Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tablescape Thursday (Featuring the 14-Year-Old Girl)

Among the many thoughtful gestures I received on Mother's Day was the special dinner the 14-year-old girl prepared for us after church. She wanted to create a recipe herself, not follow one that had already been invented, and her main course of choice was stuffed bell peppers. I'm not sure she was actually going to set a table with linens and our finery, but I told her she should, so I could blog it for Tablescape Thursday. She would be the featured tablescaper and she was up for the challenge. I'll post her stuffed bell pepper recipe tomorrow, but for now, let's focus on what she decided to do with the table...

For the tablecloth, she opted for a simple cream-colored, tone-on-tone floral print, with pure white napkins. I thought this worked well because she chose pure white plates and bowls as well...


I love different tones of white together. She actually told me that she would have preferred to use clear dishes, but we hadn't unpacked the complete set yet from the move, so she settled for the Costco special whites...


(Yes, we should have ironed the tablecloth, and probably would have, had it not been just the ten of us.)

She wasn't sure what to use as a centerpiece, but as she looked around the kitchen, she spotted the following pitcher we inherited when I married John. I went to the garden and brought in some flowers and greenery I thought would work, and here is the result...


The following shot is completely posed. The 9-year-old boy staged it and asked me to snap a shot for my blog. It looks candid, though, so I like it...


Because the centerpiece was so colorful, she decided to tie it into the setting by bringing in bright serving pieces and accessories. Here are the peppers...



...and the salt and pepper shakers (purchased in Guadalahara, another set I was given from my mother-in-law)...


...and here is the final setting as it turned out.


(I need you to know that when you see the 17-year-old boy looking dejected and emo, it is totally an act. Every time he knows he will be in a shot for my blog, he immediately puts on his "I hate the world" face on purpose, just to get my goat. He's such a sweet boy.)

I was so pleased with the job the 14-year-old girl did. The tablescape and the meal turned out beautifully! She is going to be such an amazing homemaker and I can't wait to see that! Thank you for all you do for me, 14-year-old girl. I don't know what I would do without all of the help you give our family!

Stay tuned for the stuffed bell pepper recipe tomorrow!

I am pleased to list this post at...
Between Naps on the Porch's "Tablescape Thursday"
and
The Apron Queen's "Vintage Thingies Thursday".


Go to these blogs and check out everyone else's stuff! You're going to love it!

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

16 comments:

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

your daughter did a beautiful job on the table...and the food looks delicious! I know you are very proud of her! (I have 3 sons...so I can relate to your son) Happy Tablescape Thursday ~ Susan

Fifi Flowers said...

Nice to get your daughter involved!

susan said...

How wonderful for you to give her free reign! My grandmother did this with me and I believe it instilled a lifelong love of cooking and entertaining. We won't pay any attention to the 17 yr. old's scowls--that's normal :)!!

Michelle said...

WOW...she took a lot of responsibility for being 14yo! Setting the table, hand picking each piece AND making dinner.

And she did a beautiful job too!

The stuffed peppers looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Your 14 year old girl has great talent! Making a meal with her own recipe, I see a future chef. Beautiful table to top it off!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

This is wonderful! I love the white plates and the colorful centerpiece! She did a wonderful job. Don't you love having a daughter that would be sweet and kind enough to do all this for you! How precious is that? I love it!!!!!
Blessings
Debbie

Mary said...

What a beautiful job she did! Those different shades of white really allow the fabulous food to stand out. A beautiful table!

KelliSue Kolz said...

Lovely! I'm still working on my 11 and under crowd, trying to get them to enjoy peppers. I'm not making much headway, but they have determined they tolerate red ones over the green ones.

www.kellikolz.blogspot.com
Simmering over the Kolz

Lorna ~ Lace and Ivy Cottage said...

I'm a mom of 9 too! Your daughter did a splendid job at the table!

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

She did a great job. Setting a beautiful table is a great skill that she will be able to use the rest of her life.

Joyce said...

Your daughter is sweet and your son making the face for your blog is funny. Kids, who can figure them out? I can't wait for the recipe tomorrow. Thanks for sharing with me.
Joyce

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a wonderful treat from your daughter!

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO K! She did a great job! The peppers look good too. Cant wait to read the recipe tomorrow.

Kara& Bert said...

Beautiful I love it when you are reminded why you do what you do!Kara

Robin said...

What a fabulous Mother's Day gift.....she did a splendid job of it.

May you and yours have a beautiful weekend.

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

I love the white on white theme. And then the surprising splash of color! Great job.