Monday, May 18, 2009

Welcome to the 41st Weekly Edition of Homemaker Monday - Making Vegan Whole Wheat Pancakes Without a Grain Grinder!

Welcome to...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs. (By the way, if you have been featured on Homemaker Monday in the past, your name is on my left sidebar. Check it out!)

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to Tiffany over at The Crafty Homemaker! Her post was a little different than most posts I visit because she posted instructions on how to make homemade cleaning supplies via YouTube videos. There are several to watch, but here is one of my favorites...



Admittedly, I have two bathrooms without windows that, no matter how clean they are, always seem to smell unpleasant. I've heard of using a bowl of vinegar to absorb odors, and this week I'm definitely going to be trying this trick in my bathrooms. I'm going to be doing a smell test before and after, and I'll report on that next week! Thank you so much, Tiffany, for this excellent, informative, and fun post and I hope to see you around more often. Please feel free to take the "I Was Featured" button from my left sidebar if you'd like! For Tiffany's entire post, click HERE.

And now... for the "How I Applied it to My Life" feature...

Last week's Homemaker Monday feature was Homemaker Barbi's post on how to set magazine-style tablescapes on a budget. She had posted 11 tips, and while I didn't use any one particular tip this week in my tablescaping, I was inspired by reading her informative post and enjoyed setting several tablescapes this week for a dessert party I hosted while the men and boys in your church were out on a father/son campout. I plan on doing an entire post this week on how the tablescape turned out for Between Naps on the Porch's "Tablescape Thursday" (a blog carnival I've really been enjoying recently), but here's a taste of the fun I had...

(Photo currently not available...)

Thanks for your inspiration, Homemaker Barbi! You made my world a better place this week!

MINE: Although I've posted this recipe before, it wasn't vegan-friendly, so I've adapted it a bit for all of you folks who are trying to avoid using animal products in your diet. Here's one reason I love being vegan: It seems as though the ingredients in vegan recipes are easier to keep in long-term storage than are some animal products. Eggs, butter, cheese, milk and meat can be stored in powdered or canned form, but usually do not taste very good at all. As you will see below, all of the ingredients in the following recipe, except for the soy milk (which can be substituted with almond milk) can be stored long term without degredation of essential nutrients, as long as they are stored properly.

One other thing I'd like to talk about is the egg-substitute we will be using today. You have probably seen this ingredient in other recipes I've previously posted, so let's talk a little bit about ...FLAXSEED....


Flaxseed has crucial omega-3 fatty acids which the body cannot produce itself. Most people do not get enough of this nutrient and it is so, so good for you, especially your heart, and many food companies are adding it to their cereals and other health products. Google it and you'll see! When flaxseed is blended up, however, it makes a sticky, gooey mess, but when you're using it as an egg-substitute, that is exactly what you want - a thick, liquidey substance that will hold a recipe together. I promise you...that is exactly what flaxseed does! For one egg, I use 1 tablespoon flaxseeds plus 3 tablespoons water. When I substitute it in my baking recipes, I am never left with a crumby product that falls apart. Let me show you. Look at the following gorgeous pancakes and you will probably notice that they look no different than the previous recipe posted on my left sidebar. Enjoy...

Vegan Blender Whole Wheat Pancakes


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup soy milk
1 cup whole wheat berries
1 tablespoon whole flax seeds
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup oats (not instant)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sweetener, such as sugar, honey, or molasses

(In case you've never used whole wheat before, here's what it looks like...


...and you can buy it at any health food store.)

Directions:
Step 1: Blend the first 6 ingredients in a blender very thoroughly. This could take up to five minutes, depending on your blender. Just make sure, however, that you listen carefully to your blender for a change in the motor sound. If this mixture is over blended, the gluten in the wheat will begin to bind and create a sticky substance that will wreak havoc on your blender. If this happens, stop the blender immediately.

Step 2: Pour the contents of the blender into a mixing bowl...


(Your batter should be smooth as shown above...)

...and add the rest of the ingredients.

Step 3: Pour on a hot, buttered griddle and cook on both sides until light golden brown.

Step 4: Top with vegan butter spread and syrup or any other topping you want and enjoy! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Have a GREAT day!

OURS: Okay, I can't wait to see what all of you have for us today. Please make sure to visit everyone's link and leave lots of lovely comments. None of us can deny that we all love comments! Also, if you've never linked up before, don't be shy. We'd love to see something you have in your archives that can inspire us and improve our lives as homemakers! Thanks for visiting and/or participating and we'll look forward to seeing you next time. Have a great Homemaker Monday!




I am pleased to list this post at The Cheese Slave's "Real Food Wednesday" ! Check out her blog for lots of awesome real food recipes!


If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

8 comments:

Hoosier Homemade said...

We love pancakes at our house. Thanks for hosting!
~Liz

Dianna said...

Wow, thanks for the flax tip! I was wondering how that worked.

CompleteLee Blogger said...

Flax as eggs? Who woulda thought?

Homemaking with Homemaker Barbi said...

Thanks for the feature and the link love! I'm so glad you got inspiration from the tips! That tablescaping series was really fun to write, and my duaghter is loving learning about tablescapes.

As far as the flaxseeds, we usually just add flaxseed oil into our recipes as an extra source of Omega-3s, but I'll definitely check into buying the seeds. Have a great week!

Danelle Ice / Homemaker Barbi

Cheeseslave said...

Thanks for participating in Real Food Wednesdays!

I wanted to inform you and your readers about the dangers of soy. It's highly estrogenic, terrible for your thyroid, and full of phytic acid that blocks mineral absorption.

This is why traditionally, soy was only eaten fermented -- as in naturally fermented soy sauce or natto. It was also only eaten in very small quantities, and with a diet rich in iodine. Soy is a goitrogen, which means it blocks iodine (this is why it's bad for the thyroid but it's also bad for the ovaries and breasts and can cause cysts and cancer).

On top of all that, non-organic soy is almost always genetically modified.

Please do yourself a favor and read about soy:

http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/03summary.htm

Also, here are the health risks of GM foods:

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/Public/GeneticRoulette/HealthRisksofGMFoodsSummaryDebate/index.cfm

Kelly Spence said...

Can you use sprouted wheat berries? Or is it pointless since you will be cooking them at such high heat?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Kelly and Nate, not I don't think it would be pointless, as sprouting gives wheat a whole new level of nutrition, but I think you would have to tweak the recipe a bit, like use less water. I honestly don't know what would happen, but I think it would work! If you try it, let me know. I very well may have to try this myself. I have never thought of it!

Kelly Spence said...

I hadn't thought of it either until I sprouted more wheat than I was going to use. I tried the recipe with the sprouted wheat and it was good. I just used 1/2 cup less milk.