Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Wordful Wednesday: And Even More of My Husband's Gardens....Come See!

Before you start reading or skimming this post, let me just suggest that you click the photos to enlarge. It'll make you feel like you are actually standing beside me in Northern Mexico! The resolution they make on cameras these days is amazing!

WordFUL Wednesday- for those of us who can't keep our mouth closed about our photography!

Today, I'm bragging on my husband again. Look what I get to see when I sit on my front porch...


(The vast expanse between the gate and the flower bed is part of our circular carport, which hasn't yet been filled with gravel.)

...and once I walk out the front gate...


...and closer...


...still close...


...close again...


...and close another time



(It appears that all of my attempts at creative photography include having a large single (usualy blurry) flower to the right of the subject.)

...and from above...


And what's better, look at all of the beautiful butterflies who love to frequent these zinnias...



I sometimes feel like I live in a wonderland! And a couple more things...

John has ingeniously incorporated many vegetables and fruit trees into the landscaping. Look at how lovely these decorative giant gourds are as they climb the wrought iron fence around our front porch...


(The sunflowers add an awesome quaint country touch, don't you think?)

If you like sunflowers, here's some more!




And one last thing...the herb garden he planted for me, photographed from the balcony right outside our kitchen door...


We go out almost daily to harvest basil, mint, rosemary, lemon thyme, dill and even edible nasturtium flowers, which can be used in salads and other dishes, of which I will post a recipe next week!

Thanks so much for taking this tour with me! I swear, I have the best husband EVER!

I am pleased to list this post @...



If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

22 comments:

GranthamLynn said...

I haven't been by in a while but wow what a great pots to come back to. I love the gardens. I really, really love it. The sunflowers are so cool.
Thanks so much for sharing.
Blessings,
Sherry

Kiki said...

WOW! Beautiful zinnias and sunflowers. Wish my hubby was that talented in the garden. He mows the lawn. Happy WW and take care.
-Kiki

LifeAtTheCircus.com said...

Truly beautiful gardens! Must be a delight to look on them each day!!

Muthering Heights said...

Your flowers are just AMAZING!

Samantha said...

those are such pretty pictures!

Peta said...

I love your garden, very pretty and inviting. My husband is planning on getting some work done in our garden soon. Im hoping it will soon be as beautiful as yours.

More Than Words said...

Wow! Talk about having a green thumb!!!! Beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Your flowers are so beautiful! I think you do have the best husband : ) Well, at least one of the best ones, right? : )

debi9kids said...

What an absolutely GORGEOUS yard! LOVE the stones contrasting with the colorful flowers. Just beautiful!

ps Is there a post you can direct me to so that i can learn about how you came to be in Mexico?

Claremont First Ward said...

I am SUPER impressed. What amazing gardens you have! I need to browse around your blog. I'm totally intrigued!

Anonymous said...

SO beautiful. I can not wait to go down and see you house. I am amazed!

BookLady said...

Oh, the sunflowers! I'm smiling now, thanks! :)

Cheryl B. said...

Hi Jen :-D
First off, wanted to let you know that I saw a wonderful "X" in the picture of your gate ;-}
Secondly, I still think your stone walls are absolutely beautiful in a very classy/rustic way - and yes, those two do mix!! Evidance? Your walls of course ;-p
Thirdly, H-U-G-E (as in gi-nor-mous) difference between your yard and mine right now ... Yours is evidance of the beauty of God's creation, as well as beauty man can create using God's creations. Mine on the other hand, is evidance of the messes man can create while being "busy". Let's see, the Tahoe is parked in the back yard, full of the glass ware, extra large coolers, metal plate stands, etc. which some friends had borrowed for their daughter's wedding last Fri. night. The 'truck' is now waiting to be unloaded ... but there is no space yet to put the stuff ... . The backyard also contains the enclosed (borrowed) trailer which contains the garage stuff B3 & 4 just moved home ... but there is currently no place to unload that stuff too ... . There is a tarp covered mound back there which is the dismantled 10 x 14 HO Scale train set. A guy from Brian's work was going to be taking it ... but that was a month and a half ago now ... . There is another tarp covered pile - 8 of our wood eight foot tables, stacked on their sides. They too need to go back in the garage ... A friend had borrowed them for their sons open house - the week before we left town for the birth of our grand daughter ... . By now you probably think I have a nice size yard. NOPE!!!
So ... what's the hold up in getting all of this done? Well, see... the garage was part way rearranged ... then Brian decided to go ahead and take the (non functioning) train set out since he had somebody interested in taking it. Seeings how all of our food service "stuff" had been stored both under and on top of one end of it, and other "stuff" had also been stashed around it .. that left lots of piles of "stuff" in the main room of the basement. And of course, it was not all organized piles 8-/. So, he started work on building wood shelves along the back wall of that basement room ... but then we were to the point we thought we were losing the house ... and then B3 & 4 were moving home, which meant they started clearing the horrendous mess in the front basement room, and insulating it, and ...
We seem to be in the middle of a huge "move this here, and move that there, so we can work on this over here ..." process. ALL of it needs to be done by the end of Sept. seeings how we do live in MI - and not having it done would just be adding fuel ot Murphy's laws, so to speak ...
Now - don't you enjoy your organized beautiful yard a teany bit more? o:-p

Brenda said...

Amazing pictures, how fun to live in such a beautiful place. I lived in Mexico as a child, thus I have a passion for mexican food :)

Unknown said...

Those are beautiful! I like the intricate ironwork in the first picture as well as the flowers.


http://blondesherry.blogspot.com/2009/08/ww-they-won.html

Tara said...

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!! i can only imagine what it looks like in person!!!

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

Oh, my! Those photos are AMAZING and so are your husband's beautiful gardens. You are one blessed lady!! Thanks so much for sharing. I really did enjoy taking the tour.

Have a wonderful evening!

Blessings,

Teresa <><

http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com/

The Prudent Homemaker said...

I never liked zinnias before. Seeing them like that made me rethink them! I'll have to look at where they could go.

I have an edible landscape too. In the summer vincas are the flowers that can take the months of weather above 100º. Most flowers don't make it in the summer (my nasturiums died long ago; they prefer to grow in February here).

My husband mows the lawn and I tend the garden at my house.

gigi said...

Those are awesome gardens! Lucky you!

That Chick said...

WOW! Amazing, GORGEOUS gardens! You put the little planter of strawberries and peppers in my backyard to shame.

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I had some time to do some blog hopping and thought I'd check in here since it's been a while. Wow! I'm so glad I did! I love gardening and your pictures are so inspiring! I grew zinnias for the first time this year and I'm so hooked! Your gardens are gorgeous! I'm off to see what else I've missed!

Manuela

Makenzie Call said...

It looks like I need to go to your house and snap some shots sometime! :) I took your advice and put some titles on my posts, I'm pretty happy with them. I think they add character to my blog! Thanks for helping out!