Thursday, May 7, 2009

Moist Vegan Banana Bread

I'm finally learning this vegan baking thing! Who would have known that vegan baked goods such as chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies and banana bread could be so moist and delicious? (For any of these recipes, just click the photos on the the left sidebar.) I found this recipe at recipezaar.com, but adapted it a little bit because I didn't have applesauce, almond or soy milk or Egg Beaters. I was so very pleased with the results, but the true gauge was whether the twins and husband liked it. They LOVED it! I couldn't get the twins to stop eating it for breakfast and I noticed John eating it when he didn't know I was lookng. That means he wasn't just eating it just to be kind! This recipe is going to seem a little odd, but stay with me. It's worth it!

Moist Vegan Banana Bread


Ingredients:
2/3 cup almonds
2 large or 3 medium-sized apples, (peeled, cored and sliced)
1 1/2 cup water
4 tablespoons flax seeds (This ingredient is used as a binding egg substitute.)
3 1/2 cups unbleached white flour (or a combination of white and whole wheat pastry flour)
1 cup sugar
1 cup agave nectar (if you don't have agave nectar, just use honey)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups mashed bananas (very ripe, 2 large or 3 medium)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups chopped nuts (This is optional, but I love it with pecans!)

Directions:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and grease two bread pans.

Step 2: In blender, blend on high first four ingredients until smooth, about two to three minutes.

Step 3: While the blender is blending, combine remaining ingredients in mixing bowl.

Step 4: Add contents of blender to flour mixture and stir until combined.

Step 5: Divide mixture into the two greased bread pans and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean. Let cool for 30 minutes, then enjoy!

I am pleased to list this post at Designs by Gollum's "Foodie Friday"!

If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love banana bread. I haven;t tried any of the vegan recipes yet but this will definately be the first one.

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

I love banana bread... so I need to try this one! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great Mother's Day ~ Susan

Jane said...

We are eating alot more vegan nowadays and this recipe looks like a great addition. Thanks and have a great Foodie Friday!

Kathryn said...

Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I love good vegan recipes, and this one sounds--and looks--so delicious. Dr. Gollum will enjoy this. Have a great weekend!

Bethany Cox said...

do you soak the almonds?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

No, Beth, I didn't soak the almonds, but it would probably be better for you if you did. However, the texture might change, so you'll have to experiment. Let me know how it turns out if you do. Love ya, Daughter...

The Brutsman Family said...

Did you use whole flax seeds or ground for this?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Kristin, I use whole flax seeds as I think they retain their vitamins better. Good luck!

Valerie said...

I love tried and true vegan recipes to make for my vegan friends. Thanks!