Monday, August 31, 2009

Homemaker Monday: Fried Green Tomatoes

Welcome to the 56th weekly edition of...


Thank you for joining us! If you're new to this carnival and would like to enter your post, please check HERE for the rules and regs.

YOURS: This week's "YOURS" goes to The Prudent Pantry for her post on easy hummus! What I love about this recipe is that she doesn't use tahini. Not that there's anything wrong with tahini, but it can be expensive and difficult to make on your own. At least for me, anyways. Instead of tahini, The Prudent Pantry uses spanish olives, then adds, basil, cilantro and other delectable spices to finish it off. I can't WAIT to try this!


Thank you so much, Prudent Pantry, for linking up with us and please feel free to take the "I Was Featured" button on my left sidebar! Keep these recipes coming and have a great day! For The Prudent Pantry's complete recipe, click HERE.

MINE: We're going to talk about tomatoes again. If you can't wait until your tomatoes turn red to use them, how about fried green tomatoes? Since moving down to Mexico, I've learned to make these and our family absolutely LOVES them! Here's how...

Fried Green Tomatoes

Ingredients:
10 to 20 tomatoes, depending on the size
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 eggs, beaten (or if you're vegan, 4 tablespoons of flaxseed blended with 3/4 cup water)
About 1/2 cup oil or melted butter

Step 1: We gathered about 20 green roma tomatoes...


Step 2: Slice them up...


Step 3: In a small bowl, mix together flour, salt and pepper.

Step 4: Heat oil or butter in a large frying pan, then dip each tomato slice into the eggs, then in the flour mixture...


Step 5: Fry until golden brown, then flip and fry the other side.


Step 6: Place on a plate with a paper towel or cloth napkin to absorb excess oil, then serve!


We served these on toasted bread with ranch dressing. Some love to eat them plain with tobasco sauce, and others like to eat them on BLT's. The possibilities are endless! As I said before, my kids absolutely love this, especially Twin B. He ate more slices than did the 17-year-old boy. I hope your family loves this as much as we do!

OURS: Okay, can't wait to see what all of you amazing homemakers have for us today! Last week we had lots of new links, and I'd LOVE to see that again! Have a great Homemaker Monday!



If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

13 comments:

bilbysalenger said...

Gal, you put Rachel Ray and her ilk from the Food Channel to shame! I am drooling just reading your posts. Most food photographers need to use certain gimmicks to make the food look more appealing (elmers glue for milk, varnish on turkey) but you seem to have a knack for presenting it as is and having it look spectacular.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Bilby, what an awesome compliment! I do have to admit that I auto adjust most of my photos with the Microsoft photo editor that comes with my computer, and sometimes I alter the contrast and brightness to get just the coloring I want, but I also very much enjoy taking photographs of food! Thank you for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Those fried green tomatoes sure look yummy. I'll have to try them this year at the end of the season with my tomatoes that don't get a chance to ripen!

Tracy said...

This is my first time in a Blog Carnival! Yay! looking forward to learning more from all of you ladies!

Shelley said...

Mmm, one of my favorites! I pick 'em green especially for this every summer. Thanks for hosting the carnival!

Paper Glue Etc. said...

This WW girl wants those fried green tomatoes....BAD!!!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Looks great! I know a lot of people who love these!

annies home said...

those look great

Anonymous said...

Man those look delicious...Made me hungry and I shouldn't eat this late!! MMMM MMMM GOOD

The Fisher's said...

Perfect timimg - I bought green tomatoes (too late to grow my own :)) for just this reason and wasn't sure how to do it - thanks!

CompleteLee Blogger said...

Thanks for the hummus recipe. That looks good. How do we link up to Homemaker Monday these days? I didn't see anywhere to put links. BTW, Love the twin pics in the last post.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

CompleteLee, there is a little things that says, "You are next" in red at the bottom of the post. I am not using Mr. Linky anymore, as he was too unfaithful, but am now using MckLinky, and it's a little different. Let me know if you have any problems!

alessandra said...

How possible I missed this post?
They must be yummy!