Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What's Coming up in the Gardens...

Planting season is one of my most favorite times of the year, so today, I'd like to let you know what's going on in some of our gardens. Let's begin...

Most people who visit us know that the best entrance into our home is through the kitchen. Someone is always going to be there to greet you and it's become the main thoroughfare as kids go back and forth to school, friends come in and out and babies make their ways to fresh air several times a day. Here is what we have planted by this particular entrance immediately across from the kitchen door...


I've planted petunias and geraniums in one pot that sported a leftover cactus from last year...



...and in second pot, whose vines stayed alive all winter under the protection of a porch, I've planted more geraniums and petunias...


It's an odd mix, but I kind of like it. I especially love the pinks and purples, and how the tiny spilling flowers, of pink and purple combined, tie everything together. I dont' know what their called, but I love them.

Further down a bit, we have one of my favorite pots...


The ivy and geraniums came up on their own from last year with no effort from me at all, so I love the pig even more now.

As you walk out our kitchen door and down the sidewalk to the car lot, John left a large planting area between the house and the sidewalk that would greet the eye upon driving up to the house...


I don't know what these are called either. I just know that they came up on their own from last year and that they are hardy and love lots of sun. Look at the fun God must have had when He designed the different varieties...




As I look out my kitchen door, this is what I see...


It's a freshly planted herb garden, with a stepping path of slate pieces leftover from out kitchen construction. When my brother-in-law, who regularly brands cattle, came over, he asked what the formation was supposed to mean. I said, "Nothing. It's just a path so I can reach my herbs." He and his wife then agreed that it looks just like a nine and that it's perfect for me because I have nine kids. I agreed. It's perfect. I can't wait until the seedlings grow up and make their way to my dinner table!

To the right of the herb garden, John had hundreds of gladiolas planted in a raised bed surrounded by rock walls...


I didn't even know what gladiolas looked like, so I googled them, and here is what I have to look forward to...


...times hundreds!

Here is another one of my favorite pots. This was under a porch and survived the winter beautifully...


It's an ecclectic mix of a palm, english ivy and ornamental oregano. I love it!

A couple of surprises in the garden were this succulent that stayed alive over the winter...


I love it because it reminds me of some surreal Dr. Suess type tree...


(I've added petunias for visual interest.)

...and this absolutely gorgeous ground cover...


Last year I purchased a succulent plant which had somehow accidentally aquired a few strands of this and they were hanging out of the pot. The owner of the nursery had no idea what it was, but asked if he could take a clipping once it grew out a bit. I said of course and enjoyed the way it trailed out of it's pot all summer and fall. What to my surprise, though, when I began working in the afore-mentioned sidewalk garden a few weeks ago, and found that it had seeded (or rooted) itself in the sidewalk bed! It makes such lovely ground cover and is spreading rapidly. I am in the process of trying to root it to see if I can plant some of it in other areas. I'm totally in love with it and can't stop looking at in wonder because it came up by itself. For some reason, that just impresses me!

And with all these plants to keep alive, thank goodness I have help...


Whenever I look at flowers, I think of God's love and mercy. He certainly didn't have to make the world such a beautiful place, but He has, for us, and I'm so very grateful!

I am pleased to list this post @ Ms. Jean's...


Check out her blog to see what everyone else has coming up this spring!

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

11 comments:

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

i love love this time of year. everything is getting so pretty over there, can't wait to see it in full bloom!

Unknown said...

First of all, I adore that fact that you recognize God in your gardens..me too! Second, I love your combination containers, third, your mystery flower looks like assorted African Daisies? Fourth, what a beautiful helper! I so enjoyed my visit.

Paula said...

Your flowers are beautiful! I can't wait to see all your Galds in bloom - they will be spectacular! Thanks for sharing=-Paula iN Idaho

Wanita said...

Your flowers are beautiful! And how wonderful that so many of them have continued growing on their own. Your glads should be gorgeous when they are in bloom.

Blessings,
Wanita

Untypically Jia said...

Such beautiful greenery! I live in New Mexico where there's nothing but dirt and sand. I envy anyone that can grow a garden.

Jean said...

I love all your interesting containers! The daisy like flowers are lovely. I like all the color combinations. Thanks for joining the Bloomin' Tuesday fun! Jean

Suzanne said...

Loved this walk through your gardens. Your herb garden is wonderful. I have a some herbs in containers by my kitchen door and there is nothing better than going out, picking a handful and adding some fresh basil (or whatever) to a recipe. So good! Can't wait to see those glads in bloom -- spectacular.

Kristin said...

That post was such a feast for the eyes, Jenny! I totally know what you mean that a plant gains status when it comes up by itself.
Your mixes are honestly dazzling - lush, varied, gorgeous.
The "9" footpath is just too cool - I wish I lived next door and could enjoy all the fruits of your labors.

Carla said...

Loving your new page look. Don't you love things that do their own thing and totally amaze you in the process? You just can't out cool Heavenly Father! Have a great week Jenn!!

~~Rhonda said...

Your flowers are beautiful. The striped flowers are Gazania (also called treasure flower). They are so pretty! ~~Rhonda

Aiyana said...

Lovely garden. I hope you show the gladiolas when all are in bloom! It should be spectacular. The vegen food on your side bar caught my eye, so I checked out a few of the recipes. I'm going to have to try several. It all looks so good!
Aiyana