Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Candle Ambience and How to Make Those Cute Little Napkin/Silverware Roll-Up Thingies

Welcome to another episode of...


This week, as inspired by Jen at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam, I focused on using candlelight to create ambience in my tablescaping. We had Sunday dinner out in our courtyard again, and I used Walmart special glass candle holders, all-white tapers and 3-inch pillars. I've experimented with using other candle colors in decorating, but it seems as though white or off white give off the most light, which works well if you're using candlelight as the only source of light. I also liked pure white, rather than off-white because it worked so well with the white dishes I planned on using...


A simple rule of thumb when it comes to using candles is that if you are burning them during a meal, they should be unscented, so as not to unpleasantly mingle with the aroma of the prepared meal. Most tapers sold in stores are unscented, as were mine...,


...but I had a little trouble when it came to the pillars. They were only to be found in the scented variety, but when I discovered that the scent was "fresh cotton", I realized that these might work well, as perhaps my guests would think they were smelling my fresh tablecloths rather than a candle.

In addition to using candles to create ambience, we use cloth napkins to add a touch of formality at every meal. Guests almost always make comments about the fact that we use cloth napkins, but we have grown so accustomed to it, it doesn't seem like a big deal. For every day dinners, we use the Sam's brand (found in the restaurant supply section)..,


...but for more special occasions, we use colored varieties, like this...


I've also found TONS of really cute napkins at my favorite thrift store, for CHEAP, and it is fun to mix it up with those finds as well.

If you're wondering how to do the above napkin/silverware roll, it's really easy. The nine-year-old boy did the examples in the photos. Here's how...

Step 1: Lay out the napkin in a diamond...


Step 2: Place a knife, fork, then spoon on top of each other in the exact middle of the napkin...


Step 3: Fold the top over...


...then the bottom...


Step 4: Fold the left side in...



...then roll up...


Place with corner end down, so it doesn't not become unrolled...


It's fun to have some of these in a basket, pre-rolled, so that if unexpected guests arrive, they can simply grab one and join the fun!

Thanks for listening and have a great "Tablescape Thursday"!

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

17 comments:

The Bloom Girls said...

Hi,
Your tablescape is so lovely. I'm agree with you about the white candles!
Thanks for the instruction on napkin rolling. I am always looking for creative tips on napkin folding.
Nola @ The Bloom Girls
Nashville, TN

Patty said...

Thanks for the instructions on the napkin rolling. I have got to get out to more thrift stores and stock up on more clock napkins. I used to have tons people had handed down to me, but they were all given away... foolish younger me didn't appreciate them and thought I'd never use them. *sigh*. I totally agree about the candles. I have several unscented white tapers. Love them.

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

The table scape is very pretty.Love the rolling up napkins I will try this tonight and teach my little ones. Thank you! Hugs, Bobbi Jo

niartist said...

Ooooo, thanks for this! I never could get it right, but I wasn't folding over on the third step. YAY! Thanks again.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Thanks for the shout out - so fun to see your beautiful dinner. I love that you show your napkin roll. One of my next Tasty Tuesday posts is going to be all different kinds of napkin folds. There are some that are so easy, but look so difficult (and some that are plain difficult...;).
Have a wonderful weekend.

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Great table! My mother was the "Napkin Folding Diva", I think you have to be born with a certain gene!(I didn't get it) Thanks for the how-to!
Michelle

Unknown said...

The hues are so warm, rich, and inviting. Great tip on the napkins; thanks for sharing! Head on over to my blog and if you aren't following yet, please take a look around and if you like what you see, click on the "Follow" button. This way we can inspire each other often!

Dusty (To the Moon and Back) said...

Ah, this post brought back to me my 7 years of waiting tables. Rolling silverware is a snap to me now. lol

Jessica said...

I love "real" napkins. When I was little my mom made some for every holiday by sergeing the edges of themed fabric. She still uses a few that have survived the years.

Dana and Daisy said...

thank you for the napkin lesson!

Cynthia said...

I enjoyed the tutorial on napkin rolling. I am not very creative in that department. Thanks for sharing your lovely table. Have a great day!

ellen b said...

Love the table outside with all the white! What a great teacher you are. I'm sure I can even do that napkin foldy thingee now!!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Thanks for the lesson on the napkin roll - great idea for a buffet!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the napkin folding step-by-step. I like bundling the utensils inside and will use this often.

There really is nothing more elegant then white candles.

Bethany Cox said...

I'm ashamed that this post has reference to you being a corporate sponsor

Mary said...

very simple and elegant!

Care said...

Candles are intrinsically connected to many events in our lives, such as birthdays, holiday dinners and religious celebrations. Recently, however, candles have become a part of our everyday lives adding warmth style and mood to every room in your home. See how the candles have managed doing this.