Monday, August 17, 2009

Easiest Breadsticks Ever! Join us for the "Blog Hop"!

I posted this recipes a few months ago, but because it has been so popular, I decided to repost it for today's MckLinky's Blog Hop!

Here's a recipe that I think will make your life a little easier....

Quick and Easy Breadsticks

Ingredients :
2 1/2 cups warm water
6 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup oil
6 cups whole wheat flour
6 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
5 teaspoons yeast

Here are the easy directions...

Step 1: Mix the water, yeast and brown sugar in the mixing bowl of a mixer with a dough hook. Let it sit for about ten minutes, or until the mixture is foaming, like beer (not that I would know what that looks like, being a Mormon and all).

Step 2: Add the remaining ingredients and let the machine knead the dough for ten minutes. If the dough is too firm, add a little water during the mixing process. If it's too soft, add a little flour.

Step 3: Divide the dough in half, then in half four more times (You should have 32 pieces) and roll each piece into a stick about 9 to 10 inches long and 1/2 an inch in diameter. Place these on two greased cookie sheets. It's okay if they're close together.

Step 4: Let rise for about 20 minutes, or longer if you can.

Step 5: Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder and salt, then bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 20 minutes.

Here's how they turn out...


Let me explain why I love these breadsticks so much. First of all, they are animal product free, which definitely works for me. Second, if you're like me and don't decide what's for dinner until 5:30 at night most nights, this works out really nicely as it can be started and finished in less than an hour. Third, these are fresh, homemade breadsticks and kids and husbands, especially husbands, really, really appreciate homemade bread for dinner! Fourth, there is no white flour, which means no empty calories, which means you are doing something that will make your family healthier. So yeah, these are the best!


MckLinky Blog Hop


If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the little beauty below... Thank you for your visit!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Yum! Those look way better than the ones you can get at Fazoli's :-)

the brown couch said...

Where does one find vital wheat gluten?

Deborah
browncoucheventsATgmailDOTcom

Hey! Take a moment to enjoy The Back To School Thingy giveaways, reviews, & discounts!

http://browncouchevents.blogspot.com/2009/07/back-to-school-thingy.html

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Hi Deborah! I've been able to find vital wheat gluten at Walmart lately, but before they started carrying it, I found it in my local health food store. Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

It's still my favorite recipe you've posted...ever.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Wow!~ Really? Thank you so much for the compliment! I LOVE this recipe, too!