Thursday, July 31, 2008

How to keep a toddler busy while you're housekeeping...

Have you ever cleaned a room to perfection, gone on to the next room, then returned to the first room only to see it turned upside down like it was hit by hurricane Katrina? Well, then you must have a two-year-old! As my mom puts it, "if it can be moved, they have to move it!" -no matter what it is: a coffee table runner, toilet paper, books, pots under the sink, fixtures on furniture and cabinets, metal tacks in leather furniture, trashcan contents, clothes in drawers, shoes by the door, and the list goes on.

Here's just a little tip I tried this weekend and it kept Johnny busy as the kids and I did our Saturday chores. I gave him a spray bottle filled with water and a dry rag, showed him how to spray it and pointed to different things he might like to clean, such as trashcans, doors, floors, chairs and other things that he could reach. He had a great time, felt good about himself, and we were able to get our work done!




Now, if only I could get the teenagers to help without the long face!

9 comments:

the dutson five said...

Love it! You've got some great ideas!

Jennifer said...

That is a great idea! I planned on mixing up some safe natural cleaning products. Maybe my two year old can actually help! We'll see!

Jed said...

I recognize the long face! We get lots of those from our big kids when "asked" to help out. Unless of course they are wanting something, then they put on the over the top helpful act.

laurice. said...

I do that with Camden! It’s a huge success!

Carla said...

At what age does the 'this isnt cool' switch go off in us? Mine used to LOVE to help clean, then something clicked-from happy to help-to happy to argue anything to keep from cleaning/helping. (come to think of it-I think my switch clicked-and hasn't clicked back either???? hmmmm) I love the focus on your toddler's face-such concentration!

Kristen said...

I love this idea. My toddler would be all over a spray bottle. She loves wiping things down with a wipe!

Krissy said...

OOH! GOOD TO KNOW!!!!!!!! I haven't tried that yet. For sure will though.

Anonymous said...

My preschoolers love to clean. I hand them a spray bottle with a little water and a Mr.Clean eraser sponge and off they go. Little Johnny looks so cute. Reeds long face reminds me of Red.

Meghan said...

I am so going to do this with my soon to be 2 yr old!
Only 12 more days & he is officially 2.
This tip will come in handy.

Thanks!