Monday, August 17, 2009

Homemaker Monday

Welcome to the 54th weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to Jenn over at Frugal Front Porch! She posts about how to make a boy's denim wallet out of old jeans and a torn-up western shirt. Her post really, really, REALLY made me want to get out my sewing machine! On second thought, I will show this to the 14-year-old girl and bribe her into making some for the boys! Check it out...


Isn't it adorable? Thank you so much, Jenn, for linking up with Homemaker Monday and sharing your knowledge. That's what it's all about! And please feel free to grab the "I Was Featured" button from my left sidebar if you'd like! For Jenn's entire post, click HERE.

MINE: This week, I would like to show you how to trick your children. Most of my children don't like the heel of a loaf of bread, which means that with every loaf of bread we buy, we end up throwing away two pieces of perfectly good bread. (Apparently, I don't like the heels either.) Sometimes, however, in a desperate situation, say, if we need to make a sandwich and there are only two pieces of bread left, one of which is a heel, it must be used. Let me show you a way to use the heel in a clandestine manner to fool your kids into thinking it is a regular piece of bread.

Step 1: Place the two pieces of bread on a plate with the crust side up, like so...


Step 2: Spread PB and J on the bread, but do it on the crust side, not the inside of the heel, as most might be inclined, like so...


Step 3: Place the two pieces of bread one on top of the other to complete the sandwich. You now have the crust portion of the heel INSIDE the sandwich and no one is the wiser....unless they are over about 8 years of age. Then this usually doesn't work.


You're welcome.

OURS: Okay, it's your turn! Please feel free to go through archives if you don't have a post ready and submit any tips, recipes, how-tos or advice on homemaking! Thank you sooooo much for joining us today and have a great Homemaker Monday!



If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

13 comments:

Dianna said...

You make me laugh. Love your tip!

Cheryl B. said...

Two other options of what to do with heels from loafs of bread - 1 - save them up and use them when making stuffing. #2 - save some up and use to make croutons from. Either way, just leave them sitting out for a day or two to dry out, then put them in a sealed container (insect protection). You too are welcome ;-p
I stumbled across something I thought I should tell you about - Barb, at 'Barb's Good life', is going to be hosting a rooster party near soon.

Anonymous said...

I totally do this at my house with the heels of bread! You're right, it only works until they are about 7 or 8, then they start to notice. Dang.

Lydia said...

yep. I do it too.

Anonymous said...

That is funny! I always just automatically open up the loaf of bread and throw the first piece in the trash. I may not be able to trick my teenagers but maybe I can trick myself.....LOL

The Farmer's Wife said...

I totally do that! maybe it is a Mexico thing. haha! There is a saying in Spanish that says the mother-in-law and the heel of the bread are the same, because nobody wants them. It really sounds better in Spanish...anyway! love the tip and hope you post your baby news this week when you find out!

Anonymous said...

i laughed cuz i do that too!!!!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Nice trick!

It made me laugh at myself actually b/c I've always heard stories about kids wanting the crusts cut off and stuff. Oddly enough, when I was a kid I used to beg my mom to let me eat the heel, and the crust was my favorite part of the bread! Maybe I'm just strange?

Christine said...

Love that tip. Thanks, Jen. I will try it because we always end up letting the heels sit in the bag in the fridge until they are old and moldy and then I throw them out. We'll try this!

mahmommy said...

Great tip! I always use up the heels to make french toast. My son doesn't know the difference but he's only 2 so it might not work for older kids.

Amanda B. said...

Love the sandwich tip!!!!! We are non heel eaters too....good idea! :)

Jenn said...

Love this idea. I use the heals for crumbs in my meatloaf mixture.

heather@it'stwinsanity said...

I have always done that too! That or use them for breadcrumbs.