine children, including a set of three-month-old twins, peoople are always asking me how I do it. I thought I would take some time to answer that question.
One way I do it is by having fun kitchen appliances. Here's what I have and why:
P.S. I'm not getting paid to advertize for these companies, I would just like to show you how you can make your life easier, too!

First we have the automatic icecream maker. You don't have to worry about having rock salt and ice on hand and you don't even have to use a freezer bowl. This baby has a compressor built right in. It only makes a quart and a half, but for me, it is worth it if my eight-year-old can use it.




Next, to make my ice cream, I always use my vitamix blender. I use this to blend the milk, sugar and chocolate to ensure that the icecream doesn't have a grainy texture. This blender is extremely powerful and can even take care of rock-hard frozen strawberries in a few seconds. I love it!



Next we have our rice maker. This is only a 10-cup model, which is a little small for our family, but it works for now. I like it because it has a timer which will let you decide when you want it to start cooking. Awesome!


We now have our wheat grinder. After careful consideration, I chose the Golden Grain Grinder because it is close to industrial strength, yet very beautiful to have out on the countertop. It also actually grinds with stones instead of metal, which doesn't allow the flour to heat up and lose valuable nutrients. Isn't it gorgeous?




To use the grain I grind, I have this bread machine. I like it because it makes two-pound, upright loaves. Of course, it has a timer so you can add your ingredients into the pan at night and wake up the next morning to the smell of baking bread. It's a GREAT way to start the day!


Next, onto our our crockpot. I love this one because it has a lid with a rubber seal that can be latched down for easy travel. Great for when you sign up on the clipboard for compassionate service!

Last, but not least, we have our double cereal dispenser. It looks so nice that we can leave it out on our counter. The kids don't leave half-opened bags of cereal in the pantry anymore and it is a great conversation piece in the kitchen!

What do you use in your kitchen to make your life easier?

12 comments:

Salsa Mama said...

I LOVED this post. Very real life. I have heard about your ice cream... :)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laurice. said...

You are so sweet to offer to take Camden but I am actually in AZ at my mom's. Thank you! Your house looks great when I get home I want to come see it and Kyla's paint job she was telling me about.

laurice. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dearest Jen,
Why didn't you look a little harder? You MAY have been able to find an uglier picture of me, but I doubt it!
Love,
Your Mother

Nettie said...

What fun things to have in your kitchen! We have been going through the upscaling phase. Getting a bigger size of the things I already had. Bigger crock pot, bigger canisters for baking ingredients, and hopefully soon a bigger mixer. I've been wanting a new grain mill, too. But, have had the hardest time deciding where to settle on the price and quality continuum.

Dianna said...

Fun! I love my KitchenAid mixer. It's my stirring robot, so I can be lazy and do other stuff while the bread is kneading or the cake is beating.

I'm in the market for a wheat grinder; I picked the Golden Grain like you but now it's not being sold anymore, so I'm looking for something else now.

I also enjoy my mini food processor for doing large quantities of garlic; we eat a lot of it, even with just the three of us!

C said...

This is an awesome post! I am just loving your blog, especially the old fashioned slide show :-)

You're getting way too good at this blogging thing. I need to take some lessons from you!

-Christy

Kristin said...

I have an ice cream ball and a double cereal dispenser - imagine that!

Keeper of Banners said...

I think I am going to have to get an automatic ice cream maker for my wifcita. Mmmmmm... Ice Cream!

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

hi jen! i found your blog through dejah. cute! it's been a fun way for me in this town to get to know you girls in that town! i hope you don't mind, you're welcome to visit me too! i love this post about the kitchen tools. i would be lost without mine. i'm a small appliance junkie! :)

Autumn said...

I jumped over from Amanda's blog. Wow-kudos to you, supermom. I love your idea of fun kitchen appliances. You are a beautiful mom.