Saturday, August 2, 2008

Night-time Routine (Just in Case Anybody Cares)

Night-time is a special time for me. It means time to do something for myself. I know I should be sleeping, but then I will have to wait another 24 hours for my "me" time! Bedtime routines are important for children, but they also seem to be important to me as my routine makes me feel like I'm getting done what needs to be done. Here is the routine, just in case you care...

1. Bathe the babies. If I am at my mom's (which has been the entire summer) we bathe them one at a time in their little plastic tub on the kitchen counter. If I am at home, I place them both on a beach towel in the bathtub in about two inches of water and let them splash to their hearts content.

2. After bath-time, I hand off one baby to a helper, be it John, Mom or a child, and they diaper and dress him while I do the same with the other one.

3. My helper and I snuggly swaddle the babies with THESE blankets. I had them specially made to be large, but with only one layer of 100% cotton, hand-trimmed in yarn, because we live in such a hot climate.




4. Do a tandem nursing session. I do this by placing Hyrum on the left side with his feet to the right, then someone hands me Joseph and he is positioned the same way, with his head laying on Hyrum's tummy. They don't seem to mind this position at all. This is what they look like after they've had their fill...


5. Place them carefully in bed, one on each side, so that I can squeeze in between them when it is time for me to come to bed.


6. Set the timer for 2o minutes and clean anything. Usually I focus on the kitchen if it wasn't finished completely after dinner because I loathe waking up to a messy kitchen!

7. Go to lds.org to read one or two chapters in The Book of Mormon.

8. Write a post.

9. Read the comments I've saved up for this special time of the day. (This is one of my favorite parts of the day. Isn't it yours, too?)

10. Take my pills and vitamins, brush my teeth and drink a big glass of ice water.

11. Check on all the kids. To see exactly how I do that, you may refer to THIS post.

12. Check the doors one last time, say my prayers, then climb into bed between my two gorgeous little guys.

Unfortunately, this routine goes far too late into the night. One day, maybe, I will become an early bird, but for now, I'm enjoying being a night owl.

www.artofkimberly.etsy.com.

13 comments:

Rae said...

I love how you read your scriptures using lds.org. I haven't thought to do that but oft times I have the laptop right next to me but my scriptures are on a different floor of the house. Thanks for such a great idea!

Do you wait all day to read all of your comments? That's some self-discipline! I for one check my blog, e-mail, google reader WAAAAAY too much during the day!!! I might need an intervention!!

Betty said...

I hate/loath a dirty kitchen in the morning too!!
Your little ones are waaay too cute!

laurice. said...

I hate a dirty kitchen also...it’s the worst! On the other hand nothings better than “me” time! I like to stay up late when Derrick's gone just to have more time all by myself!

Anonymous said...

I read my scriptures online too, at least my daily reading. When I study and search I use my regular ones so I can mark them all up of course. I loved that you put reading them in your routine though! Making in a habit!

Laurie said...

Just wait until you are asked to teach early morning Seminary, then you become a morning person - and keep the late night hours too - very invigorating! (You will be an amazing Seminary teacher, don't worry the day will come....)

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

What precious little angels you have sleeping with you! You must be a good sleeper because I couldn't do it!
I love your little routine. I love what Laurie said about you teaching...ah yes, I can feel it in your future! Been there done that...staying up LATE and night and then getting up EARYLY in the morning! WOW, those were the TIRED days! :-)
And a dirty kitchen...can't stand it any time day or night!

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

awww looks like the most wonderful spot in the whole world to sleep. the only thing better than sleeping next to my olivia would be sleeping next to two! lucky lady... i dream of twins, i do!! :)

Jennifer said...

That picture of your twins after you just finished nursing them is so beautiful! You have adorable kids!

Kelli said...

hey. I care.
Did you read about Recruit 2?

BarbaraJo said...

Here is a comment for your midnight snack. I LOVE your posts. You have so much wisdom...great tips...and are hilarious. I need a dose of Jen every day.

the dutson five said...

Fun reading about your routine! It's interesting to know what all you mysterious blogging entities do with your time...
And, I love the idea of setting the timer for 20 minutes and cleaning. I definitely need to incorporate that one into my routine!
And, OF COURSE, the little twins are ADORABLE! I miss those baby days when I could snuggle them both at the same time! :)
Oh, and, I absolutely have to make sure all my kids are breathing every night too!

Anonymous said...

Very tiring just reading about your nightly routine. You are awesome! I keep late hours too but I think you get much more accomplished. Good Job

Krissy said...

You are amazing. I need some lessons. Wanna ditch town for a while and come see me in TN to train me on how to be an efficient mom??? lol How does your DH handle you being gone all summer? Mine does fine when I leave to go see my mom, but usually appointments back here don't let me stay more than 2 weeks at a time. That and me or mom are likely to kill each other... or me or a sibling... or something. Usually some verbal violence is involved before I leave to come home. LOL Anyways, like I was saying.. my DH doesn't mind when I leave, but then he thinks that I'd rather pick up garbage with my teeth than be home with him or spend "time" with him. *rolling my eyes* ... Does that EVER get any better!??!?! PLEASE SOMEONE RESCUE ME! LOL