Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Boring and Quirky...How can it be both?

Okay, I was tagged by BOTH The Farmer's Wife and CJ, The Purple Diva! Oh, I feel so loved! However, I don't really understand this tag. I am to write boring and quirky things about myself. Well, do they have to be both boring and quirky, or just one or the other? I just don't know. Well, they're all boring and some are quirky, so you just be the judge. Here are the rules to this tag:

The Rules:
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on the blog.
3. Write six boring and quirky things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Okay, here goes...

I eat the same thing every morning: I start with THIS (hopefully fresh from my bread machine):




Then I spread on this:



Then I pour on this:

>

Then I sprinkle on this:



This last ingredient is the most important part of the sandwich, as it is pure psyllium fiber, and is one of the things that keep this...



in good shape, thus making me a happy person. I HAVE to have this every morning. If I travel, I pack the PB, honey and fiber in my suitcase, along with a knife for spreading just in case I don't have access to one.

2. When I sit with my family at church and we begin singing the hymns, I LOVE to grab my baby's hands and move his arms like he's directing a symphony, like this:





For some reason, I really get a kick out of doing this. BUT, it cant just be back and forth random movements. It has to be in the proper time signature, such as this for 4/4 time...



...or this for 3/4 time.



3. When I was growing up, my father wouldn't let us chew gum until we were 16 years old. In order to sow our wild oats, my sisters and I would go out into the barn, sit in THIS VW, and chew. It was titilating!



4. Every night, before I go to bed, I have to check to make sure all the kids are breathing, even the 16-year-old boy. I stand over them and stare at their chests to make sure they are moving up and down. If it is too hard to see because all of the lights are out, or their breathing is not clearly perceptible, then I will stand very still, hold my breathe and listen and look, trying to get a better picture of whether or not they are breathing. If I still can't tell, then I will begin to poke them until they start to stir. Since I have nine kids, this takes an unreasonable amount of time. This habit is a burden that I should drop, but I just haven't yet. Also, even though our oldest is off to college and I can't check her breathing, sometimes I'll call her in the middle of the night just to make sure. I usually become well aware of the fact that she is breathing because of the loud sigh that emanates from the phone once she realizes it was only me just calling to say hi...in the middle of the night.



5. I feel that if I don't buy new clothes in my new plus size, that I will be motivated to lose weight, thus affording me miriad cute outfits in my old size. It hasn't worked yet, as I still wear the same three outfits (that look as dowdy as THIS) everyday, but I'm still holding out hope.



6. Regarding number 5, for some reason, I feel like I shouldn't get a stylish haircut until I get down to my ideal weight. I used to have a cute, short do, but that was two years ago. Since then my hair has grown 12 inches and I wear plastic clips to keep it out of my face, like this...



This is not a google image or a snapshot of my fourth-grade yearbook. It is actually what my hair looked like today before I went in to Walmart. I don't know why I think I shouldn't get a new do. I know there are many fat people out there who have stylish hair, like this woman...



...but I'm just not one of them right now. Oh well.....

Okay, now for the fun part...I tag my favorite blogging family members, namely, My Mom, My Aunt Bobbi, My Sister Kristin, My Daughter Bethany, My Cousins Ben and Ayrel and My Runnin' Cousin Troy.

13 comments:

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

ANOTHER REMARKABLE POST! YOU SO DID IT RIGHT!
I LOVED all of your pictures! You cracked me up again! Thanks for playing.
NOW, about the clothes and hair...I have SO been where you are. TRUST ME! But someone told me once for the sake of my daughters that I must take care of myself to show them that it was important for them to take care of themselves. (Not that your hair isn't cute with the plastic clips!)
But you so deserve to look your best! Give yourself a break, after all you HAVE NINE kids! That deserves a METAL and something nice for yourself!
You are one AMAZING person!
PLAY MY QUIZ!

Betty said...

I loved this! You are hilarious! And your baby is soo cute, swinging his arms. It looks like he enjoying it too!

BarbaraJo said...

I have to make sure my kids are breathing every night too!! When I went to UT to visit, my sister (who has two children) came and checked on ME! She put her finger under my nose to make sure I was breathing!!!!! HA.

Amanda B. said...

very cool! I actually relate to the one about checking your kids breathing. I still do this with my 7 year old because I am unable to stop. I guess now I know I will still be doing it 10 years from now! I also wear the same out fits because I don't want to buy bigger clothes..... I feel your pain! :) Fun to read!

Troy the Marathon Man said...

Jenny, I've completed my task.

Keeper of Banners said...

Prima Jen,

We are here in Col. Juarez and admiring your house from the outside wishing we could take the grand tour. FYI - we are planning a Glen and Ada Whetten Reunion for 2009. Please take a look at www.glenandadawhetten.blogspot.com for further information and spread the news.

Paul

~Karen_ said...

Hi! I came to your blog through Wiens World. Your quirks are interesting, with pictures even! I had to laugh at the one about checking your kids' breathing before bed. I did that when my kids were babies, I don't think I've done it since!

Brei said...

You're a nut, Jen - you ALWAYS look great - ALWAYS! And I love to hold babies and 'lead' the music in church too - is that quirky?! Maybe Bobbi or Rocky will loan you an old stethoscope to use to check on heartbeats when your kids are sleeping. Would that count if you can't hear them breathing? And I guess you would still have to call Bethany in the middle of the night, but at least they will never doubt how much you love them and worry for them!

Laurie said...

You're a nut, Jen - you ALWAYS look great - ALWAYS! And I love to hold babies and 'lead' the music in church too - is that quirky?! Maybe Bobbi or Rocky will loan you an old stethoscope to use to check on heartbeats when your kids are sleeping. Would that count if you can't hear them breathing? And I guess you would still have to call Bethany in the middle of the night. But at least your family will never doubt how much you love them and worry for them!

Amanda said...

I check my kids every night too. Just to make sure. If Dan gets up in the middle of the night, I make him check on them again for me. Glad to know it's not just me.

The Farmer's Wife said...

Jen you are too fun! I loved all of your intereting facts about yourself. That VW story was too funny!

Krissy said...

lol ... That was AWESOME! (sshhh, don't tell my mom, but I liked yours better. LOL) And the facial expression on your baby is sooooo funny, I had to chuckle on it, he looked SO into it! lol And DUDE, not allowed to chew gum until you were SIXTEEN!!?!?!? Please tell me that was just because you guys had braces and not because it was some strange and random rule! LOL :D

Anonymous said...

YOUR LIST IS JUST HILARIOUS!!!!