Monday, August 24, 2009

Tomato Garlic Salad with Basil Vinegarette

If you garden, chances are that you are wondering what to do with your surplus of tomatoes. I came up with this recipe because I had to bring a dish to a corn fry pot luck and I needed to use up my tomatoes before they became squishy. Everyone LOVED it. One woman came up to me and said, "Did you make the tomato stuff?" I answered that I did, and how did she know? She said, "Because it's really good." That answer didn't make sense to me then, nor does it make sense now, but it did sound like a compliment. Here's how I did it...

Tomato Garlic Salad With Basil Vinegarette


-Tomatoes, as many as you want (I used roma, about 20 of them.)
-Fresh garlic (I used 6 cloves)
-Fresh basil (I used maybe a handful)
-Balsamic vinegar (to taste, but I think I used about 1/3 cup)
-Virgin Olive Oil (to taste also, but I probably used about 1/3 cup of this, too.)
-Salt (to taste, I used about 1 1/2 teaspoon)
-Pepper (again, to taste, but I probably used about 1/2 teaspoon)

Step 1: Slice the tomatoes into slices about 1/4 inch thick.

Step 2: Finely chop up fresh garlic and fresh basil.


Step 3: Mix garlic, basil, salt and pepper in a small bowl, then add balsamic vinegar and olive oil.



Step 4: Let this marinate for about 30 minutes, if you have time.

Step 5: Pour marinade over tomatoes and stir carefully, keeping the tomato slices intact. In order to create a more appealing photo for this post, I garnished the salad with edible nasturtium flowers. Is it not attractive? The kids asked why there were flowers in the salad, and, instead of lovingly teaching them that some flowers are edible, such as the nasturtiums in our garden, which taste like pepper, I said during my rush to get dinner done, "Because there just are". I'll do better next time.


Enjoy!

I am pleased to list this post @...

-Kelly's "Real Food Wednesday",
-Tip Junkie's "Talk to me Tuesday",
-5 Minutes for Mom's "Tackle It Tuesday",
-Tammy's Recipe's "Kitchen Tip Tuesday",
-Blessed With Grace's "Tempt My Tummy Tuesday",
-Mary's "Tightwad Tuesday",
-Jen's "Tasty Tuesday",
Gollum's...



...and a newly discovered carnival...


If you liked this post and would like to join me here on a regular basis via email or other reader, please...
Subscribe

(You'll be helping to pay for at least one of the nine kid's college tuition.)
OR... bookmark or share this post by clicking the "Add This" button below... Thank you for your visit!

16 comments:

Ms D said...

OH, that looks soooo yummy! I am going to try that with my garden tomatoes tomorrow! :)

Bonita said...

Yummy and healthy- my cup of tea!
I will definitely try this one.

My tomatoes did poorly this year, not sure why. I've always had plentiful tomato crops, but this year the yield has been small and scrawny. I'll have to pay a visit to the Farmer's Market to prepare this recipe.

MadeInCanarias said...

I just made it yesterday :D
I love this salad.
Great shots!

Luvmy9 said...

Just the recipe I need. I have so many tomatoes now and still have company so I don't have time to can them. We'll have this tonight. I love your photos, too. And, the video of R was so cute. AFter M & M leave, I'll call you.

Carla said...

I'm so copying this! Thank you for sharing:)

C said...

This salad was SOOOOOOOOOOOO. SOOOOOOOOOOOO. Good.

I wasn't that woman, but I was at the party. I was the one with a huge pile of it on my plate. I also got the bit of what was left over and ate a BOWL of it the next day. Seriously good. Thank you Jen!!!

Bethany Cox said...

just so you know, the random interspersion of large font is rather stressful to look at.

Bethany Cox said...

well, i guess it's actually not so random, but it's still stressful.

Brenda said...

Like salsa, but not spicy :)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

That tomato salad looks and sounds wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us.

nana rosie said...

FUNNY.... I was just thinking I need to pick my tomatoes! But what to do with them...? This is what were are having for dinner tonight!
I love a good veggie meal every so often. Thanks for the recipe. Great blog, by the way!
Rosycheeks

Living It, Loving It said...

Looks Yummy! I am going to make this! Thanks!

Love's Gumbo said...

Oh yes I'm gonna try this salad. You know I saw Big Daddy on food network make a roasted tomato just like this just remove seeds, roast and cover with cheese. Can't beat garlic basil and tomatoes.

Melissa said...

Looks great! We make a recipe that's similar to this, but we didn't have a good crop of tomatoes this year. I've tried it with store-bought grape tomatoes, but nothing compares to homegrown!

Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship said...

Oh, for next year's tomatoes, how excellent. I bet it tastes a little like bruschetta w/o the carbs. :)

Your photos are always so great, and the new design is nice, not so dark.

Don't we all answer "because there are" sometimes!

Thank you for joining the October Fest Carnival of Super Foods! Next week’s theme is Un-Processed Foods, or things you could buy in the store but choose to make at home. Hope to see you back! (Hint: breadsticks!)
Katie

PS - Please add the link to the carnival in your post.

Jennifer said...

looks great - I have some tomatoes that need used up soon - might need to make this!